Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Windows

Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
rede96
Newly Registered User

rede96 is on a distinguished road
Question Remote Desktop Issue

I have a stand alone PC that is connected to the local network. I have an access database that I use for running some update tasks over night. Basically I open the database, set a time for a form onTimer event to trigger and leave it running. Then I lock the desktop and it will run every night no problem.

Sometimes I connect the to local PC from my laptop via Remote Desktop. Iíd do what I needed to and disconnected. And the database would continue to run after a disconnected.

Now for some reason if I connect to the local pc using Remote Desktop, when I disconnect it stops the database from running! If I log back in using Remote Desktop at some point later the code in my database will start again and Ďcatch upí from the point I disconnected. But as soon as I disconnect all stops!

Whatís changed!!

The only way I get this to run every night is to log into the local pc, set the database running and lock the screen. I can no longer Remote Desktop as it kills everything when I disconnect.

Can someone help please?

Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough
Re: Remote Desktop Issue

There have been some security updates to RDP in the last 6 months, maybe a setting somewhere has changed and it's logging you out of the remote desktop rather than simply closing the RDP session?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
rede96
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
There have been some security updates to RDP in the last 6 months, maybe a setting somewhere has changed and it's logging you out of the remote desktop rather than simply closing the RDP session?
Thanks for the reply. I did already check the session time out setting and changed them to never time out. But that didnít work. Itís as if when I end the session everything on the pc just stops. Well my code in my database. So maybe itís an office or access update? No idea really. But unless I open my database on the local pc then it just doesnít work.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Minty
AWF VIP

Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

This https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral
seems to suggest that it might be a windows update problem...

Might be worth a further google?

Old 09-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Minty
AWF VIP

To add to my other reply some users have managed to fix this by running

Code:
powercfg -h off
from the command line. No idea if that will fix your issue.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #6
rede96
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
To add to my other reply some users have managed to fix this by running

Code:
powercfg -h off
from the command line. No idea if that will fix your issue.
Hi Again, sorry the late reply. Not been around for a few days.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. Tried a lot, but really can't figure it out. So guess I'll have to try and think of another appraoch.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Try Chrome Remote Desktop?

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,075 Times in 2,793 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Try creating a scheduled task to run the overnight updates as an alternative approach.
Set the task to wake the computer if necessary at a specified time then to open your app so it runs a macro to perform the updates then quit the app when done.
I've used this approach for over a decade and remoting in to the workstation has never caused any issues with the task.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)

Last edited by isladogs; 09-23-2019 at 08:10 AM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Tera
Newly Registered User

Tera will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Set the task to wake the computer if necessary at a specified time then to open your app so it runs a macro to perform the updates then quit the app when done.
What kind of update are we talking about? Windows? or Access? Why should it be done over night? Which version of windows? Are the updates from Microsoft so frequent and so lengthy that a daily or weekly schedule is necessary?
(Am I hi jacking the thread? )

My windows 10 recognizes the ideal time and depending on the necessary time, it chooses my lunch time or 3PM rest time or others to update itself. For much lengthy updates, it waits until I switch off the PC and leave the office. And I think it's been there since windows 7.

Last edited by Tera; 09-23-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
What kind of update are we talking about? Windows? or Access? Why should it be done over night? Which version of windows? Are the updates from Microsoft so frequent and so lengthy that a daily or weekly schedule is necessary?
(Am I hi jacking the thread? )
Probably ... as you appear to be asking me rather than the OP ...

I'm talking about updating staff, student and school records in Access from an external database. Some of these updates involve changes and additions to a lot of tables using CSV files generated as part of the update. As a result it takes 30-45 minutes to complete during which time the main database needs to be locked from other users who can also use it remotely. So the task is done in the middle of the night.

I also run other scheduled tasks in the middle of the day where these can be done quickly without affecting end users. For example, importing am/pm attendance data twice daily.

If you want to continue this discussion I suggest its moved to a separate thread

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Tera (09-23-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 03:01 AM   #11
rede96
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Try creating a scheduled task to run the overnight updates as an alternative approach.
I've used this approach for over a decade and remoting in to the workstation has never caused any issues with the task.
I can create a task and it will open the database but the database won't run it's code. (From the on timer event on a form that opens with the database.)

The code works fine whilst im in the remote session. But as soon as I close the remote session it seems VBA just won't execute.

So possible a new Office or Windows security update?

EDIT: As soon as I re-connect to the remote desktop, the code starts to run.

Last edited by rede96; 09-24-2019 at 03:18 AM.
rede96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 AM   #12
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

The approach has been working for me for over 10 years running different version of Access (2003/2010/2016/365) during that time

The scheduled task can either
a) open your Access database & run your code using a function from an autoexec macro
or
b) open Access using a macro command line switch to do the same thing!

I don't use a timer event on a form as you described

As the scheduled task is on the remote workstation, remoting in should have absolutely no effect on this process ...unless of course you shut down the workstation whilst connected remotely

Website links:

Old 09-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #13
rede96
Newly Registered User

Quote:
The approach has been working for me for over 10 years running different version of Access (2003/2010/2016/365) during that time

The scheduled task can either
a) open your Access database & run your code using a function from an autoexec macro
or
b) open Access using a macro command line switch to do the same thing!

I don't use a timer event on a form as you described

As the scheduled task is on the remote workstation, remoting in should have absolutely no effect on this process ...unless of course you shut down the workstation whilst connected remotely
Itís been working for me for years too. Just suddenly stopped.

It doesnít matter which method I use as Iíve tried the methods you describe. The problem is, as it appears, no vba code will run for an open database when the remote connection is closed. As soon as I reconnect, the code starts without me having to do anything. Very odd???
Old 09-24-2019, 05:06 AM   #14
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Sorry. I'm out of ideas unless its a Windows update issue as previously described.

Website links:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: