Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 09-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
A17BPG
Newly Registered User

A17BPG is on a distinguished road
Position Msgbox

Hi

Does anyone know if you can place a msgbox anywhere on a Form other than in the centre. ie placing say on the right or in a top corner.

Thanks in anticipation Brian.

A17BPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
MickJav
Newly Registered User

MickJav will become famous soon enough
Re: Position Msgbox

Dont think so but you could use a form made to look like a message box then move it where you wanted I know isladog posted code for moving a form.

Hope it helps mick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MickJav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickJav For This Useful Post:
A17BPG (09-17-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,526 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

The only way to do that is if the message box is NOT modal (which means that other code can run behind it) but it also requires you to find ALL windows (including child windows) to find which one is the message box. If you could run code AND if you could find the child box, you would be able to manipulate is positional properties.

However, that is not something that is easy to do. The whole point of a message box is that it is up front and dead center in order to get your attention and MAKE you do something, choose something. To do otherwise is to defeat its purpose.

I think MickJay's suggestion is better... if the purpose isn't to force someone to decide something, then maybe it shouldn't be a message box.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
A17BPG (09-17-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

I can envision a situation where the message box might cover some vital information that pertains to the message, and if you can't see that information, it may be problematic in dealing with the message. Don't forget that the message box may not be one that results in a simple OK response - it could contain 3 options and the info may need to be seen in order to facilitate a choice.

If that is the case, I'd go with a form as suggested, but make it modal. Seems obvious to me that if a decision needs to be made, there ought not to be any further code execution until the choice is made, so modal ought to function well in a case like this.
EDIT - forgot to say that the MoveSize method used in form opening may be simple enough for positioning such a form.
The Following User Says Thank You to Micron For This Useful Post:
A17BPG (09-17-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,597 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

As previously mentioned, you can make your own message form and place it where you like. See the customised message box in my example Attention Seeking app.
I would also make it popup and modal so the user has to respond in order to proceed.
The code to place it where you want has the syntax
Code:
DoCmd.MoveSize Left, top, width, height
with all arguments optional. Values are in twips with 1440 twips = 1 inch (567 tips = 1 cm)

If you want to place the form precisely in relation to another object, see this article on my website Accurately Move Forms and Controls

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 09-15-2019 at 09:49 PM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
A17BPG (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #6
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,526 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Let's not forget that you CAN manually drag a modal message box to the side to see things if it is covering up something. You just can't do anything underneath it.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
A17BPG (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,594 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

I submitted the same (code repository) for the mods approval.
Attached Files
File Type: zip messageBox.zip (134.6 KB, 11 views)

A17BPG (09-17-2019)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: