View Poll Results: Guild Wars or World Of Warcraft
Guild Wars 12 28.57%
WOW 30 71.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGorilla
Probably more the latter. It just seems like everything gets reported to death all over the news which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Good thing if it helps find children but bad thing if it makes everybody afraid. The actual danger probably hasn't increased since I was a kid.
I'm sure the same is true for here too

Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #17
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGorilla
I don't disagree with you on that, other than the walking to school part. I wouldn't even mind it so much or mind their riding the bus except I would have to walk with them or see them to the bus stop because I would be afraid of a snatching or something.
Its a fear brought on by the media. "Snatching" as you call it is in fact extremely rare in the UK - it may be more common in the USA with everyone having a gun and all the killings you have in schools and all the psycho's on the loose.
Most kids live in a catchment area for a school, so there's always hoardes of them walking to school or getting the bus, anyone planning a "snatch" would be mauled to death in an instant. I see them all en-route to work every day.
What makes me sick is mothers who take little daughter or son to primary school in a 4 x 4 and get upset if the little one has to walk 10ft to the gates because of gridlocked 4 x 4's around the school.
We have one such school outside my office window here, its absolute chaos between 8 and 8:30 in the mornings and again at 3:30 pick-up time.

Col
Old 12-15-2007, 01:46 AM   #18
lilies34

lilies34 is on a distinguished road
guild wars is better than wow. that's for sure!

lilies34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
andrewneal
US Air Force User

andrewneal is on a distinguished road
Re: Guild Wars or WOW?

WoW hands down! Content is much better and Blizzard is always adding something new. Every week more quests and items are added to include holidays and things. I have a lvl 80 rogue, 80 hunter, 80 druid, 79 deathknight, 76 paladin, 75 druid, 40 warrior. My daughter has a 79 deathknight also and when I am not playing, you can bet I get my monthly fee money's worth out of that game. She plays as much, if not more, than I do!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
andrewneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #20
Rendbre
Newly Registered User

Rendbre is on a distinguished road

It is brilliant, I have a 62 Death Knight and 57 Paladin. My wife plays along side me and we have a great time. I love the professions almost as much as the questing becuase it gives such an extra dimension to the game and lets you make some really useful (and sellable) stuff.

My wife's sister is a level 80 so she can help out from time to time but we're trying to do it all ourselves.
Rendbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #21
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP

georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendbre View Post
It is brilliant, I have a 62 Death Knight and 57 Paladin. My wife plays along side me and we have a great time. I love the professions almost as much as the questing becuase it gives such an extra dimension to the game and lets you make some really useful (and sellable) stuff.

My wife's sister is a level 80 so she can help out from time to time but we're trying to do it all ourselves.
When you get to level 80, you most likely will need help. There is really no way to progress without grouping up to do heroics and raids. It's probably best to get into the habit now. I was shocked when I hit 80 and found it was like starting over and I actually had to work with other people!
georgedwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #22
Rendbre
Newly Registered User

I know, the guild chat is 90% about arranging raids etc, I'm looking forward to getting the good stuff later on in the game.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #23
rustyCrVx
The Post is a Lie

rustyCrVx is on a distinguished road

WoW was amazing to play but it soaked up soooo damn much of my time. Particularly being the main tank of my guild for raids, I was expected to be there. If we weren't raiding we were going after heroic achievements. It was the crack of the internet for me and thankfully I managed to make myself quit after my guild was busy fighting with each other over nonsense. It was incredibly fun though, just not in a healthy way for me. I'm just waiting for Diablo3 now. It looks amazing.
rustyCrVx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP

georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about

I agree about the time commitment and addictive qualities of WoW. I haven't played much for the last 3 months and what little I've played is in leveling a tank (so I could get more play time on the inside of instances). Sounds like having a tank will just magnify my problems, though.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #25
Rendbre
Newly Registered User

I know I was on there yesterday with my wife (both levelling DKs) and we got from 62 up to 64. It's amazing the amount of time that you just lose sat in front of the screen, we're currently in Outland as you'd expect and the sky is beautiful.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #26
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP

Outland is cool. There are parts of Northrend (Scholazar Basin specifically) that are extraordinary. And once you get to Northrend, the scenery changes based on your current quest chain. For instance, there is a place where you have to fight against flying dragons (while on dragon back) and other nearby quests. Later in the quest chain, the dragons (and other stuff) are gone and you have to run different types of quests in the same air space (Dun Niffelem).

I ran my DK as a tank last night (first time). It was immediately after a respec so I was fumbling around with my interface. One of my party members got so impatient, he logged on as his 80 Pally and super-tanked the rest of the instance. At least while I was tanking, I didn't get anybody killed.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #27
Rendbre
Newly Registered User

Yes, we're both looking forward to Northrend and all the good stuff. On our other characters (Pally and Warlock) we randomly got on the boat at Menethil and ended up in Howling Fjord which was quite cool but we didn't venture too far though.

So how do raids work? Are they like the other instances you get normally?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #28
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP

I just tanked for the first time last night. We ran UK twice in a row and I didn't get anybody killed!

Raids are big instances. They come in 10 man and 25 man varieties. The 25 man raids are more difficult in more ways than 1. The rewards in 25 man raids are also better.

In a raid, people usually have multiple roles, which may change from encounter to encounter. Usually, you have 2 or more tanks in a raid. The tank role is swapped based on the particular encounter. For instance, 1 tank may hold the boss while the other (off tank) takes the adds or kites another mob around. Groups can also break into subgroups where 1 subgroup fights the main boss and the other group goes into a dimensional rift of some kind and fights the boss' alter-ego.

Raids take a ton of coordination and I've made myself a promise to never go on a raid (anymore) without Ventrilo. I also require that all members of the raid at least be listening to the raid leader on Ventrilo. You should consider installing "Vent" on your PC and get used to using it.

Also, when you hit 80, the level 80 raids aren't immediately available (in theory). You need to run heroic dungeons (AKA "heroics") and improve your equipment until you meet a minimal requirement to get into the first raid instance. From there on out, you will run heroics (especially the "daily heroic") along with whatever raid instances you can to improve your gear score.

Also, there are "locks" on raids and heroics. Once you've become part of a party that goes into a raid instance, you cannot start a new instance of that raid for a week. Doing the math, you'll see that you can do any given raid only once a week. You can only do heroics once a day.

I could go on and on. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #29
Rendbre
Newly Registered User

That all sounds pretty cool, I'm looking forward to getting up to those levels and doing some raids. I'm a blood Death Knight (64) so I guess I'd be tanking, though my other main toon is a pally (only 57) so I suppose I could heal with him.

What levels do the raids start at?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #30
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP

I think there are level 60 raids but people hardly ever go on them. I went on my first raid at level 70 (Black Temple). The pre-80 raids are novelties only and level 80s will run them to get the achievement. I think most of the pre-80 raids have requirements that you be "attuned" to the instance (usually through having enough good gear).

Raiding in earnest will begin at level 80 after you've gotten enough gear (presumably via heroics) to last without dying quickly. The first raid instance is Naxxramas which requires you have cold weather flying just to get into (unless you do a quest to get into the instance). Naxx is pretty difficult and requires a lot of coordination between party members to complete successfully (thus the use of Vent). Raids get more difficult after that.

I think if you'll look at the comprehensive DK tanking guide on tankspot.com, you'll probably want to go with a Frost spec if you're gonna tank. You can also watch videos of some of the level 80 raids on tankspot, which is pretty cool.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: