Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 11-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
Lightwave
Ad astra

Lightwave will become famous soon enough Lightwave will become famous soon enough
Re: Useful links

Hi Colin

Others people code always looks way more interesting than your own!

I will set up a links page and let you know.

Thanks for your work.

Update : I have a links page as well now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lightwave; 11-14-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Update
Lightwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,830 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks both for the link & the kind comments.

I've been busy today updating a code repository item on managing IMEX data tasks
Now that's done, I hope to update the useful links page on my website in the next day or two ... especially if the weather continues to be horrible tomorrow as well.

However I have to redo the entire website by the end of December (150+ pages) as the host package I've used for the past 6 years is flash based and being discontinued. Not looking forward to doing that but at least the new site will be a secure https URL

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
Tera
Newly Registered User

Tera will become famous soon enough

isladogs, A while back I saw a link in one of your posts as an answer to someone.
I don't know if it's worth being mentioned in your site or not, but it kept me reading most of the articles.
I just thought it's a good opportunity to thank you for sharing the link:
https://www.msaccesstips.com/2018/10...e-and-vba.html

Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #19
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tera
I added APR Pillai's Access Tips site to my useful links web page a week or so ago.
Its a very comprehensive site and definitely worth checking out

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Tera (11-14-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #20
Lightwave
Ad astra

Lightwave will become famous soon enough Lightwave will become famous soon enough

Colin if you are looking at wordpress - OceanWP have a free offering which seems quite good. I don't use it on my blog I use default 2016 theme but that was more because of timing.

I have done OceanWP for a client and so far I have liked the balance of flexibility and control that it offers. It is responsive and has a massive user base and seems to be continually patched. (2 things I look for in a theme). The only thing I don't like is that posts don't seemed to be referenced to the primary key of the post record in the url they use the title. But this is probably a minor thing and annoys me more because I am a database person. I suspect because yours is partially a business site you may be looking for more flexibility than wordpress not sure. They say you get better rankings if you have a responsive site.

I note that all the big guys pretty much use wordpress now. I also note that the majority of their sites at least, seem to be style over substance

Last edited by Lightwave; 11-15-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Lightwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:05 AM   #21
Guus2005
AWF VIP

Guus2005 is a jewel in the rough Guus2005 is a jewel in the rough Guus2005 is a jewel in the rough

For many examples on how to use VB i have used http://planetsourcecode.com/ in the past.

Easy to rewrite for VBA.

Other languages are also available there.

Still looking for a piece of code to scan downloaded examples for malicious code.

HTH
Guus2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #22
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanks Guus.

What kind of malicious code? SQL injection? If in doubt, I don't download.

Website links:

Old 11-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
Guus2005
AWF VIP

Guus2005 is a jewel in the rough Guus2005 is a jewel in the rough Guus2005 is a jewel in the rough

KILL() is a function i dont want to encounter in the code which i download.

Cleaning out tables is another one
something like:
Code:
for each tbl in tabledefs
    db.execute "delete from [" & tbl.name & "]"
next tbl
So as long as there isn't such a function which detects these things, always check if the code you download does the things you want it to do.

HTH
Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #24
sonic8
AWF VIP

sonic8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guus2005 View Post
So as long as there isn't such a function which detects these things, always check if the code you download does the things you want it to do.
Always, always, always check what downloaded code does, before copying into and running it in your own application.

Oh, and did I mention, you should always check downloaded code?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
MickJav
Newly Registered User

MickJav will become famous soon enough

Always make sure you backup every day or more depending how much work you've done I backup off site once a day and sometimes more so if something does happen I can recover.

Also be careful where you download from most of the good access forums the mods check the downloads but other sites dont.

mick

Creating a new project then add styles to it download open code example from:

MickJav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #26
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Many thanks for all the suggested additions.
I've now added almost all of these to my Useful Links web page. That page is now also one of the links in my signature line

Micron: a few of yours were broken links but as I knew all the sites I managed to get the correct URLs where necessary

Very happy to hear any additional suggestions for new items on the useful links page.

Website links:

Last edited by isladogs; 11-15-2019 at 03:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
sonic8 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #27
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. I will have to check them out.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #28
Guus2005
AWF VIP

Always handy:
https://www.connectionstrings.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Guus2005 For This Useful Post:
sonic8 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 01:14 AM   #29
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Definitely! I use it regularly myself.

Website links:

Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #30
Guus2005
AWF VIP

Also try this one:
https://jkp-ads.com/

JKP Application Development Services.

And links to usefull utilities like MZTools?

Finally, i hope that you stay with AWF because mendipdatasystems is not AWF #justsayin

Tags
useful links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: