Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #526
MSAccessRookie
AWF VIP

MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Insurance programs are based on the fact that most people will not collect anything at all. A program where everyone who pays in also collects is by definition not insurance.
Earlier someone (I am not sure who) referred to "Social Security Caps". In reality, because of these "Caps", very few people get out of the program anything near what they actually pay into it. A Lesson in Basic Social Security Funding would be appropriate at this time.

There are three kinds of "Caps" in the program.
  1. A maximum amount of dollars that you can receive per month regardless of how much you contributed in their lifetime.
  2. The Number of months in a given year that it takes for you to reach your "Annual Cap".
  3. The Number of years that it takes for you to reach your "Lifetime Cap".
When I retire (Assuming I live that long and Social Security is still here to pay me), I expect to receive the maximum amount because:
  • I used to reach my Annual cap by August, and therefore In effect, from January to August I was paying for my own Social Security, and From September to December I was paying for someone else's.
  • I reached my Lifetime Cap when I turned 44 (A few years ago), and since then, 100% of what I pay funds someone else's Social Security, since I am unable to increase the amount that I can be paid out.
I am not making these statements as a matter of complaint, but rather to show that the people who said that it was a type of insurance are more correct then they are being given credit for.

This forum is about taking the next step (or perhaps the next two steps) toward becoming a better Access programmer, and the AWF Forum Members will help you on your journey.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MSAccessRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #527
MSAccessRookie
AWF VIP

MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough MSAccessRookie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHigg View Post
I'm guessing that if you have a birth certificate you can get ss even if you never paid a dime into the system.
This may be true, but you can collect more than you have paid in.

This forum is about taking the next step (or perhaps the next two steps) toward becoming a better Access programmer, and the AWF Forum Members will help you on your journey.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #528
KenHigg

KenHigg has a spectacular aura about KenHigg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAccessRookie View Post
Earlier someone (I am not sure who) referred to "Social Security Caps". In reality, because of these "Caps", very few people get out of the program anything near what they actually pay into it. A Lesson in Basic Social Security Funding would be appropriate at this time.

There are three kinds of "Caps" in the program.
  1. A maximum amount of dollars that you can receive per month regardless of how much you contributed in their lifetime.
  2. The Number of months in a given year that it takes for you to reach your "Annual Cap".
  3. The Number of years that it takes for you to reach your "Lifetime Cap".
When I retire (Assuming I live that long and Social Security is still here to pay me), I expect to receive the maximum amount because:
  • I used to reach my Annual cap by August, and therefore In effect, from January to August I was paying for my own Social Security, and From September to December I was paying for someone else's.
  • I reached my Lifetime Cap when I turned 44 (A few years ago), and since then, 100% of what I pay funds someone else's Social Security, since I am unable to increase the amount that I can be paid out.
I am not making these statements as a matter of complaint, but rather to show that the people who said that it was a type of insurance are more correct then they are being given credit for.
Where'd you get all of this info?

ken

“You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.”
KenHigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #529
MSAccessRookie
AWF VIP

The Social Security Administration has plenty of information available but Most of the information I got from HR Bulletins and Union postings from the place that I used to work.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #530
Brianwarnock
Retired

Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
They aren't insurance programs. An insurance program is where you pay in a small percentage of what you might claim, based on the risk that you would actually file a claim.
Everybody gets social security and medicare. Therefore, they are not insurance programs.
Whose definition is that.
I paid for my house with a with profits Insurance policy, it was designed to pay off the mortgage and hand me a nice little bonus, which it did. They are not sold these days but it was an insurance policy, if I had died it would have paid off the mortgage even if it was in the first year.

Brian

I do not have Access these days 2015
Brianwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #531
Alisa

Alisa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHigg View Post
I'm guessing that if you have a birth certificate you can get ss even if you never paid a dime into the system.
Not true. Your benefits are calculated on the basis of how much you have paid in.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #532
MSAccessRookie
AWF VIP

Quote:
Not true. Your benefits are calculated on the basis of how much you have paid in.
Not exactly. Your MONTHLY benefits are calculated based on that. Once you have paid money into the system (and not as much as you might imagine), you can collect for the rest of your life (once you are eligible). For some people who work on and off, and do not hold long standing jobs, this means that they actually stand a chance to be able to take out more than they put in.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #533
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
Ron Paul was the only candidate that would have done that.
The smartest comment made in this entire thread...

“It follows then as certain that night succeeds the day, that without normalization, we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” - with apologies to George Washington
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: