Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 11-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

HillTJ is on a distinguished road
"Calibration" Database

Hi,

I have finally completed (if it's ever complete) my "Calibration" database. It was intended to capture measuring equipment calibration records & nominate a future re-inspection. I guess it would work for any logging of any periodic maintenance task (forklift maintenance etc). I make no claims about the (laughable) quality of the software, but it utilises a number of well recognised published routines. It is the most "complete" database I've written & it can optionally save a future task to outlook as well as saving attachments to a separate file. I provide no documentation, but would be happy to assist with any potential issues. I feel that the database is a "collaboration" between forum members whom have assisted immeasurably & I'm happy to share. Constructive criticism is welcome. (I know of a few things I'd like to change). If my projects of interest, I'd be happy to post a copy.

HillTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,426 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Calibration" Database

Hi. Congratulations!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #3
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

That's what the subforum you posted in is for. Go ahead and attach to your original post.

June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
Sticky99
Newly Registered User

Sticky99 is on a distinguished road

Hi HillTJ,

I am just about to do the same for our calibrated tooling, could I have a look at your DB structure, could save me a lot of time.

Cheers.
Sticky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:05 AM   #5
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,103 Times in 2,821 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

NOTE to HillTJ
I moved this thread from Sample Databases to the General forum a few days ago to allow you to upload your file more easily & so that others can reply without needing moderator approval. If appropriate we can copy the application to sample databases later

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

Sticky99, happy to assist. Please have a go with my application. I have plans for a few tweaks, but not important for the concept. Logon with "Password" and "Password". I deleted the logo from the front tab, you could simply add your own or delete the control. Cheers & thanks to all who were involved at various stages & supported me when I got stuck. Upon load press 'shift' key to open edit mode.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibration V11.zip (290.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

None of the combos work for me.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

Micron, Really odd. They all work for me & I gave it a test prior to uploading! I'm running 32bit access 365 latest version! See whether anyone else has the problem.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
Micron
AWF VIP

I just altered my level in the table. You have it as 1, which locks everything. If you are looking for feedback here's what I see so far (have spent most of my time with it getting around the obstacles):
- you can't click login button unless you leave the password field (e.g. you must tab out or click the combo again)
- many developers don't design with Track Name Changes turned on
- 7 form modules don't have Option Explicit set, although the code does compile. When I look at the vb editor option, Require Variable Declaration is on, but I suspect that's my setting and not yours, but I don't know.

If you don't want constructive criticism or such observations, please let us know.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

Micron, Cool I'm here to learn. Problem I have is that I've grown with the app. I welcome other users feedback
Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #11
Micron
AWF VIP

The only other things I have to offer at this time is
- I clicked on Browse, thinking that's how I see calibration records for a site and location. Got the file dialog, which I closed. You should trap the error message for when nothing is selected.
- you might consider UNC paths rather than S:\, unless no user will ever have a different drive label

I assume that your application will not be used to calibrate tools or equipment where the use of said tool/equipment falls under the auspices of a quality management system, so it will probably suit your purpose quite fine and is a good start. Lack of data in the tables means there's not much to play with, but I suspect you weren't expecting anyone to do that. I haven't read through a lot of the code; figuring I'll give others a chance to chime in.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

Micron, excellent, yes I should have thought of supplying some demo data.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:32 AM   #13
Sticky99
Newly Registered User

Much appreciated HillJT, I'll have a play.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

Sticky99, Upon using the database, I added another table & another field to capture "Category" so that I can filter by "Electrical Test & Tag", "Fire Equipment","Inspection Instruments", "Forklift Inspection" & so on. If the database shows promise for you, then I'd be happy to upload this version.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #15
Sticky99
Newly Registered User

Hi HillTJ, that would be great, thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: