Table2
ID
EmployeeID
LeaveType (lookup) Annual Leave, Sick Leave
StartDate
EndDate

Annual Leave limit 20days
Sick Leave Limit 10days

The leave windows start from january and ends December. The leave process is flexible to the extend Employee John can take 5 days
of leave in January, then take 10 in September and than 5 in December. How do i sum it up? How do I prevent such employee from taking more than the 20 days when he take his
leave in pieces?
How do i limit Annual Leave to not more than 20 working days and Sick Leave 10 days

Please help

Georgenetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Access Help!

There are various reasons that people tell you to avoid LOOKUP fields. You have one. Down the road it will bite you on the butt. In fact, for the simple query I will show you, it already has.

You also described two tables named Table2. I'm going to assume that the first table is really Table1.

OK, to find how much leave a person is taking in a given year, you might need a query similar to this:

Code:
SELECT SUM([EndDate]-[StartDate]+1) AS Days, LeaveType, Firstname, Lastname
FROM Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON Table1.EmployeeID = Table2.EmployeeID
WHERE StartDate > ( Date() - DatePart( "y", Date() ) ) 
GROUP BY LeaveType ;
The theory of this is you will get 0, 1, or 2 entries. Zero for people who have not taken any leave at all, one for folks who took only one kind of leave, and two for folks who took both kinds of leave. The WHERE clause uses DatePart with "y" to compute something called Julian date, the day of the year. It uses the ">" sign because that particular computation generates Dec. 31 of the previous year.

Note also that if you wanted to look at last year's leave totals, life gets more complex as you then need a more complex method of limiting dates.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
Georgenetwork (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Georgenetwork
Newly Registered User

Georgenetwork is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Additionally, We only want to calculate workdays between the leavestart and leaveend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
There are various reasons that people tell you to avoid LOOKUP fields. You have one. Down the road it will bite you on the butt. In fact, for the simple query I will show you, it already has.

You also described two tables named Table2. I'm going to assume that the first table is really Table1.

OK, to find how much leave a person is taking in a given year, you might need a query similar to this:

Code:
SELECT SUM([EndDate]-[StartDate]+1) AS Days, LeaveType, Firstname, Lastname
FROM Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON Table1.EmployeeID = Table2.EmployeeID
WHERE StartDate > ( Date() - DatePart( "y", Date() ) ) 
GROUP BY LeaveType ;
The theory of this is you will get 0, 1, or 2 entries. Zero for people who have not taken any leave at all, one for folks who took only one kind of leave, and two for folks who took both kinds of leave. The WHERE clause uses DatePart with "y" to compute something called Julian date, the day of the year. It uses the ">" sign because that particular computation generates Dec. 31 of the previous year.

Note also that if you wanted to look at last year's leave totals, life gets more complex as you then need a more complex method of limiting dates.

Georgenetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,442 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgenetwork View Post
Thanks. Additionally, We only want to calculate workdays between the leavestart and leaveend
Calculating "workdays" will probably require a separate function like the ones available here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: