Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > SQL Server

Old 11-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
adnanhome
Newly Registered User

adnanhome is on a distinguished road
difference between oracle and SQL

Hello, I am new to SQL , I want to know what is difference between oracle query and SQL query, function or structure are same or different.

I have created database in Access using 20 different queries. I want to convert in SQL . It looks very hard for me. Any experience will guide me how write in professional ways.

Should I take 1 by 1 query and convert into sql and then join each query. what is the best way.

in my access database I used make table query and append query. Is it possible how to create make table query and append query in sql.

adnanhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
plog
Banishment Pending

Thanked 2,285 Times in 2,237 Posts
plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough
Re: difference between oracle and SQL

Wherever you go, databases use SQL for queries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL#:~...ystem%20(RDSMS).

If you know SQL one place you will be fine everywhere. This includes SELECT and action queries (e.g. INSERT, APPEND, DELETE). The different databases do have slight differences in the native functions (e.g. Now()=Access, getdate()=SQL Server, SYSDATE = Oracle), so that's usually where you will spend your time converting.

Writing functions/procedures use completely different languages, so any custom functions you have would have to be rewritten to whatever database you are moving.

To move queries between systems I would copy in the working SQL from the old system into a query window of the new system and see if it runs. If not, it will help you debug the query to get it working on the new system.
plog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plog For This Useful Post:
adnanhome (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,405 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Hi adnanhome. Just to make sure, are you asking what is the difference between Oracle and SQL Server?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,585 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

So far as I know, they both use ANSI standard SQL 92 (though that doesn't help much.) There is a catch to using ANSI SQL in that they EXPRESSLY allow vendors to design actions and features that exceed the standard. And they also wrote that standard in a way that the names of some class of DB elements is less important than their function. So a SELECT query is an ORACLE VIEW (sometimes) whereas it is just a query in SQL Server.

Both ORACLE and SQL SERVER have ODBC connectivity options. Both have "native" front-end interface designers. Both can manage a lot of data. I know ORACLE's procedural language is a variant of PL/1 that perhaps isn't quite as strongly typed as the true compiler language. I think it is called PL/SQL. Can't tell you much about SQL SERVER and its procedural language.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
adnanhome (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
adnanhome
Newly Registered User

adnanhome is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much all of you guys. In my access database it gives me final result that result there are some calculation. I want to covert into SQL query so that I could use it for reporting in PowerBi. I have using some external table on local machine. Can I insert those data in my sql query ?

Last edited by adnanhome; 11-14-2019 at 01:46 PM.
adnanhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,405 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnanhome View Post
Thank you very much all of you guys. In my access database it gives me final result that result there are some calculation. I want to covert into SQL query so that I could use it for reporting in PowerBi. I have using some external table on local machine. Can I insert those data in my sql query ?
Hmm, I am wondering what Oracle has to do with this...

|
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: