Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 11-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #16
Cronk
Newly Registered User

Cronk will become famous soon enough Cronk will become famous soon enough
Re: A Question of Trust

Trusted locations is a MS Office security thing, not Access per se. Same thing happens with macros in Excel files.

Any folder (and optionally sub folder) can be designated as a Trusted Location. In Access, go to File | Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Trusted Locations. A user could set any folder on C drive as Trusted.

However, I don't know whether this option is available in Runtime Access.

I do work at a number sites where the network admins have locked down the network to the extent where the C drive (and any other local drive) is not visible and the user cannot open any Access file on the network, except for folders administators allow. The jargon used is everything is black listed except for designated white listed areas. The MyDocuments folder on users' personal H(ome) network folder is white listed and is used for the FE with shared data in a white listed folder.

For me, it's a pain in the proverbial but it's an enterprise network security policy endorsed by the CIO in these organizations.

Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cronk For This Useful Post:
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #17
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,125 Times in 4,057 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

I still don't understand the app just quitting. My users get a warning with the option to run the app if it isn't trusted. I suppose if the user clicked on Cancel there the app would quit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbaldy For This Useful Post:
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,441 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronk View Post
However, I don't know whether this option is available in Runtime Access.
Hi Cronk. Unfortunately, there is no user interface available with Runtime other than what you provide through your front end application. So...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
I still don't understand the app just quitting. My users get a warning with the option to run the app if it isn't trusted. I suppose if the user clicked on Cancel there the app would quit.
Hi Paul. I'm with you. In fact, I think the macro to test if the app is Trusted doesn't even run until after the warning is displayed and acknowledged.

|
|
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,829 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
I agree but in my experience, certain users will just ignore the security bar message and complain the app doesn't work. That's why I use the approach I mentioned in post #14

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #21
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
I agree but in my experience, certain users will just ignore the security bar message and complain the app doesn't work. That's why I use the approach I mentioned in post #14
Hi Colin. Unfortunately, that only works with non-corporate clients. Where I work, all VBA are disabled by IT and must be acknowledged by the user before it can run. Users are not able to adjust the Trust Settings on their machines.

|
|
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #22
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

End users don't adjust any settings in my client organisations either.
In fact because the apps are locked down they have no access to Access options / nav pane etc

My commercial apps are always installed to a fixed location e.g. C:\Programs\MendipDataSystems\SchoolDataAnalyser

The program admin organises the distribution of the app to a set location as specified in the installation script.
The script is run. The entire folder structure including subfolders is then made trusted on each user's workstation.
As far as the end user is concerned, they don't need to do a thing (in fact they can't!).
When they first run the app its already trusted

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #23
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
End users don't adjust any settings in my client organisations either.
In fact because the apps are locked down they have no access to Access options / nav pane etc

My commercial apps are always installed to a fixed location e.g. C:\Programs\MendipDataSystems\SchoolDataAnalyser

The program admin organises the distribution of the app to a set location as specified in the installation script.
The script is run. The entire folder structure including subfolders is then made trusted on each user's workstation.
As far as the end user is concerned, they don't need to do a thing (in fact they can't!).
When they first run the app its already trusted
See? There's the difference. In our environment, the app is "always" untrusted.

|
|
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #24
KACJR
Newly Registered User

KACJR is on a distinguished road

We are just starting our Windows 10 rollout. What I'm going to try is modifying the trust settings on my Win10 "gold" image so that everything is set when I image a PC.
KACJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #25
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KACJR View Post
We are just starting our Windows 10 rollout. What I'm going to try is modifying the trust settings on my Win10 "gold" image so that everything is set when I image a PC.
That might be one way to tackle it. Good luck!

|
|
KACJR (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #26
KACJR
Newly Registered User

KACJR is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all of your for insight and assistance. I learned an awful lot today thanks to you.
KACJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #27
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KACJR View Post
Thanks to all of your for insight and assistance. I learned an awful lot today thanks to you.
Hi. You're very welcome. We're all happy to assist. Cheers!

|
|
Old 11-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #28
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
See? There's the difference. In our environment, the app is "always" untrusted.
That's exactly the point I've been trying to make...but in reverse!
The system admin ensures my apps are saved to locations made trusted for all authorised users using the supplied script. Its a system I've used with all my clients for well over 10 years and works perfectly.

Website links:

Old 11-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #29
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
That's exactly the point I've been trying to make...but in reverse!
The system admin ensures my apps are saved to locations made trusted for all authorised users using the supplied script. Its a system I've used with all my clients for well over 10 years and works perfectly.
Hi Colin. Just to clarify, in my environment, no app gets installed unless it's an approved application. Even still, I am saying "all VBA" are disabled, no matter what. So, even approved VBA-capable apps have to be manually "enabled" by the user when they use it. This happens whether IT set up a Trusted Location or not. Because VBA is disabled "by default," the warning still comes up and the user has to click the yellow button. I think this only applies to those programs that can execute macros/VBAs. Probably, the decision was made at some point to be safer than sorry. Cheers!

PS. Another thought... Probably the other reason for using the above approach (VBA disabled by default) is it also prevents anyone with a VBA application from simply putting a copy of it in a "known" trusted location. Just thinking out loud...

|
|
Old 11-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #30
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Hi DBG
Also to clarify, in my clients' networks its also true that no app ever gets installed unless it's an application approved by the IT network staff following advice from other senior staff. That decision can typically take several months and I've often had to overcome hostility from network staff to installing any Access app across the network. If the 'powers that be' are not prepared to accept my conditions, I don't proceed with the sale.

However, once approved, the application(s) are installed by program admins/network staff to the workstations of all approved users ONLY.
This happens automatically the next time the user(s) log on. Similarly the script to trust the location is run automatically.

A typical client organisation will have anything up to 250 users but, at most, only 2 or 3 will be given elevated permissions to manage the application

End users do not have permissions to install or edit any applications anything themselves nor do they have permission to edit the registry (even if they know how). As they have no ability to reach Access options, end users cannot do any editing there either.
The reason for doing all the above is once again to be safe rather than sorry.
As I say the system has been in use for well over a decade and is absolutely foolproof.

Website links:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: