Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Reference > Code Repository

Old 11-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,367 Times in 3,262 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice
Re: Mythbusters - Speed Comparison Tests - Having vs Where

Hi Colin,

Sorry, wasn't very clear - what I meant was

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT Postcodes.PostcodeArea, Postcodes.PostcodeDistrict, Postcodes.PostcodeSector
FROM Postcodes

versus

Code:
SELECT Postcodes.PostcodeArea, Postcodes.PostcodeDistrict, Postcodes.PostcodeSector
FROM Postcodes
GROUP BY Postcodes.PostcodeArea, Postcodes.PostcodeDistrict, Postcodes.PostcodeSector
Quote:
What I need to study is why both versions repeatedly scan a table (tblKickout) that is nothing to do with the query
But that's a job for another day .. unless either of you can enlighten me!
just a guess but is there a relationship between tblKickout and postcodes?

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #17
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,567 Posts
isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice
Re: Mythbusters - Speed Comparison Tests - Having vs Where

Hi CJ

There is no relationship between Postcodes & tblKickout
The Postcodes tables was a linked table from my UK Postal Addresses app which includes a forced closedown procedure. Every 30s, that app checks the status of a boolean field in tblKickout and shuts down if its true.
I just didn't expect that to be included in the ShowPlan as I didn't link that table
I assume its included as its being checked in the background all the time

To avoid complications, I'll use a local table this time (tblPatients from the Having vs Where test)

Query1
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT tblPatients.Surname, tblPatients.Forename, tblPatients.Gender, tblPatients.DOB
FROM tblPatients;
ShowPlan1
Quote:
--- Query1 ---

- Inputs to Query -
Table 'tblPatients'
- End inputs to Query -

store result in temporary table
Query2
Code:
SELECT tblPatients.Surname, tblPatients.Forename, tblPatients.Gender, tblPatients.DOB
FROM tblPatients
GROUP BY tblPatients.Surname, tblPatients.Forename, tblPatients.Gender, tblPatients.DOB;
ShowPlan2
Quote:
--- Query2 ---

- Inputs to Query -
Table 'tblPatients'
- End inputs to Query -

01) Group table 'tblPatients'
Not sure that tells you anything unexpected...
As you would expect, both give the same output of 3338 records

Web links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 11-04-2018 at 07:46 AM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
having/where , speed tests

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: