Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
mdlueck
Sr. Application Developer

mdlueck will become famous soon enough mdlueck will become famous soon enough
Correct syntax to make Class Function Private yet callable by instances of Class

Greetings,

I would like to make a function within a class Private, yet retain ability to call the function via "Me.FuncName" within the class.

At first I thought to change Public to Private for this particular Function in the Class. Other Functions in the class could not call it via "Me.FuncName"

I dropped the Private declariaton and now other functions in the class may call "Me.FuncName", however elsewhere in the program that use instances of this class, I see the Private FuncName showing up, via the VBA AutoComplete assistance.

1) So, is there no need to declare Class Funcs as Public since they show up without?

2) And how to make a Func Private, callable by the class itself only?

mdlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
vbaInet
AWF VIP

Thanked 2,423 Times in 2,389 Posts
vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all
Re: Correct syntax to make Class Function Private yet callable by instances of Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlueck View Post
1) So, is there no need to declare Class Funcs as Public since they show up without?
Yes it makes no difference but it's always good to be explicit. Functions are Public as default whereas (I believe) variables are Private as default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlueck View Post

2) And how to make a Func Private, callable by the class itself only?
Not possible I'm afraid. VBA doesn't support any other scope declaration keywords. VBA doesn't fully support OOP as well.
vbaInet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vbaInet For This Useful Post:
mdlueck (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
mdlueck

Re: Correct syntax to make Class Function Private yet callable by instances of Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbaInet View Post
Not possible I'm afraid. VBA doesn't support any other scope declaration keywords.
eeewww... That is unfortunate that Private is not supported. I guess I will really discourage direct calling in the comments. (shrug).

Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
mdlueck

In fact I went as far as placing the prefix "Priv_" in the front of the name of the function. That way it is a bit more obvious in the VBA editor which smart guesses what you might be typing.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
vbaInet
AWF VIP

Thanked 2,423 Times in 2,389 Posts
vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all

All you do is simply declare it as Private and don't use the Me. syntax when you call it within the class. Just call it using the function name.

vbaInet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: