Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 AM   #1
yeng
Newly Registered User

yeng is on a distinguished road
Filtering form inside a navigation form

Hello, I'm looking for a solution on my problem. I have a form(DWIR) that have a combo box(SearchISO) that contains list of drawings from a table Isometric. Also have a subform(DWIR Subform) in Datasheet view which has a record source from a query(Iso Query) and has a criteria Forms!DWIR!SearchISO. This DWIR form works fine as intended to filter/display data selected in the combo box but when I put the DWIR form in a navigation form, it won't work anymore. I get an error "Forms!DWIR!SearchISO".

How can I get this to work using it in a navigation form?

yeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:17 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,397 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Filtering form inside a navigation form

Hi. You'll have to change it to something like.

Forms!NavigationForm.NavigationSubform.Form!Search ISO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeng View Post
when I put the DWIR form in a navigation form, it won't work anymore. I get an error "Forms!DWIR!SearchISO".
what do you mean by "navigation form"? are you talking about "form view" (this is the default view for forms)? what view is your "DWIR form" in when you open it (for instance, continuous form, single form, split view)? from ur description, I assume single form view...

vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

yeng,

I wasn't sure this was ur fault, so I tried to replicate the issue. In the attached DB, I did exactly what you're doing, however in my sample the combo doesn't work at all. No error, it just doesn't work. I'm using version 2010. hopefully my replication attempt is not missing anything. are you using the subform requery code that i'm using as well, or is your subform filtering automatically when the value in the combo is selected? It should.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Database1.zip (50.9 KB, 9 views)
vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
yeng
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Hi. You'll have to change it to something like.

Forms!NavigationForm.NavigationSubform.Form!Search ISO
I've tried this before with Forms!Main!DWIR.Form!SearchISO and tried today but didn't work.

I've dump this work around and went back to the previous file. I'm attaching the file with DWIR form working as intended but inside the Main form i'm getting pop-ups. I understand that navigation form queries itself and don't know how to work around with this issue.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Test Weld.accdb (592.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
yeng
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
yeng,

I wasn't sure this was ur fault, so I tried to replicate the issue. In the attached DB, I did exactly what you're doing, however in my sample the combo doesn't work at all. No error, it just doesn't work. I'm using version 2010. hopefully my replication attempt is not missing anything. are you using the subform requery code that i'm using as well, or is your subform filtering automatically when the value in the combo is selected? It should.
Hello!,

Thank you for the effort on trying to recreate the DB. Im attaching here the previous file where the DWIR form is working as intended in filtering the Isometrics but when it is inside the navigation form(Main) it won't work.

The first post is the work around I was trying to make and went here if there's any better code or idea to make it work.
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Test Weld.accdb (592.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:

I've tried this before with Forms!Main!DWIR.Form!SearchISO and tried today but didn't work.

I've dump this work around and went back to the previous file. I'm attaching the file with DWIR form working as intended but inside the Main form i'm getting pop-ups. I understand that navigation form queries itself and don't know how to work around with this issue.

Thanks.
Hi. See if this is what you wanted. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Test Weld.zip (51.1 KB, 10 views)

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
yeng (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
yeng
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Hi. See if this is what you wanted. Cheers!
wow! that was fast. Yes, this is what I wanted.

I was really surprise with this "Forms!Main.NavigationSubform.Form!SearchISO" in the query code. Didn't see these code in most of the google searches/sites that i've visited 'til here. Glad I registered on this forum.

Thanks a lot sir.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
wow! that was fast. Yes, this is what I wanted.

I was really surprise with this "Forms!Main.NavigationSubform.Form!SearchISO" in the query code. Didn't see these code in most of the google searches/sites that i've visited 'til here. Glad I registered on this forum.

Thanks a lot sir.
Hi. You're very welcome. Glad we could assist. Good luck with your project.

|
|
Old 11-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,517 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

When you use the Access navigation form instead of building your own tabbed form, you must be aware that this specialized form type loads only ONE SINGLE subform at a time. One subform CANNOT refer to another subform because the subform is not loaded. If you need the subforms to "talk" to each other, you cannot use the Navigation form but you can build your own form with a tab control that looks and works very much like the Navigation form except that YOU have control of how the form operates rather than Access "helping" you out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: