Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
ontopofmalvern
Newly Registered User

ontopofmalvern is on a distinguished road
Random problem

Hi
I have a fairly complicated database, I have about 12 different users using the same clone of the front end accessing the same back end on a server. One user (and only one user) is experiencing several unique problems. At least half my others user are using the same model Laptop with the same version of windows and Access but only this one user is experiencing these problems.

In one case (the one I can get to the bottom off) her version simply doesn't carry out a very simple SQL update instruction run from VBA. There are no SQL errors generated it just doesn't carry out the update.

As said I have a dozen other users running an exact clone of the same Front End without problem. There is another form that causes her Access to crash (haven't quite got to exactly what provokes it but it is while appending a new record). Both these problems are persistent on her machine but do not ever occur on any others.

Any ideas of where to go with this would be great.

ontopofmalvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,440 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Random problem

Hi. One thing I would try is isolate the machine from the user. For example, would she still have the same problems if you were able to swap out the machine with another user not having any issues? If the problem switches to the other user, then the issue is with the machine. If the problem follows the original user, then I would check her permissions and anything else "user" related.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
ontopofmalvern (11-11-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
ontopofmalvern
Newly Registered User

Many thanks for quick input. Defiantly not the user, definately something on her laptop. She is pretty limited what she can change as she doesn't have admin rights. What is so odd is that it is 2 very specific actions that are problematic (there maybe more unknown), as far as I can tell everything else works fine there are plenty of other update and append operations that work fine it's just these two. One crashes Access the other just doesn't happen.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofmalvern View Post
Many thanks for quick input. Defiantly not the user, definately something on her laptop. She is pretty limited what she can change as she doesn't have admin rights. What is so odd is that it is 2 very specific actions that are problematic (there maybe more unknown), as far as I can tell everything else works fine there are plenty of other update and append operations that work fine it's just these two. One crashes Access the other just doesn't happen.
What are the chances to ask IT to refresh her machine?

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,032 Times in 998 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

it might be worth checking the lap top processor.
There can be issues with multi-core processors - try researching processor affinity

https://www.techjunkie.com/restrict-...essor-affinity

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,596 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Whenever this happens, you have to become a surgeon and do some exploratory work.

1. Compare the library references list between any correctly working machine and the problem machine. (Code window >> Tools >> References)

2. Verify proper security permissions for the unlucky user. (From the given machine, browse to the back-end file, right-click >> Properties >> Security >> Effective Permissions and then compare to a working machine.)

3. What is different about the actions regarding other things that work from that machine? What do these actions touch that some other actions don't touch?

4. Compact & Repair the miscreant front-end file.

5. If that C&R doesn't fix it, you said this was a clone of a front-end. So give the person a new clone.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
ontopofmalvern
Newly Registered User

Many thanks for everyone's help and apologies for my tardy thanks. I did eventually solve the problems Doc_Man's surgeon analogy was spot on. The main problem came down to one of users being a more efficient and triggering an event before she'd finished selecting her choice from a combo-box so changing event from 'onchange' to 'afterupdate' cured it. Looking back at tDBguy initial response I should have picked it up there. It's all a learning curve.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofmalvern View Post
Many thanks for everyone's help and apologies for my tardy thanks. I did eventually solve the problems Doc_Man's surgeon analogy was spot on. The main problem came down to one of users being a more efficient and triggering an event before she'd finished selecting her choice from a combo-box so changing event from 'onchange' to 'afterupdate' cured it. Looking back at tDBguy initial response I should have picked it up there. It's all a learning curve.
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

|
|
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,596 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Ah, yes... Access gives you the ability to use so many different events that it is MARVELOUS - except that sometimes it can be as confusing as an art nouveau movie. Picking the right event can be difficult sometimes. We've all been there and can easily sympathize. Glad you figured it out. Glad my suggestion of an orderly exploration helped you to focus on the clues.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: