Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 11-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #121
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough
Re: Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Col, we care. But sometimes we don't cry in public. Too many emotion-pandering journalists out there for us to wear our hearts on our sleeves.
Ok, I'll give you that. But not the crocodile tears from Trump, all he thinks about is the millions of dollars given to his campaign by the NRA so guns are good.

Col

Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #122
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Mark_ will become famous soon enough

So I have to wonder.... If it is already illegal to commit murder, it is illegal to use a firearm outside of an area authorized to use it, and illegal for the shooter in Texas to own a firearm, what further restrictions would have helped?

Maybe prohibiting anyone from Europe from communicating with anyone in America? Maybe prohibiting anyone from driving? Maybe prohibiting anyone who's been convicted of a crime from going within 500m of a church?

I am grateful for one thing, the neighbors responded quickly. If the local populace was unarmed, those who live adjacent to the church would not have been armed and would not have been able to prevent further deaths.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #123
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Mark, add to that question this little tid-bit: Because of his dishonorable discharge from the military and a mental-health note on his record (related to said discharge), the shooter was rejected by local gun shops when he tried to legally purchase his weapons. Which means he got his guns illegally. So THAT restriction didn't stop him either.

At what point do you recognize that human nature is going to bypass ALL roadblocks when someone gets a crazy idea in his/her head? You can't stop this with laws. You can't stop this with procedures. Crazy is as crazy does, and when you are dealing with a true whack-a-doodle, they will go to crazy extremes.

It also seems from the evidence that there MIGHT have been a revenge element against his ex-wife and her family (who were parishioners of that church). But they happened to not be in services that day. Are we going to outlaw divorce from a mentally unstable man? I can't see that, either.

And finally, if he was mentally out of balance, do we have the right to hold him before he actually does something extreme? Because like it or not, NONE of us are perfectly sane. We all have our breaking points. But UNTIL we break, we also have rights. It is the worst of all dilemmas.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #124
ColinEssex
Old registered user

I should imagine that it is as easy as taking candy from a baby to get an illegal gun in the USA.

There is no answer to these everyday mass shootings. It's well known that most Americans are having some therapy of some sort, maybe that's an indication of the state of mind in the USA.

Col
Old 11-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #125
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I retract one statement. The shooter in the Texas church massacre SHOULD have had a felony on his record (from the case that cause his Dishonorable Discharge) but did not, so he WAS able to get guns through a legal channel. I believe in technical terms that the failure to correctly place a felony conviction on his record is called a "screw-up" or maybe the correct term involves "F" words.

The news outlet I watched retracted the "gun purchase rejected" story after further investigation.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #126
ColinEssex
Old registered user

I had to smile the other day. The BBC interviewed an eyewitness to this church killing thing. It was a man in his 30's I'd guess, and he was actually wearing a cowboy hat. Can you believe it? He looked really stupid.

I know JR Ewing did in Dallas but I assumed that was just for TV.

Is it normal attire? If so, why? I looks like a relic from Wyatt Earp days.

Col
Old 11-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #127
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent will become famous soon enough NauticalGent will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
I retract one statement. The shooter in the Texas church massacre SHOULD have had a felony on his record (from the case that cause his Dishonorable Discharge) but did not, so he WAS able to get guns through a legal channel. I believe in technical terms that the failure to correctly place a felony conviction on his record is called a "screw-up" or maybe the correct term involves "F" words.

The news outlet I watched retracted the "gun purchase rejected" story after further investigation.
From what I read, the AF didnít want to add insult to injury and therefore did not report his crimes to civilian authorities. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. Wonder if someone would like to have that decision back...

Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #128
Mike375
Newly Registered User

Mike375 will become famous soon enough Mike375 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post
I had to smile the other day. The BBC interviewed an eyewitness to this church killing thing. It was a man in his 30's I'd guess, and he was actually wearing a cowboy hat. Can you believe it? He looked really stupid.

I know JR Ewing did in Dallas but I assumed that was just for TV.

Is it normal attire? If so, why? I looks like a relic from Wyatt Earp days.

Col
I suggest you check out the clothing of Wyatt Earp and the American West in general.

You seem to be at your most active when it comes to posting when the subject is something on which you have no knowledge with guns and American West being just two examples.

I think quite a few of you English people are irritated by the fact you sent the convicts to Australia when you should have left them in England and the rest came to Australia. Is there really over 60 million people living on that tiny bit of land??
Mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #129
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

Col, right after Hurricane Katrina took New Orleans apart, I was assigned to work in our offices in Fort Worth, Texas (west of Dallas). The "cowboy" hat was absolutely commonplace. In fact, there is a business district called the "Stockyards" in town where if you are NOT wearing a cowboy hat, you instantly identify yourself as a full-blooded tourist.

Yes, I had such a hat. It was cheap so it didn't last that long - but it lasted longer than my assignment to Fort Worth. I also had the obligatory cowboy boots. In my case, I found some very comfortable "ropers" (it's a boot style) - which I still have, because they are practical when the New Orleans weather gets chilly.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #130
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent will become famous soon enough NauticalGent will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375 View Post
...You seem to be at your most active when it comes to posting when the subject is something on which you have no knowledge with guns and American West being just two examples....
And the hits just keep,on coming!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EDBB6E9F-CFEB-4F8E-9167-841A3B05C197.jpeg (30.7 KB, 29 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: