Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #31
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all
Re: Why do you thinkd Brexit and Trump happened? Watt's Up With That?

jlavin,

I am with you on term limitations for all elected federal officials. It used to be that Sen. Robert Byrd of W. Virginia had so much power that there was no way to get a road appropriation for any other state unless your appropriation had something in it for West Virginia. That was how you bribed him to get his vote on your bill.

There are quite a few things I would rather see happen to Congress. One that will never be passed unless by Initiative and Referendum would be that all Healthcare decisions made by Congress for the USA citizens would HAVE to also apply to them. I.e. if WE have to swallow Obamacare, THEY should have had to swallow it, too. They are too insulated from their own decisions sometimes.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,726 Times in 1,677 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

Doc, I agree with your point on Healthcare. It should apply more generally ---that is, if elected officials are voting on something that applies to the public at large, the resulting decision should include them. Too often elected officials seem to be, and act, entitled with a status above the ordinary citizen. We might see more cooperative, productive bilateral analysis and design if they were affected by the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #33
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

Yes. Or even >>>gasp<<< cooperation.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 AM   #34
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Just as a quick FYI - under current law, Congress and its staff are actually REQUIRED to get their health insurance from the Marketplace (aka Obamacare).

Nearly every iteration of the current GOP tax cut for rich people (aka AHCA), on the other hand, removes that requirement.

Also, not only did the Republican party do nothing but obstruct government in every way they possibly could since Obama first won the White House (remember that tape that got leaked of them agreeing to block everything and anything the Dems tried as long as Obama was in office?), but they've made clear since Trump's election that even a semblance of bipartisanship is a complete non-starter. Just look at McConnel - his very phrasing when he talks about working with Democrats shows that he considers bipartisanship a desperation move, not something to be done as a matter of course.

Hell, the entire reason the Democrats changed the rules to disallow filibusters on cabinet officials was because the GOP abused it to the point of Obama not being able to get ANY nominations approved, no matter how centrist.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #35
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

Don't disagree as to who started it, Frothy. I just wish there was a way to end it, and I think term limits (as suggested by jlavin) would be a step in the right direction. I just doubt the ability of Congress to limit itself in this way.

For one thing, the big-ticket vote buyers would HATE it because it would mean that every so often they would have to buy someone else. With the status quo they only have to "really" buy someone once and then just pay maintenance.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #36
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough

The Republicans could have had a massive win. Had they just waited until the higher premiums from Obama care kicked in. People would have demanded relief, but the dumbasses will probably get blamed for that too.

I say leave it alone.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #37
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

There is an overlooked aspect in the ACA debacle. Yes, the Republicans are involved in a civil-war and are apparently paralyzed. That is actually "good" in terms of how a democratic society is supposed to operate.

Contrast this with the Democrats who march in lock-step blindly implementing Party talking points. The Democratic party is acting as a monolith, no dissension allowed. From the perspective of how a democracy is supposed to operate that is "bad".

Furthermore, note that the Democrats are essentially standing in the background and not offering any proposed solutions for fixing the ACA. There is nothing preventing them from either introducing legislation and/or having a very public news conference where they lay out a draft for fixing the ACA. In fact they could probably make some good political points with such a strategy. The fact that the Democrats are locking themselves out of any proposed solution, implies that they are purposely sabotaging the legislative process for their own self-serving benefit. Seems that the Democrats would rather let their "baby" drown instead of jumping in the water to save it.

PS: Schumer, on TV just claimed, that the bi-partisan door is open. But Schumer, if one reads between the lines, implies that the door is open only if the Republicans acquiesce to work with the Democrats as opposed to the Democrats mutually working with Republicans. Furthermore, Schumer did not disclosing what (if any) the Democrats would be willing to put on the negotiating table. Based on verbal gymnastics, Schumer is only suggesting faux negotiations, nothing substantive.

Last edited by Steve R.; 07-18-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #38
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Don't disagree as to who started it, Frothy. I just wish there was a way to end it, and I think term limits (as suggested by jlavin) would be a step in the right direction. I just doubt the ability of Congress to limit itself in this way.

For one thing, the big-ticket vote buyers would HATE it because it would mean that every so often they would have to buy someone else. With the status quo they only have to "really" buy someone once and then just pay maintenance.
For once, you and I agree on something!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #39
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...And I think we're probably in that position where we'll just let Obamacare fail. We're not going to own it.
Smart move. Take the hit on the failed promise, and move on.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: