Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 07-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #1
Cark
Newly Registered User

Cark is on a distinguished road
Removing Row Blocks

NOTE: I am struggling to find exactly what they are called, so I am happy to rename the title of the thread once identified.

I currently have a Table being used as a Subform on a Form so that I can enter a load of Child Field data and am in the process of neatening the Table Subform up to look nice.

How do I go about removing the small little grey blocks/buttons that correspond to selecting an entire row? I know how to remove record selectors and scrollbars etc, but this is the one proving troublesome. I would like it to look as close as possible to Capture2.png. I know how to hide TblOverlappingTasksID and PartID columns should I want to in the future.

The attached image highlights the blocks I am referring to (let me know if you know what they are called).

All help much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (9.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png Capture2.PNG (91.2 KB, 20 views)

Cark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,721 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Removing Row Blocks

The grey blocks are called record selectors.
In form design view go to the property sheet and set Record Selectors =No

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,629 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

isladogs, it always shows.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #4
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

True in datasheet view. However not for continuous forms if the OP is able to use them in his/her setup

Website links:

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 07-11-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #5
Cark
Newly Registered User

I had already tried Record Selectors set to No and they were still showing.

If I understand it correctly a Continuous Form would require the user to use navigation buttons to switch between the different Descriptions for the same PartID right?

I am hoping to have it so that all the descriptions display all at once for the same PartID, just without the grey blocks/record selectors.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #6
isladogs
Part time moderator

In many ways, continuous forms are like datasheets but with additional flexibility over the layout. You will see all the records on one screen.
You can change records using navigation buttons at the bottom of the form or using a mouse /keyboard shortcut.
If it helps you can make the Description control as combo box filtered to the values for that PartID

Hope that helps

Website links:

Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 AM   #7
Cark
Newly Registered User

I'm not sure I am understanding this correctly...

I am wanting to see all the Descriptions for that Part Number simultaneously. Can this be done? I don't want to make the user click through the individual descriptions. I just want them to be able to quickly see all of them listed and then scroll through as it is just quick reference information.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 AM   #8
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,669 Times in 3,537 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

@Cark - suggest you use the wizard to create a continuous form (called Multiple Items is later versions of Access (in the create ribbon select the more forms option). It will take you about 2 seconds.

then in the form properties you can do things like hide the record selectors, stop the form being editable, hide the navigation bar at the bottom, etc.

You can also modify the form design - make the controls wider/shorter, apply colour if relevant etc
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:04 AM   #9
Cark
Newly Registered User

I have just tried using a Multiple Items continuous form, but have been unable to make it so that I can add entries to it when it is used as a subform in FrmSubGeneralInformation. It says You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'TblPartID' this is because it doesn't seem to want to take the value of PartID from the overall call called FrmOverview, how do I get this aspect to work?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 AM   #10
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,669 Times in 3,537 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

without having a clear understanding of what you actually have, difficult to say.

whether a form is continuous or datasheet, you would get the same problem because the message is about your relationships - you have set it so that you cannot have orphan records (i.e. no parent which is your partID) which from your description, is what you would want.

If you need further help, please provide the following screenshots
  • your relationships
  • your form in design view (main and subform) and showing the properties on the data tab of your subform
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,512 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

When you have used the relationships window to properly define the relationships between tables and hopefully to enforce Referential Integrity, Access will "know" how the main form and sub form should be related and will automatically create the Master/Child links. If you have not yet defined your relationships, now would be a good time to start. But, in any event, once a subform is added to a form, adding relationships to the BE's relationship window will not alter any existing forms so you would need to open the main form in design view, click on the subform object and manually enter the Master/Child links.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

wrt to original problem and continuous view recommendation, I thought it might be worthwhile mentioning that a continuous form can be made to look like a datasheet (just playing around here). Note, no record selectors:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ContFrmDSview.jpg (7.7 KB, 22 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: