Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 11-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
whatever2
Newly Registered User

whatever2 is on a distinguished road
Could use a mentor...

Hi,
I have a lot of experience with Excel and a little experience with Power BI, but I am almost completely new to Access.
I am having a very hard time achieving simple tasks in Access.
So if anyone can help with this project, it will probably be a cake walk for you.

I am just trying to make a simple form and log for people to create a new request, others to approve/reject said request, and to update and/or close said request when completed.

Problem #1 (I have a long list of these simple problems for you):
I am replacing an existing Excel-based system, so I want the new request system to start at # 1001.
I do not want to use the primary-key auto-number field for this based on recent research that one should never use this as viable data. However, WHY IN THE HELL is it so difficult to create a simple column that can look at the last record and just ADD 1??? WTF.

I have tried several different solutions and keep getting errors I cannot explain, like syntax, type mismatch, can't use that function in a calculated field, etc, etc. How can something so simple and common be this difficult?

Please help. I've tried queries, calculated fields, VBA code, Dmax, DLast, COUNTER, all sorts of things and can't figure out how to get any of it to work.

If we can get past this, I've got a hundred more things that should be simple but I cannot figure out. Microsoft's help articles are total shit. Yeah, thanks for telling me what to do but not how to do it. o_O

Last edited by whatever2; 11-14-2019 at 12:04 PM.
whatever2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,442 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Could use a mentor...

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

If you're looking for someone to hire, please send me an email to discuss details. Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever2 View Post
However, WHY IN THE HELL is it so difficult to create a simple column that can look at the last record and just ADD 1??? WTF.
when you go to a new record in your form, try this in code:
Code:
me.yourNumberFieldControlName = DMax("yourNumberField","youTableName") + 1
you have to be careful of this though, as I believe that function is quirky, like if there are 2 digits in the number, it reads the first digit only. something like that. you'd have to test to be sure.

vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
whatever2
Newly Registered User

Nope, just looking for someone who likes to help others solve problems without the need for financial compensation. One of those Karma things, I suppose. I help others all the time just because it feels good, it's just in some of our nature.

But if you need a job, you could always try standing outside a Home Depot!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever2 View Post
But if you need a job, you could always try standing outside a Home Depot!
that's pretty insulting dude. I've been warned myself. be careful about this!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
whatever2
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
Code:
you have to be careful of this though, as I believe that function is quirky, like if there are 2 digits in the number, it reads the first digit only. something like that. you'd have to test to be sure.
I appreciate the reply, but I'm really new to Access and I have no idea what you are talking about. Why would I do anything with the form?
You say "try this in code". Can you please explain? Access is so different from Excel and Power BI that I don't know where I would even put that code. In a query? In a VBA module? In a field?
Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
whatever2
Newly Registered User

Quote:
that's pretty insulting dude. I've been warned myself. be careful about this!
If you aren't posting to help, don't post. Keep your snarky comments to yourself and I'll do the same. Cool?

Old 11-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
whatever2
Newly Registered User

I can already tell this isn't a very helpful community so I'll just take my questions elsewhere.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,830 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Code:
The code is correct but a simple test will show you that your final paragraph is untrue.

EDIT:
@whatever2
Feel free to go elsewhere. You haven't made a positive start on this forum. If you respond with another unnecessary insult, we'll help you on your way. Good luck

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
vba_php
Software Engineer

check this out...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Database1.zip (36.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
plog
Banishment Pending

Thanked 2,286 Times in 2,238 Posts
plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, read your initial post, submitted a solution, then read your other posts and removed it.

Last edited by plog; 11-14-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: removing solution because I do not want to help this individual
plog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
vba_php
Software Engineer

if this person indeed does not comeback, it would make me feel good cuz he wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as I did in my former tenure.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,830 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

The last post by the OP has been deleted following a complaint about language and attitude.

For info, the OP has been banned for a fixed term following the hostile attitude shown and for insulting other members. Following that period, any further similar behaviour will result in a permanent ban

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)

Last edited by isladogs; 11-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #14
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,520 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

Quote:
WHY IN THE HELL is it so difficult to create a simple column that can look at the last record and just ADD 1??? WTF.
It is not hard at all. You just have to take off your Excel cap and put on your RDBMS cap. Relational databases work nothing like spreadsheets. For starters, in a spreadsheet, every single column of every single row has a discrete "address". In a relational table, you address a row by its primary key value and columns by their name.
Quote:
I can already tell this isn't a very helpful community so I'll just take my questions elsewhere.
Attitude like that will get you no help at all. If you decide to come back, we can suggest some videos and books to explain the basics.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:36 AM   #15
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Waste of breath Pat,

He did come back and was paticularly rude, hence the temp ban.

FWIW I think the post could have been left in (despite the language) and then everyone would see the true character of this person.?

These people seem to be like buses. You do not get one for ages, and then three come along at the same time.

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Last edited by Gasman; 11-16-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: