Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 09-26-2019, 01:04 AM   #1
dunebuggy
Newly Registered User

dunebuggy is on a distinguished road
Alternative approach to multivalue field

From what I've read it seems best to avoid using multivalue fields for a number of reasons. I haven't been able to find out the ideal way to approach it, however.

I want to design a form to capture the various countries in which a study was performed. Without using the mvf option in Access, how would I design a form to efficiently capture:

Study 1: Countries UK, US, ES, etc
Study 2: Countries IT, RU etc

I guess it's a many-to-many relationship between studies and countries, with a join table?

Thank you.

dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,706 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough
Re: Alternative approach to multivalue field

tblStudies is the primary table,
tblStudyCountries would be a child table with

StudyCountryID - PK - Autonumber
StudyID - FK - relating back to the study
CountryID - FK - Assuming you have a table of countries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
dunebuggy
Newly Registered User

dunebuggy is on a distinguished road

Thank you for replying Minty. I understand the relationships better now.

With reference to form design, what kind of a control would I put on a form, making it as easy as possible to choose several countries?

dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #4
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,978 Times in 2,710 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

I would use a multiselect listbox.

Website links:

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:17 AM   #5
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,550 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Since you seem to be relatively new to using Access, Colin's suggestion of using a "multiselect" listbox is correct but here is how you do it. First, build a listbox. Then in the control properties for the list box, you have the option of making it single-select or multi-select. When you do that, you need to read up on how to step through the various possible values of the listbox to see which one is selected.

I'm on a limited system right now so cannot do a quick search, but the topic to look for is the listbox's .Selected property, which is indexed by a row-number derived from the row on which that value was shown as a selectable option. And note when enumerating the rows of a listbox in a loop that Access numbers its rows started from 0, not 1. So the loop might be from 0 to (number-of-rows - 1).
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #6
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,232 Times in 1,213 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Hi. Just in case helps, study this demo.

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,498 Times in 1,413 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
I'm on a limited system right now so cannot do a quick search, but the topic to look for is the listbox's .Selected property,
The ItemsSelected collection is generally the best way to determine the selected items with a multiselect listbox. The Selected property applies to single rows and would require every item to be addressed and tested for True or False with a loop.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,550 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Whoops, forgot about that collection. It's been a while and I was sending from a one-lung machine when I wrote that. But you are right - the .ItemsSelected collection is easier to enumerate than the whole list.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Dunebuggy,
any other information you need to record by country? i.e. number of participants, date (or date range), coordinator, ect?
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,511 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

The "no code" solution is to use a subform. You can make it small and frameless if you prefer that look. The subform would use a combo to select the country.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: