Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Visual Basic

Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #1
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

Dangerous is on a distinguished road
VBA, I desperately need help.

I have built an Assess database with various forms and in the process of expanding it to cover everything I need to do with it.

I'm at the point where before I proceed I need to be able to select a group of record.

There are about 30 fields in each record, some of which contain data from lookup table, another holds attached photos but the majority hold data from the table itself.

One from displays all the fields to allow data entry.

I can, by using the Filter option of ADVANCED, CLEAR ALL FILTERS then ADVANCED, FILTER BY FORM, than after entering one or more items of data in the form by typing in a data field - use drop the down box or click the radio button in the option group and clicking TOGGLE FILTER, have selected all the matching records.

This works perfectly for me but as there may/will be other users the ribbon etc. will be hidden preventing alterations to layout etc. I need a FIND MATCHING RECORDS button to switch from the menu to the search form then something to toggle records so all are selected (toggle filter) and another button to clear selected and start another search if required.

As the only bit of VBA I've managed to get to work is DoCmd.OpenForm "permissions", acNormal (found on internet lol) I don't hold out much hope of finding out how to do this myself.

Anyone help a COMPLETE BEGINNER?

Dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
Ranman256
Newly Registered User

Ranman256 will become famous soon enough Ranman256 will become famous soon enough
Re: VBA, I desperately need help.

do you want boxes to use to filter like:
cboState , user enters a state
txtLast, user enters a persons last name
etc...
btnFilter, click to filter the records on these values?
It CAN be done with vb code...but

rather than build all that, cant the user just right click on State field , filter, entery code,
then right click on LastName , then filter on the name?

zero code, same results.
Ranman256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #3
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

I don't know how best to do what I want.

I can do what I need to by using the sort & filter commands on the ribbon but as the ribbon will be hidden (plus I won't want people to have to read or remember the steps every time) I need it to be automated.

I don't know exactly what you mean by STATE FIELD.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,951 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

I recommend you tell us about the application in simple plain English. You could also post a copy of your database in a ZIP file.
Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #5
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

Assume the database is a list of photos.

It could contain the following (and more)

Title
Camera used
Lens used
Thumbnail of photo
Option Box, select radio buttons for landscape, cityscape, portrait, nightscape (one option only)
Option Box, select radio buttons for trees, rivers, cars, wildlife, buildings, flowers (multiple options

Then I may need to find & display all records (one per page) that were taken near Falkirk - taken by fred - using his Canon XXX camera - and showed both trees & rivers.

Then repeat the filter for all photos that matched other criteria (after clearing previous filter)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

I might be able to figure it out if I could convert the built in macros to VBA, that's the ones on the ribbon
especially those groups in the Sort & filter section.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

I have found that the "Filter by button" option shows as Filter By Form (FilterAdvancedByForm) when hovered over in the Customize the Quick Access Toolbar but I've not been able to run that no matter what I've tried. If I could figure out the correct way to do that then the other commands could be added and it may work for me.

Can anyone help?

Old 10-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
jdraw
Super Moderator

jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

I recall a photo with attributes question
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=276886

A lot of what you need seems to focus on the kind of question/searches you want to be able to do. This involves assigning several meaningful attributes from some ultimate list. Then your search/filter can be assembled in some form and the results obtained.

If you zip your database, I think you should be able to attach it. You may get more focused responses this way.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,490 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Will the information in the list you gave in post 5 be stored as fields in a table ...or are you expecting to extract this data from the EXIF data in the image itself?

If the latter you might find it useful to extract the extended properties (AKA file attributes) for each image file. I have an example app you can use to do that.
See http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/e...ies/4594398115.
Its also here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=294548

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

That was an example rather than the actual data names. All data will be entered in to fields in a table and displayed on a form. In total there are 20 fields with a few more required.

Object of the filter is to select only the records that match all of the search criteria which could be data in one or more than one field.

In the example it could just be all photos taken by fred or all by fred that are landscapes.

Edited to add: In the actual database the photo is just a piece of date and may be omitted from the record if not required rather than what the record is about.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,490 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Ok there are two things here.

1. Entering the data for each photo into Access for which using the extended properties should be a significant help.

2. Filtering the data using the selections made in multiple combo boxes.
To do that you will need to build the WHERE part of your query SQL concatenating the output from each.

As we don't know your field names and datatypes, I suggest you start by looking at this article by Allen Browne on creating a search form http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Dangerous (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

Had a look at that info, To me it's all double dutch (translated to Martian by a Klingon lol).

Up to now the only thing I have managed to do is the reset filter and have changed it so it selects all records rather than none.

I'll keep looking but first impressions it won't give the results I need as it says one record per ling & I need 1 per form/screen.

Thanks for trying , Is there any basic VBA tutorials for a total beginner?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

It wouldn't help me giving field names as there will be over 20 and filtering could be done on from any 1 to 12 fields out of 20 or more.

Fictitious field names of F1 to F25 in a routine would do and I'd adapt to suit.

To be perfectly the build in filter commands work perfectly but as I say the ribbon will be hidden so calling them, one seems to be called FilterAdvancedByForm, by clicking a button (text or icon) placed on the form would be perfect.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

Isladogs.

I've found how to call filterByForm by clicking text with assigned event but once the records are found I can't do anything other than entering a search term in a field box. I can of course click the ApplyFilter button on the ribbon at which time any buttons or clickable text becomes active again, until then they are greyed out.

Tried Esc., Enter, etc. but they do nothing till I click a ribbon button to apply the filter.

Any Ideas?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
jdraw
Super Moderator

Post a copy of the database to get more focused responses.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: