Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Site Suggestions

Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,887 Times in 62 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future
Paid Membership ideas

I am considering a number of ways to add more value to the site in return for a paid membership. Please note, I am not advocating charging for what you currently get for free. I am talking about additional functionality.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Just adding a donate button, for those who want to support the site.

2. Paid membership option adding 12 additional forums, each of which will take a beginning Access user through a training course. The idea is that Month 1 gets released with perhaps a simple database and a video that shows how it was built. Month 2 does the same but teaching more intricate detail and so on. By Month 10 they would be using vba code and more.

3. Paid membership option for increase the abilities of the forum user, such as larger inbox, larger file upload, signature links, Paid Member badge, private forum area.

4. Downloadable cheat sheet area and maybe repository for database objects pre-built. Maybe ready made code too.

These are just some of my ideas.

What are your thoughts?

Jon

Last edited by Jon; 05-05-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
KenHigg

KenHigg has a spectacular aura about KenHigg has a spectacular aura about
Re: Paid Membership ideas

You want me to pay you to provide a third party help on access?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ken

“You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.”
KenHigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

It's okay by me. As long as we don't start charging for the information that is already available for free. I've been a member of forums that have done this bait and switch tactic before and it never works out well in the end.

I'd certainly be willing to donate as well, but can't promise how much.

Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
KenHigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
It's okay by me. As long as we don't start charging for the information that is already available for free. I've been a member of forums that have done this bait and switch tactic before and it never works out well in the end.

I'd certainly be willing to donate as well, but can't promise how much.
You have to be kidding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ken

“You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.”
Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHigg View Post
You have to be kidding?
Do I?

If he wants to introduce new features and charge for them to help pay for bandwidth, I see nothing wrong with that. As long as how the forum exists today remains as is. Have you ever seen the bandwidth costs for a site this popular? Google Ads doesn't pay jack.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
KenHigg

If you want to give Jon your time AND MONEY go ahead.

ken

Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Kryst51
Singin' in the Hou. Rain

Kryst51 will become famous soon enough Kryst51 will become famous soon enough

Hi Jon,

I like some of your ideas. I don't know that I would pay for a membership (as such luzeries are not possible), but I see no problem in offering membership for more amenities. And as Vassago said, I too would be willing to donate, also not knowing how much I would be able to.

- Table defined lookups, not lookups in general
ACCESS 2010
Kryst51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

I amended my initial post for clarity, by adding..."Please note, I am not advocating charging for what you currently get for free. I am talking about additional functionality."

KenHigg, you are not giving me your time but other users. These boards are expensive in both time and money to run. It is perfectly natural to want to monetize.

The idea is that those who don't want the additional functionality just carry on as they are.

Jon
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
KenHigg

Maybe I read it wrong. As long as the forum as it exists today remains intact and you pay for additional features go for it. I don't see myself paying for any of it. I'm here because I to occasionally need help but mostly because I like helping others. For free

ken

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Your help is appreciate Ken and long may you enjoy the free part of the forums! What would interest me is what would it take to encourage you to part with money for a paid section? What would you like to see that would tempt you?

I see part of the problem being that there are both beginners and experts on the forum. The experts are not going to be interested in the beginners course, and vice versa.

Jon
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

I would be willing to donate financially some to the cause. I have done so in the past for another forum (on which I gave free help to and wasn't the beneficiary, but helped support it financially). I also might be interested in additional PM space, maybe an Ad free space for a paid membership. It would make it look a lot cleaner that way, so it would be a nice perk.

boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
KenHigg

Smile Re: Paid Membership ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I amended my initial post for clarity, by adding..."Please note, I am not advocating charging for what you currently get for free. I am talking about additional functionality."

KenHigg, you are not giving me your time but other users. These boards are expensive in both time and money to run. It is perfectly natural to want to monetize.

The idea is that those who don't want the additional functionality just carry on as they are.
If you make a nickel in profit from this site, and I doubt you do it out of the goodness of your heart, then it's like I am giving you my time, or a small portion of it. Which is fine, I like helping others.

Is monetize like making more of a profit?

ken

Old 05-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Kryst51
Singin' in the Hou. Rain

Kryst51 will become famous soon enough Kryst51 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Your help is appreciate Ken and long may you enjoy the free part of the forums! What would interest me is what would it take to encourage you to part with money for a paid section? What would you like to see that would tempt you?

I see part of the problem being that there are both beginners and experts on the forum. The experts are not going to be interested in the beginners course, and vice versa.
Maybe you could do a pay by course or level type thing? I would certainly be willling to part with some money for that kind of thing, especially if it could be backed up by a Q&A type thing at the end. Or some kind of test to make sure you learned what the course was teaching. I realize you probably don't want this to be a "course" in the "class" since of the word, just using the same word that you were.

I am going to think about what other things that I might be willing to pay for...

- Table defined lookups, not lookups in general
ACCESS 2010
Kryst51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
chergh
blah

chergh will become famous soon enough chergh will become famous soon enough

Well nothing there is nothing you have mentioned that I would pay for.

The only thing I can really think that I would be potentially interested are articles relating to useful Windows API functions and perhaps automating office apps using one of the .net languages, probably C# would be of most interest, and even then I'm not convinced I couldn't find the same info for free, but if the articles were useful enough I would stump up cash for them.

chergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
Vassago
Administrator

Maybe some deals that would help us get course work for certifications and the such. That would be something worth donating for.

I also like the idea of ad-free for donators. This has been successful in other forums as well. Just as long as we don't turn into Experts Exchange.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: