Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 11-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
DatabaseTash
Newly Registered User

DatabaseTash is on a distinguished road
Moving Access Database to OneDrive

I have an access database which is currently on our server and is used by about 18 people. The database is set with permissions and a auto-updating utility. Everyone except me uses a read only permission. The Database is a reference for plans and provides a link to the digital copy of each plan.

Management would like to move it to OneDrive. I have concerns with this though. Is it possible? Will it sync properly? Would I move the front and back end to OneDrive?

I also have a PowerShell script I run to insert the hyperlinks when new batches of plans are added. I was told that to run this script everyone needs to be out of the database. Will it still appear with the lock to show if someone is in the database when it is in OneDrive?

Does anyone have any experience with this? The database works like a dream now and I don't want it to be out of action.

DatabaseTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,442 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Moving Access Database to OneDrive

Hi. I don't think One Drive is a good place for an Access database, but since you said it's read only anyway, this may be an exception. Still, I would recommend thorough testing before committing to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

I doubt onedrive or Google drive will allow the lock file to remotely open and close.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AccessBlaster For This Useful Post:
DatabaseTash (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
DatabaseTash
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Hi. I don't think One Drive is a good place for an Access database, but since you said it's read only anyway, this may be an exception. Still, I would recommend thorough testing before committing to it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I am not alone in thinking this is a bad idea. Is it mainly the data syncing side of things that concern you about it?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatabaseTash View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I am not alone in thinking this is a bad idea. Is it mainly the data syncing side of things that concern you about it?
Well, keep in mind this. As far as I know, when you put a file on One Drive, a copy is placed on your hard drive. When you open the file, you're actually opening the local copy. One Drive then syncs the whole file to update the one in the cloud. So, if you were to share a multi-user db using One Drive, each user will actually update their own local copy of the BE, instead of the one in One Drive. During the synching process, you will likely get a lot of edit conflicts.

So, I was saying if your users won't be updating their local copy of the data because it's read only, then there probably won't be any data conflicts.

|
|
Old 11-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
DatabaseTash
Newly Registered User

Thanks for your help theDBguy
Old 11-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

I did see an ODBC driver for the Google Drive, but I don't see how you would keep a persistent handshake as you would with a SQL server.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AccessBlaster For This Useful Post:
DatabaseTash (11-11-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

Didn't somebody here write a good treatise about 3 months ago on why you should NOT do this? I believe it covered WIFI as well. Plus, if we're talking about a split db and the back end is on OneDrive, I'd say that's about 10x worse than everyone sharing the same front end over a network.
Quote:
I also have a PowerShell script I run to insert the hyperlinks when new batches of plans are added.
Why is that the case? Aren't you just appending or updating records?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

First, I would be leery of this. Access normally uses SMB (Server Message Block) protocol to talk to its component files. However, OneDrive does not normally work this way. It uses HTTP or HTTPS and talks to a synchronizer app. (See 1st link.)

https://www.netfort.com/blog/monitor...drive-traffic/

I am thinking that this would lead to some serious corruption issues because of file locking conflicts. SMB lock patterns are not exactly the same as HTTP-family lock patterns because of differences in how they address the data-in-motion. However, I can only state doubts, not certainties, on the issues involved.

I know that if you are planning a true OneDrive app, you have to consider that you will have a "sync" app running in the background and you have to consider your network load is going to be very "bursty" when updates are running. (See 2nd link.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/one...ation-planning

I'm not going to say that this won't work, but if there is even a slight flaw in the way the sync app decides to re-sync, you would end up transmitting a huge file over your network almost continuously. You might see bottle-necked data flow. There are whole forums where folks have complained about slow syncing and getting "hung" while waiting for the files in question to unlock. Search a bit more in the one-drive forum and in the Microsoft support site for topic OneDrive (as one word).

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...c-2b45533edccd

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forum...parts-of-the-f
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Thanks for your help theDBguy
Hi. You're welcome. Good luck with your project.

|
|
Old 11-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #11
gstylianou
Newly Registered User

gstylianou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have an access database which is currently on our server and is used by about 18 people. The database is set with permissions and a auto-updating utility. Everyone except me uses a read only permission. The Database is a reference for plans and provides a link to the digital copy of each plan.

Management would like to move it to OneDrive. I have concerns with this though. Is it possible? Will it sync properly? Would I move the front and back end to OneDrive?

I also have a PowerShell script I run to insert the hyperlinks when new batches of plans are added. I was told that to run this script everyone needs to be out of the database. Will it still appear with the lock to show if someone is in the database when it is in OneDrive?

Does anyone have any experience with this? The database works like a dream now and I don't want it to be out of action.

HI, its is really bad idea for multi use (18 person).! Since many years i made some testing and always i have many - many problems for multi use purposes. You always have the problem "Conflicted copy" and you will loose data..
gstylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gstylianou For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:13 AM   #12
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,671 Times in 3,539 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

Curious as to why management would want to move it to onedrive. If working well now, what would be the perceived benefit?
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:29 AM   #13
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,830 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
Didn't somebody here write a good treatise about 3 months ago on why you should NOT do this? I believe it covered WIFI as well.
Yup. This comes up repeatedly and the answers are always the same - don't do it!
For example, see https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...light=OneDrive

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #14
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,032 Times in 998 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

I think management would be interested if it worked, because an off site user could then connect to the one-drive, rather than need to connect to an office based terminal server.

The point that has been made is that these cloud solutions (one-drive, dropbox etc) work by synching local files to the cloud, and because of that aren't suitable for multi users.

I believe Sage have a workround for this problem with their (non-access based) accounts systems, but I am not sure what limits are placed on their "multi-user" cloud version.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gemma-the-husky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #15
DatabaseTash
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
Curious as to why management would want to move it to onedrive. If working well now, what would be the perceived benefit?
They would like to work towards having everything cloud based and no server.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: