Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 11-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
Hello1
Newly Registered User

Hello1 is on a distinguished road
Corrupt database

Strange things happening with one of my .mdb files.
In one table, there are records which cant contain a Null value but they do and have ### instead real value (screenshoot in attachment)
I replaced the database with a backup one but then again same happened when the same records had to be added.

Im posting in attachment the structure of the table and the other related table as some of the data in it. Also I will post what the MSysCompactError table contains.
Attached Images
File Type: png StavkaIzlazDesign.PNG (11.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png StavkaIzlaz.PNG (21.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png Relationship.PNG (8.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png MSysCompactError.PNG (22.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png IzlazDesign.PNG (19.9 KB, 8 views)

Hello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,444 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Corrupt database

Can't remember if the recent issue with the Windows Updates affect MDBs, but maybe they do. Have you looked into it yet? For example, what version of Windows are you using and what build?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Hello1
Newly Registered User

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1903
OS build: 18362.476

To be honest I have no idea, the database is not at my PC tho.
Which issue do you exactly mean? Could you provide a link about it?

Thanks

Btw office is the 2007 one

Old 11-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Again, not sure it this affects your, but you could start here to see what I meant.

|
|
Old 11-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Hello1
Newly Registered User

I read it however, Im not sure that it is the exact same problem, the symptoms seem different. I can still use and open the database.
Any way to try and recover the lost records?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello1 View Post
I read it however, Im not sure that it is the exact same problem, the symptoms seem different. I can still use and open the database.
Any way to try and recover the lost records?
That's what I was trying to say earlier. I wasn't sure if you're affected, but it couldn't hurt to check if the recommended solutions work for your situation too. As for recovering "lost" records, only if you have a backup copy (especially after a C&R has been performed already).

|
|
Old 11-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
Hello1
Newly Registered User

So I suppose not worth trying any mdb repair/recovery software?

Old 11-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello1 View Post
So I suppose not worth trying any mdb repair/recovery software?
That depends on the potential return on investment (ROI). How important are the lost data and how much are you willing to pay to "maybe" recover it? If you have a good backup plan, you should only lose a few of them, and maybe make it easier to recover the lost records by simply re-entering them again. Just my 2 cents...

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
Hello1 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
Hello1
Newly Registered User

Alright, there are some backups and yes I guess I will use it but how to prevent this from happening again?
It's strange that it happened on a backup database too.
I'm not sure if it could be an virus infection, but the windows defender didn't find anything suspicious on the PC. Maybe migrating to SQL Server but before doing so I would like to find the cause and see how else to prevent it.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #10
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,114 Times in 2,831 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Your StavÖ. Table doesn't have a primary key though you do have an autonumber field.
The fact that several of those are null does indeed indicate corruption.
As already stated you will need to delete those corrupt records then make your autunumber fields the PK.
Check whether the FK field allows fulls. It shouldn't for RI to work.

As for the cause of the corruption, are multiple users sharing the database?

Out of interest, what do you see if you widen the columns for the 2 fields showing #######?

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Hello1
Newly Registered User

Quote:
As already stated you will need to delete those corrupt records then make your autunumber fields the PK.
Check whether the FK field allows fulls. It shouldn't for RI to work.
Would it be better just to take the backup database?

Quote:
As for the cause of the corruption, are multiple users sharing the database?
As Im aware only one user is using the database, locally.

Quote:
Out of interest, what do you see if you widen the columns for the 2 fields showing #######?
Nothing it stays as it is, #####
Old 11-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,114 Times in 2,831 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Either use your backup or delete the corrupted records - whichever means fewer records are lost.
Check whether you have Automatic Compact On Close ticked in Access Options.
If so un-tick it as that can cause corruption

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access , corrupt database , mdb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: