Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 05-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
SarahNorth
Newly Registered User

SarahNorth is on a distinguished road
DLookup based on Average, no result

I have created a report that has averages for some groupings. I then use DLookup to retrive marks assaigned to those specific averages from another table. The correct result only shows for the last record on the report. It is as if the result from =Avg() is calculated after the field with the DLookup function executes. If I use a field withouth a calculation to test my DLookup function everything works out fine.
How can I force one calculation to be completed before another or how to I get Access to execute the DLookup function after a second or even put that code behind a button.
I want to use the average in the report to look up the primary key in another table and then return what is in the field corresponding to that ID into a text field.
Help please

SarahNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,741 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: DLookup based on Average, no result

I've read this several time but am struggling to understand how the different parts link together. Th fact that there have ben almost 20 views with no other replies may indicate I'm not alone.
Please try explaining again and add screenshots or attach your db. Zip first as you have less than ten posts.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
SarahNorth (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 01:25 AM   #3
SarahNorth
Newly Registered User

OK I will try to explain better.
The first attachment shows the report and how the fields I want to show to display my DLookup result are empty and the second attachment shows my DLookup. It is as if the Average function on which the DLookup relys on doesn't get calculated until after the DLookup. Do I have to create a temporary table or can I use an event to force the report to populate the fields. Still, help please!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Database.jpg (22.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Database2.jpg (7.5 KB, 15 views)

Old 05-26-2019, 01:58 AM   #4
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Yes I can see why it wouldn't work reliably.
You're trying to look up values using criteria that aren't stored data.
Suggest you use an aggregate query to calculate the averages.
Then base your DLookup on that query rather than just the table.
That way you know the averages are calculated first

Website links:

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
SarahNorth (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
SarahNorth
Newly Registered User

Hi Isladogs
Thank you very much that has worked
Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Excellent. Good luck with the rest of your project.

Website links:

Tags
calculations , dlookup access forms , reports

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: