Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
sunil3071

sunil3071 is on a distinguished road
Question report by grouping with substr function

i want to generate report by Grouping, the grouping must be on substr(fieldname,5,3) but the report by default grouping by ascending or decending oder but i want to use group with substr(fieldname,5,3).. anybody plz help me..where to define substr in group option in report...

sunil3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,125 Times in 4,057 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the site. Can't you add that as a new field in the query, thus allowing you to group on it in the report?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
sunil3071

but is not giving the desire result... i tried using substr function in data but in the group wise report instead of selecting none in ascending/decending option it is automatically ascending the group..how can i disable sorting in grouping wise report...

Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,125 Times in 4,057 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Can you post a sample db that illustrates the problem? I don't think I'm really visualizing what you have/want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
sunil3071

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
Can you post a sample db that illustrates the problem? I don't think I'm really visualizing what you have/want.
thanx for the reply..

boss i have attached the sample data test.dbf the sorting of gstno is substr(gstno,5,3) i want ot group the gstno with total of price... but he grouping of gstno is based on substr(gstno,5,3) which is required.. r in the same pattern as it is in data file....
Attached Files
File Type: zip TEST.zip (46.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,032 Times in 998 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all
in the query that drives the report add an extra column - not substr

mid(mystring,5,3)

returns a string of 3 chars starting at position 5

if this is supposed to be a number then instead

val(mid(mystring,5,3))

will make it numeric

now you can sort and group on this new field more easily
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
sunil3071

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemma-the-husky View Post
in the query that drives the report add an extra column - not substr

mid(mystring,5,3)

returns a string of 3 chars starting at position 5

if this is supposed to be a number then instead

val(mid(mystring,5,3))

will make it numeric

now you can sort and group on this new field more easily

dear i have treid this method also but not giving the required result.. but i want the result same pattern as it is in the attached txt file.. in the txt file grouping the based on 'Tin No. ' which is Character field. but i dont think this type of report is possible in access..because people are saying that it is one of the worst databse type with lot of problem.. but may i u r expert in this database can solve this problem.. i f u can plz give me the complete access report file in attachment ur mail to me at bhagat_sunil2000@yahoo.com. thanx a lot.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
sunil3071

Talking

anyone here who can say i am expert in access to solve this problem
dear i have treid this method also but not giving the required result.. but i want the result same pattern as it is in the attached txt file.. in the txt file grouping the based on 'Tin No. ' which is Character field. but i dont think this type of report is possible in access..because people are saying that it is one of the worst databse type with lot of problem.. but may i u r expert in this database can solve this problem.. i f u can plz give me the complete access report file in attachment ur mail to me at bhagat_sunil2000@yahoo.com. thanx a lot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: