Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 09-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
awaldrep
Newly Registered User

awaldrep is on a distinguished road
Table is recieving ID instead of description from form

I have a form with two combo boxes where one is dependent on the other. Essentially the user will select a category of products in the first one, and a specific product in the other. Once the record is saved it puts that data in the table associated with the form. However it shows the ID for both of these fields, instead of the description of it. I.E. it will show a 1 vs. the specific product name. The number won't mean much to those using it so I would like to have it where the names are what's going into the table fields. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!!

awaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,630 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice
Re: Table is recieving ID instead of description from form

actually that is the correct way, to save to id of the number and Link it back to the table (via query) to get the description. otherwise, you are only duplicating what is already on the other table.

but it is your call, on design view of the your form, set the Bound Column of the combo to 2.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

I would not do it. If that descriptive name changes for any reason, you will lose relationships.

Just retrieve the descriptive name when needed. It is very easy to do.

Plus users should not be looking directly at tables, only at data through forms/reports and perhaps queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaldrep View Post
I have a form with two combo boxes where one is dependent on the other. Essentially the user will select a category of products in the first one, and a specific product in the other. Once the record is saved it puts that data in the table associated with the form. However it shows the ID for both of these fields, instead of the description of it. I.E. it will show a 1 vs. the specific product name. The number won't mean much to those using it so I would like to have it where the names are what's going into the table fields. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!!

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,513 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

Users NEVER, EVER get to look at raw tables or queries. users only interact with forms and reports you create for them. You use queries (or combos), as the others have suggested to display the data.

Tags
dynamic combo box , form , table

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: