Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 10-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
NancyR
Newly Registered User

NancyR is on a distinguished road
Appending Table with a Picture

I am trying to combine two tables that are very similar, I used Append.

It gave me the "An Append query cannot contain a multi-valued field" error message.

Through examination, I figured out that the graphic field is what Access considers multi-valued. It won't append or update that picture!

Since these are databases of designs, the picture is vital.

Is there a work-around? Am I doing something simple, incorrectly?

NancyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,741 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Appending Table with a Picture

Look at the table design for that field. What is the datatype?
If its an attachment field or a text field allowing multiple vales (multivalued field), most developers would advise you to modify your approach.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns Ė the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

You shouldn't store attachments in Access tables - too many issues and the file size can quickly reach the limit. Better to have a text field that stores the file path and use something like Application.FollowHyperlink method - without making the field a hyperlink field.

Since I don't do this, I can't be sure but the message indicates something else to me. Are you sure that it pertains to the attachment field? Did you remove only this field and then you could append to the table? I would have expected the message to be more like 'cannot append to a field of complex data type' or something, which would include attachment fields as well as multi value fields. Those are typically something else, and are another thing you should avoid.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,289 Times in 1,270 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Hi Nancy. If you're looking for a workaround, then maybe you could take a look at this demo. Hope it helps...

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
NancyR
Newly Registered User

Did you remove only this field and then you could append to the table?

Yes, the rest of the fields worked as expected.

Better to have a text field that stores the file path and use something like Application.FollowHyperlink method - without making the field a hyperlink field.

I actually tried this at first (years ago). My issue was a relative reference to the linked location vice an absolute one. If I want to copy my DB to a thumb drive and move it to my laptop, I couldn't figure out how to make the hyperlink be to a subdirectory that moved with it (relative ref), it was always trying to look over there ---> (absolute ref), where I copied it from.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,630 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

what is the fieldtype, OLE or Attachment?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
NancyR
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
what is the fieldtype, OLE or Attachment?
Attachment.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

If images folder is located in same folder as database, relative pathing in Image control ControlSource property could be like:

=CurrentProject.Path & "\ImagesFolder\" & [ImageNameField]

If images are PDF, use that pathing in FollowHyperlink

Or construct 3-part hyperlink string in a textbox set as hyperlink:

="#" & CurrentProject.Path & "\ImagesFolder\" & [ImageNameField] & "#"

Last edited by June7; 10-06-2019 at 11:40 AM.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

NancyR,

One of the other reasons most of us recommend keeping attachments as a path to the file is because of how difficult it is to update/keep the current attachment straight when you try to edit it.

If you save the path, when you update your image/document/what ever, it is automatically reflected in your database. If you save the attachment you have to write it out to disk, update it, then re-import it followed by deleting the saved copy. Miss or mess up one of those and you have different versions of your attachment in your program and located elsewhere. Honestly for me its too much bother to do all that when a simple path avoids so much work for me.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
NancyR,

One of the other reasons most of us recommend keeping attachments as a path to the file is because of how difficult it is to update/keep the current attachment straight when you try to edit it.

If you save the path, when you update your image/document/what ever, it is automatically reflected in your database. If you save the attachment you have to write it out to disk, update it, then re-import it followed by deleting the saved copy. Miss or mess up one of those and you have different versions of your attachment in your program and located elsewhere. Honestly for me its too much bother to do all that when a simple path avoids so much work for me.
Hi Mark. I'm not saying I disagree but just wanted to mention that all that "work" (saving to disk, update, and reimport) is automatically done for you by Access when using an Attachment field. For instance, if you embed a Word doc as an Attachment field, double-clicking the attachment (or selecting Open) will make Access pull the attachment from the table, place it in a Temp folder, open it for editing, and when the user is finished with the changes, closing the Word doc will automatically reimport the new file to replace the old attachment (after user confirmation). Just my 2 cents...

|
|
Old 10-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

theDBGuy,

Didn't know that. Had run into an issue with it a while ago and had kinda sworn them off...
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
theDBGuy,

Didn't know that. Had run into an issue with it a while ago and had kinda sworn them off...
Can't say I blame you. Cheers!

|
|
Old 10-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
NancyR
Newly Registered User

Gentlemen, much as I appreciate the info/suggestions, no one has actually answered the question. Can I move/append/copy/update records containing an attachment from one table to another?
Old 10-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,741 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

I believe the answer is No (or at least not directly) for both attachment and other MVF fields.
These depend on data stored in hidden system tables which cannot be directly edited.
There are many reasons not to use attachment / MVF fields.
See this article on my website: http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/m...lds/4594468763
Strongly advise you to get rid of them

Website links:

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns Ė the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld

Last edited by isladogs; 10-06-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added link
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

We've been less help than normal because it's not something we'd find ourselves needing to do. Having said that, I Googled and oddly enough, it appears to be doable via code. The code samples or links in this thread might be missing or broken, but it's a start
https://access-programmers.co.uk/for...d.php?t=246743

Then there is (read down to find posted code)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...orum=accessdev

Probably something you'll have to Google

Last edited by Micron; 10-06-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added link
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: