Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
Jonny
Newly Registered User

Jonny is on a distinguished road
Error "The record source '|' specified on this form or report does not exist"

Same file works smoothly on my PC , but certain tables throw errors on customer side.
Have anyone faced that error, any thoughts?

Last edited by Jonny; 10-16-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,707 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough
Re: Error "The record source '|' specified on this form or report does not exist"

Totally stabbing in the dark without more information, maybe a linked excel file or table that isn't on their system?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
faap (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
faap
Newly Registered User

faap is on a distinguished road
Re: Error "The record source '|' specified on this form or report does not exist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Same file works smoothly on my PC , but certain tables thru errors on customer side.
Have anyone faced that error, any thoughts?

The error seems to say that it's trying to interpret the pipe character | as part of the record source.

I think it really depends where you are getting the error, is it on a form, a report, a query, etc.?

As Minty suggested some more contextual info may help.

faap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,560 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

The PIPE character or vertical bar is an indicator that one of the fields you named in a query isn't in the indicated location. It CAN be as simple as spelling the field name wrong or by using a multi-table join, attempting to qualify the field with table.field syntax, and using the wrong table for the field (i.e. field ain't here, it's THERE).

However, if it works for some folks but not for others, you need to verify uniformity and correctness of table mapping.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,293 Times in 1,274 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jonny. Are we talking about a properly split database?

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
Jonny
Newly Registered User

I've checked the issue on customer side and found that during sending the DB by email some of the table and the connections got lost?! Tried to archive and then to send, got same issue.
Does it make sense?
Old 10-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,560 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Jonny, this is for clarification only: Are you saying that your DB sends something by email and at that time some external connection vanishes / breaks / closes?

If that is correct, then the question is, how is that connection established? ODBC? Mapping a table statically? Something more dynamic? We need to know about the setup that leads from your DB to that table.

You also said "some of the table" and that makes me wonder if you meant that more than one table vanishes. If so, are all of the vanishing tables in the same place?

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
Jonny
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Jonny, this is for clarification only: Are you saying that your DB sends something by email and at that time some external connection vanishes / breaks / closes?

If that is correct, then the question is, how is that connection established? ODBC? Mapping a table statically? Something more dynamic? We need to know about the setup that leads from your DB to that table.

You also said "some of the table" and that makes me wonder if you meant that more than one table vanishes. If so, are all of the vanishing tables in the same place?
Sorry for confusing, the tables are lost while sending file by gmail.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Cronk
Newly Registered User

Cronk will become famous soon enough Cronk will become famous soon enough

It's still confusing. Tables exist inside a database. Is the database file not being sent? Or are the linked tables data inside a spreadsheet/s?
Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,017 Times in 2,744 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

I think its a split database and the front end is being sent out by email.
As the linked tables aren't in the front end, these aren't included in the file sent.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

I know that you know that we both know nothing
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #11
Cronk
Newly Registered User

Or the linked tables are to data that is not available to the problem PC.

Or the backend is meant to reside with the front end on the local disk ie read only system and the backend is not being emailed.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,026 Times in 1,973 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Jonny,

What exactly is being sent?
Is this a split database with a shared back end on a network, and a copy of the front end on each user's PC?
Please provide more details of the setup, the "tables" that get lost....
Good luck with your project.
Some email system installations will drop/prevent files by type (corporate policy etc)

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #13
Jonny
Newly Registered User

Angry Re: Error "The record source '|' specified on this form or report does not exist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
I think its a split database and the front end is being sent out by email.
As the linked tables aren't in the front end, these aren't included in the file sent.
The database was not split, however somehow after sending by email not all tables arrive..
Old 10-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #14
Cronk
Newly Registered User

Quote:
I've checked the issue on customer side and found that during sending the DB by email some of the table and the connections got lost?!
What the connections that you referred to in #6? I don't see how you have connections with an unsplit database.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #15
Jonny
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronk View Post
What the connections that you referred to in #6? I don't see how you have connections with an unsplit database.
By connection I mean to connections between tables.
Some of the tables disappeare with sending the file as well as the connections. To make story short, the file arrives not as it sent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: