Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > SQL Server

Old 07-11-2019, 01:01 AM   #1
nonlinearly
Newly Registered User

nonlinearly is on a distinguished road
Upsizing to Sql Server performance

Hi, I have migrated an Access 2010 database to Sql Server 2008.
When I open a continues form bounded to a table with 31.000 the form crawls until all records loaded. I did not have this problem before when the data was in Access backend. I realize that when I set the Recordset type property of the form to Snapshot (instead of Dynaset) the performance is much much better!!!
I migrated because I thought that it would be better but what a hellllll
Thanks

Last edited by nonlinearly; 07-11-2019 at 02:24 AM.
nonlinearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
nonlinearly
Newly Registered User

Re: Usizing to Sql Server performance

I removed all fields from form and I added them again. The problem disappears!!!
I don't know what happens and why...
Old 07-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #3
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,670 Times in 3,538 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

see this link about moving to database considerations before upsizing

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=291269

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJ_London For This Useful Post:
nonlinearly (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:31 AM   #4
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

To be honest it's not considered good design to open a form and load all the underlying records.

The normal route would be to load the form "empty" and to give the user some search features and then only retrieve those records that meet their needs.

As you get into bigger datasets this will become essential to stop things bogging down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #5
nonlinearly
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
To be honest it's not considered good design to open a form and load all the underlying records.

The normal route would be to load the form "empty" and to give the user some search features and then only retrieve those records that meet their needs.

As you get into bigger datasets this will become essential to stop things bogging down.
You are right.. this is the technique I use when I develop web applications due to browser considerations. But a desktop application is more flexible on this issue.
In this case, records are few to worry about, and the growth rate is only about 2500 new records per year!
Also the concurrent users are about 10... Not so many to create a problem with sql server!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:00 AM   #6
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,670 Times in 3,538 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
But a desktop application is more flexible on this issue.
only if you have a very good LAN - and sql server will be on a different server - perhaps via a WAN.

When loading a table, Access will display the first few records whilst continuing to complete loading the recordset which gives the impression of a fast load. But with a large recordset, try taking an action once these first few records have loaded - such as a find or sort or go to last record. It won't complete until the recordset has been fully loaded.
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
nonlinearly
Newly Registered User

On the occasion of this debate just a thought that came to me ...
I think that adp is a more truly client-server option but unfortunately Microsoft stopped supporting it. So even if I had the option to migrate to .adp (because I use Aceess 2010) I didn't want to for the sake of maintainability in the future.

Pity...

Tags
sql server 2008 , upsizing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: