Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 10-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
kitty77
Newly Registered User

kitty77 is on a distinguished road
strDocName Error

I'm using the following code in a command button.

Dim strDocName As String
Dim strWhere As String
If ([Mid] = "111") Then strDocName = "Report1"
If ([Mid] = "222") Then strDocName = "Report2"
If ([Mid] = "222") Then strDocName = "Report1"
strWhere = "[Mrecordid]=" & Me!Mrecordid
DoCmd.OpenReport strDocName, acViewReport, , strWhere

I'm getting the following error: The action or method requires a report name argument.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...

kitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,047 Times in 1,028 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: strDocName Error

Hi. Perhaps none of the checks ([Mid]="111" or "222") was valid. For example, what if [Mid] was "333?"

Maybe you should assign a default report name or check first if there's a report name assigned before trying to open it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,591 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

This may be a typo but both lines can't be correct:
Code:
If ([Mid] = "222") Then strDocName = "Report2"
If ([Mid] = "222") Then strDocName = "Report1"
Try adding the line Debug.Print strWhere before DoCmd.OpenReport ...
Does the output seem correct?

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
kitty77
Newly Registered User

Sorry, yes was a typo...

It looks like it does not like or can't handle multiple questions. When I break it done, it works. Here is what I really want.

If ([Mid] <> "aaa") And ([Mst] = "bbb") And ([M1] <> [M2]) Then strDocName = "Report"

Hope this makes sense...
Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,591 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Try
If...ElseIf...ElseIf...Else...End If
OR use Select Case notation

Debug.print strDocName as well as strWhere as a check

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty77 View Post
Sorry, yes was a typo...

It looks like it does not like or can't handle multiple questions. When I break it done, it works. Here is what I really want.

If ([Mid] <> "aaa") And ([Mst] = "bbb") And ([M1] <> [M2]) Then strDocName = "Report"

Hope this makes sense...
Hi. How about telling us what you want to check for using plain words, and we'll try to convert it into code for you?

|
|
Old 10-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
kitty77
Newly Registered User

I think basically, how do put several arguments together?
If something = something, If something <> something, etc...

Say four or five arguments. All these arguments helps me select the proper report to print.

Maybe an example of several arguments together would be helpful.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:

Say four or five arguments. All these arguments helps me select the proper report to print.

Hi. If I try to explain to you how to combine multiple conditions together, you will still be left interpreting it to apply to your particular situation. Sometimes, it might be easier to actually give an example that applies to your situation because it would make it easier for you to understand it and then apply what you learned to your other scenarios. We just need an English translation of what you want the code to do. We'll convert it to code speak for you.

|
|
Old 10-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:

Okay, see if this helps any. There are several ways to check for multiple conditions. For example.

Code:
If condition1 Then
  'do stuff
ElseIf condition2 Then
  'do stuff
End If
Or, if you need multiple conditions met at the same time, it might look like.

Code:
If condition1 AND conditions2 AND condition2 Then
End If

|
|
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It looks like it does not like or can't handle multiple questions
"It" certainly can. In my experience the issue is almost always not constructing an expression in a manner that is conducive to how the logic is processed by computer. Not so much when dealing with multiple AND operators as much as when the OR operator comes in to play.

Guaranteed that this will evaluate to True
6<>5 and 3=3 and 7<>8

EDIT - I let the posts about expressions divert me from the message you got. I interpret it that your value for the report name is invalid. It doesn't exist as named. Check spelling. Colin alluded to that in his post.

Last edited by Micron; 10-10-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,583 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

on the expression:

if any variables are empty, it would result to Null.
and you can't compare a Null to any value, hence resulting to False.
better add a null string, then compare:

If ([Mid] & "" <> "aaa") And ([Mst] & "" = "bbb") And ([M1] & "" <> [M2] & "") Then strDocName = "Report"
Old 10-10-2019, 04:07 AM   #12
Micron
AWF VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
if any variables are empty, it would result to Null.
and you can't compare a Null to any value, hence resulting to False.
better add a null string, then compare:
Only half true. Since you can't compare anything to Null, the result of the expression can only be Null, not false. Your empty string can work for <> comparisons, but never for = and be true, thus that expression will always evaluate to false anyway because "" will never equal bbb. Besides, the error message suggests that in all (or at least some) cases, the report variable is an empty string and that is what is being passed to the open report command. That means that none of the expressions are true, but they may all be Null too.

Last edited by Micron; 10-10-2019 at 04:10 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,492 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

@Micron,
If a <> b will result in FALSE if either a or b is null. No test of a null value will ever return true except IsNull()

@Kitty,
Do not use parentheses unless they are needed. Having them in an expression just causes confusion when they are serving no purpose.

should be

If [Mid] <> "aaa" And [Mst] = "bbb" And [M1] <> [M2] Then strDocName = "Report"

Also, don't use square brackets for the same reason. They are simply eye clutter and distracting.

Now we get to the rules of precedence which is what you need to understand to create compound conditions. In logical operations the order is NOT, AND, OR

If all the conditions use the same relational operator
either:
a and b and c and d
OR:
a or b or c or d

Then the order is irrelevant. The result will be the same regardless of the order in which the conditions are evaluated. a and b is exactly the same result as b and a.

The tricky part is when you need to mix operators.
a or b and c or d
Now we have to perform the conditions based on the order of precedence so AND happens first. To explain this, I will add parentheses to show how the statement is evaluated
a or (b and c) or d
Once the AND is handled, we now have three values instead of four and they are related by OR since we evaluated the AND away.

Rather than depend on you or your readers understanding how the compiler will evaluate complex expressions, it is best to always use parentheses when you use different operators. Perhaps you wanted
a or b and c or d
to be evaluated as
(a or b) and (c or d)
That would most likely give a different result than the default interpretation. Or how about:
((a or b) and c) or d
As you can see, there are several different results and only YOU know what you want.

Last edited by Pat Hartman; 10-11-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Pat Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
Micron
AWF VIP

Quote:
If a <> b will result in FALSE if either a or b is null. No text of a null value will ever return true except IsNull()
Not that I ever said "no text of a Null will ever return true" because I have no idea what that means. I've never heard of "a text of a Null" but as for the rest, did you test?

?6<>5 and 3=null and 7<>9
Null
?6<>Null and 3=3 and 7<>9
Null
?6<>5 and 3=3 and 7<>Null
Null
Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #15
kitty77
Newly Registered User

Thanks for all the good info on this subject. Got it working!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: