Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #31
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,425 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is OOP actually useful?

AI needs to develop metacognition. It probably would eventually because it is an effective technique to improve thinking skills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacognition

Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:01 AM   #32
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
In the discussion, A.T. suggests that we have an arrogant viewpoint of thought. Just because something else reaches conclusions in a different way, is that a reason to not call it thought?
I guess it's not. that's a good point. but is this stance of yours spose to be a retraction of my claim that AI will never take over? I still think my stance is very good common sense, in terms of the human desire to survive and be needed.
vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #33
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP has a spectacular aura about MajP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
and yet another Access/vba/inheritance reference for consideration
From Jdraw

Am I the only one who was blown away by this? I been doing vba for 20 years and have read everything I could. I had no idea that you could define an interface. Never seen an example anywhere. Interfaces are not really inheritance, but kind of acts like it. It is a little clumsy with the name changes, but pretty cool.

MajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #34
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

I never took the AI course in college (many years ago and it was a Masters level course, I just have my BS). But the required reading was 'When Harlie Was One' by David Gerrold. But I did read the book (I graduated about the time the IBM PC came out). It is a interesting concept of a computer being very aware of it's existence.
kevlray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #35
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,978 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Another link re Implements -this from M$oft

It mentions VB in the sample code, but it is from
Docs /Office VBA Reference /Language reference /Reference/ Statements/ Implements /

MajP, I know Steve Bishop was excited and you also recognize this "mostly hidden" feature. Can you overview in simple terms for the rest of us-the significance -what it means/where it applies/why it's a 'discovery'? A sample scenario my help put it all in context.

Also here is a link to Rubberduck info that discusses status and future (sort of). Since several comments on the recent "Access the database that won't die" mention the fact that the VBE hasn't really changed in years and Access is quite antiquated- even though it is used in lots of orgs, is this a candidate for such a change, or is it a side issue that really won't get any real focus. I'm trying to assess your "enthusiasm" with what it might mean generally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jdraw; 11-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #36
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

There are other VB features that are supported but are obscurities in VBA.

A For Each enumeration can be added and property of a custom class can be specified as the default. However this cannot be done within the VBA editor but by adding attributes to an exported class then importing it back in.

Here is an extensive thread covering the topic.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #37
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
I'm no expert dude, but just the term, artificial says it all doesn't it? I mean, seriously, in terms of AI taking more of the daily duties than human beings?
Here is an example of what AI comes up with. The doctors have no idea how the AI developed algorithm achieved results that are so superior to human readings of the data.

They don't know how it works because it was developed by the random combination and selection by fitness process I described earlier in this thread.

AI will take over many human jobs because it gets better results.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #38
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiom View Post
AI will take over many human jobs because it gets better results.
that's a very interesting read, but I sure as hell don't want any info on when i'm going to pass on. It'll come soon enuf. As far as AI taking over, I stand by my insistence that humans won't let it happen simply because of their desire to work in life and earn what they get (at the very least, respect). What the hell r we to do if AI starts handling all the daily tasks that are meant for humans!? sit at home all day and watch tv? But then again, those damn corporations always get their way, so if this whole thing does come to pass, I'm guessing it will result in what i've already pointed out:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...5&postcount=29
Old 11-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #39
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,595 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
is this stance of yours spose to be a retraction of my claim that AI will never take over?
Not at all, but I have two thoughts to offer.

First: How do we know it hasn't started already? Consider the current furor over the the fact that folks who say something around their phone start getting targeted ads within minutes. Who needs salesmen any more? AI has taken over that position.

Second: One must always remember that a computer's attention span is no longer than its electrical cord.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #40
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Who needs salesmen any more? AI has taken over that position.
this is not true for recruiters and headhunters. they are still going strong, not to mention going through candidates like freakin water!

Last edited by vba_php; 11-17-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #41
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajP View Post
Am I the only one who was blown away by this?
Apparently not. I remember watching Steve Bishop’s video years ago and not understanding WHY he was so blown away. He kept insisting that this was “huge” and a “game changer” but to this day, I still have no clue.
“It follows then as certain that night succeeds the day, that without normalization, we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” - with apologies to George Washington
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #42
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,595 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

One of many milestones in my career was the absolute realization that people will do the damnedest, dumbest things - without hesitation. We have had programs that crashed because some minimum-wage operator sat on a keyboard and flooded the input buffer of our control system - the beginning of "butt-dialing" perhaps?.

We have had people who repeated pounded on the enter key and as a result sent a request five or six times because they didn't get an answer fast enough. THEN, when we sped up the process enough that they got answers ALMOST instantly, they called in because when they checked, the query they submitted seconds ago wasn't running and wasn't in the queue. So they felt that it must have crashed. We told them "look in your home folder for the report." Which usually led to stunned silence that we had been able to accelerate their responses by 30-fold. Not 30%... 30 times faster. 3000%.

Here is the turning point for whether AI will take over. When the following statement is no longer true, we are all in trouble:

Artificial intelligence cannot cope with natural stupidity.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #43
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP has a spectacular aura about MajP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Apparently not. I remember watching Steve Bishop’s video years ago and not understanding WHY he was so blown away. He kept insisting that this was “huge” and a “game changer” but to this day, I still have no clue
So I played with this and It is not a game changer, and not huge. I think for those of us who understand the limitations of VBA it was a potential hopeful extension to those limitations. My exuberance is gone. The problem is that the implementation is so limited that the utility is not much. In a real code like .net, java, C Something, ... interfaces are a pretty big deal, but that is because other things like real inheritence and polymorphism work together. There are some kind of cool things you can do, but it is kind of painful to implement. In my improvements to vba this would be down the list. The tops would be
Real inheritance
Ability to overload procedures
Parameterized constructors
Delegates

I will start a thread on interfaces in vba and try to explain the so what. There is some so what, but requires some explaining.
MajP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MajP For This Useful Post:
jdraw (11-18-2019), NauticalGent (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #44
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Who needs salesmen any more? AI has taken over that position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
this is not true for recruiters and headhunters. they are still going strong, not to mention going through candidates like freakin water!
I digress. Today I got my first text message from a bot that has taken over the initial candidate search process for the recruiter. see image.
Attached Images
File Type: png bot message.png (99.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #45
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajP View Post
I will start a thread on interfaces in vba and try to explain the so what. There is some so what, but requires some explaining.
Yes, please do! A request if I may: when making this thread, please keep in mind that some of us are not true programmers and are just one step above hacker. Screw it, some of us ARE hackers! To quote a line from one of my favorite movies “Please explain it as if you were talking to a small child...or a Golden Retriever...”

“It follows then as certain that night succeeds the day, that without normalization, we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” - with apologies to George Washington
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: