Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #46
dkinley
Access Hack by Choice
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MidSouth, USA
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
dkinley has a spectacular aura about dkinley has a spectacular aura about
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwarnock View Post
I realise that my other post was ignored and so I guess this one will be, perhaps I should leave this thread to the Americans, but not one of the obvious Republicans has commented critically, I nearly said sensibly but thought that unkind, on the 1st post, all they seem to have done is reply, and you can almost hear the whine in their voices, "The Democrats are just as bad", so I guess that answers the question posed by the thread title.

Brian
Hehehe ... I very much agree with your previous post. But it in my opinion, it was political-bating guised as true concern for racism (instead of how we get it on the news) but the drivel tires me out so am not part of this disussion since it is off the mark.

-dK

EDIT: I should say just an observer and not an active part. I mean, who doesn't like a good car crash?

dkinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #47
Alisa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alisa will become famous soon enough
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedwilkinson View Post
Where is the documentation? Does it include duped white people? And could you explain to us why it matters that I was given a subprime mortgage when my credit was good enough to qualify me for a regular mortgage?



Why not? Isn't it key to your argument that racism is rampant?



I don't think either of them share my personal values. The only one of the lot who is anything like me is Sarah Palin.

However, between Obama and McCain, McCain is the one who has more political values in common with me. I just can't stomach liberal politics.

And it has nothing to do with divorce. Many people make mistakes in their choice of mates. The greatest president in the US was re-married to a fine woman.

You can't stomach values like upholding our constitution, reigning in irresponsible corrupt government spending, and strengthening America's position in the world?
__________________
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #48
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX USA!!!
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Breaking News! Africans actually enslaved themselves!
Really? I didn't know that. Was it recent?

I had heard that black Africans had sold slaves to white traders back in the early days...is that what you mean? Or is this more recent?

Or are you mixing what happened over a hundred years ago up with the bigotry and malice of today's racists?

__________________
Thanks,
George Wilkinson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
georgedwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #49
Alisa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alisa will become famous soon enough
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwarnock View Post
The fact that the article is produced for political reasons, doesn't, if the facts are correct, lesson the indication of the racial aspect of American life.
A point that should not be ignored!
__________________
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #50
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX USA!!!
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
You can't stomach values like upholding our constitution, reigning in irresponsible corrupt government spending, and strengthening America's position in the world?
No, I like those things, that's why I'm voting McCain/Palin.
__________________
Thanks,
George Wilkinson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
georgedwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #51
Alisa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alisa will become famous soon enough
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedwilkinson View Post
Really? I didn't know that. Was it recent?

I had heard that black Africans had sold slaves to white traders back in the early days...is that what you mean? Or is this more recent?

Or are you mixing what happened over a hundred years ago up with the bigotry and malice of today's racists?
You can't sidestep the issue of systemic racism by pointing out that there are people of all colors that are intolerant.

And I would disagree with your earlier point anyway - speaking out against oppression doesn't make you racist. Even speaking out radically doesn't make you racist. I would say that the vast majority of what I call "hate speech" (as opposed to free speech) is conducted by whites and is focussed on demonizing immigrants, poor people, people of color, etc etc.
__________________
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #52
Alisa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alisa will become famous soon enough
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedwilkinson View Post
No, I like those things, that's why I'm voting McCain/Palin.
Right, because supporting a kajillion dollar bailout for their rich donors bodes well for reigning in government spending

__________________
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #53
Rich
Newly Registered User
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: searching the truth
Posts: 2,898
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rich is on a distinguished road
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwarnock View Post
I realise that my other post was ignored and so I guess this one will be,

Brian
Don't loose any sleep over it Bri, I'm still waiting to learn what the mission is in Iraq
__________________
Amateurs...built the ark.Professionals...built the Titanic
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #54
Alisa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alisa will become famous soon enough
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedwilkinson View Post
No, I like those things, that's why I'm voting McCain/Palin.

And starting wars with Iran and Russia would really make sense for improving our standing in the world
__________________
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #55
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX USA!!!
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwarnock View Post
I realise that my other post was ignored and so I guess this one will be, perhaps I should leave this thread to the Americans, but not one of the obvious Republicans has commented critically, I nearly said sensibly but thought that unkind, on the 1st post, all they seem to have done is reply, and you can almost hear the whine in their voices, "The Democrats are just as bad", so I guess that answers the question posed by the thread title.


Brian
Sorry, I didn't see your other post. I don't think I'm whining, and I've given evidence that the Republicans aren't racist at all, but that the Democrats (i.e. members of the OP's party) are not "just as bad", they are worse, being the outright racists. They have in fact tricked minorities into somehow believing that they are good for minorities/women.

And I've also given evidence that just as bad things can happen to white people as happen to black people. But somehow we trudge on.

Can you be specific about who was whining and how they failed to address the issue? I'm not likely to address an issue without getting to the point as to whether the argument is based on anything real.
__________________
Thanks,
George Wilkinson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
georgedwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #56
Banana
split with a cherry atop.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,315
Thanks: 0
Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts
Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Well, I know better than to walk in flamebait, but I can't resist, so make it crisp, please! Hold the mayo!


Yes, rascism is a serious problem. It is so unfortunate that the Civil Rights movement has been largely spat on and dismissed in favor of "group equality". It is because of Affirmative Actions, Equal Employment Opportunity, War on Drugs, racial quotas, and so many things promising to eliminiate racism by promoting group equality has ruined everyone all around.

The fact is that nobody is created equal, equipped with equal abilities. However, in eye of law, every individual is equal to other peer, and that should be the sole yardstick. The membership of individual WRT race, religion, and social standing is totally irrelevant. The fact is that every time we try to equalize a group's perceived or real social wants, we are perpetuating the racism.

Not until we go back to the Civil Rights movement, which was all about re-claiming the *individual* equality, demanding that *individual* be equal in the eye of law, with *no* treatments for *any* one else, the racisim isn't going away anytime soon.


Oh, yeah... and quit playing the race card. Let's talk about merits, mmmkay?
__________________
If relation-valued attributes and arbitrarily complex types are wrong, then I don't wanna to be right!
Founder of 'Blame the Developers First' crowd.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #57
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX USA!!!
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Right, because supporting a kajillion dollar bailout for their rich donors bodes well for reigning in government spending
Gotta set you straight here. Obama is for the $700 billion bail out of the financial industry. McCain (and seemingly Joe Biden) seems to oppose it.

BTW, I'm with Obama on this. Unlike many conservatives, I have absolutely no problem with government spending, as I've said in the past.
__________________
Thanks,
George Wilkinson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
georgedwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #58
georgedwilkinson
AWF VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX USA!!!
Posts: 3,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about georgedwilkinson has a spectacular aura about
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
And starting wars with Iran and Russia would really make sense for improving our standing in the world
I don't know of anybody in any country on any side of the debate who wants that.
__________________
Thanks,
George Wilkinson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
georgedwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #59
Alisa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alisa will become famous soon enough
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedwilkinson View Post
Gotta set you straight here. Obama is for the $700 billion bail out of the financial industry. McCain (and seemingly Joe Biden) seems to oppose it.

BTW, I'm with Obama on this. Unlike many conservatives, I have absolutely no problem with government spending, as I've said in the past.

Obama is not for a blank check bailout.
So you don't have a problem with the fact that we are slowly but surely mortgaging ourselves to the Chinese?
__________________
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #60
Banana
split with a cherry atop.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,315
Thanks: 0
Thanked 90 Times in 72 Posts
Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all Banana is a name known to all
Re: In case anyone thought racism in America was dead . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedwilkinson View Post
Gotta set you straight here. Obama is for the $700 billion bail out of the financial industry. McCain (and seemingly Joe Biden) seems to oppose it.
And to set you straight, McCain & Palin has gone on the record saying that bailout is sadly necessary.

As I said before, there's no real difference between McCain & Obama.

Quote:
BTW, I'm with Obama on this. Unlike many conservatives, I have absolutely no problem with government spending, as I've said in the past.
I'll have to disagree- every tub must stand on its bottom.



Alisa- Yes, he is.

Quote:
SEN. BARACK OBAMA: Today, I fully support the efforts of Secretary Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke to work in a bipartisan spirit with Congress to find a solution of this sort. What we’re looking at right now is to provide the Treasury and the Federal Reserve with as broad authority as is necessary to stabilize markets and to maintain credit.

SEN. JOHN McCAIN: To deal with the immediate crisis, I will lead in the creation of the Mortgage and Financial Institutions trust, the MFI. The underlying principle of the MFI or any approach considered by Congress should be to keep people in their homes and safeguard the life savings of all Americans by protecting our financial system and capital markets.
Full article

__________________
If relation-valued attributes and arbitrarily complex types are wrong, then I don't wanna to be right!
Founder of 'Blame the Developers First' crowd.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting Decimals to Fractions robbie9 Forms 19 11-21-2019 12:49 PM
converting figures to words puthenveetil General 9 07-20-2008 12:21 PM
[SOLVED] Runtime error 'You cancelled the previous operation' Oidhche Modules & VBA 0 08-10-2001 12:40 AM
displaying numbers as words jhansen Reports 2 07-25-2001 06:34 AM
number in words varunmathur Modules & VBA 5 03-13-2001 07:39 AM




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Microsoft Access Help
General
Tables
Queries
Forms
Reports
Macros
Modules & VBA
Theory & Practice
Access FAQs
Code Repository
Sample Databases
Video Tutorials

Featured Forum post


Sponsored Links


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) copyright 2017 Access World