Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
timmeahy

timmeahy is on a distinguished road
Question Beginners question - Auto update fields based on fields in another table

I don't have any database experience whatsoever so please go easy.
I'm guessing this kind of this is extremely simple for all of you.

I'm constructing a database of network resources and devices and I'd like to automatically update the values in one field based on the values of a field in another table.

The first table is called "IP" and the fields are called "Address", "IP Type" and "Device".
The second table is called "Devices" and contains the fields "Name", "Description", "Asset Number" and "IP".

Here's an example of the tables: (ignore the "code" tag. i've only used it to align my columns properly)
Code:
DEVICES:
Name		Description	Asset	IP
Xserve		File Server	107	203.30.144.75
ProliantX	DHCP		119	203.30.144.15
Code:
IP:
Address			IP Type		Device
203.30.144.75		Static		
203.30.144.15		Static
What I want is for the Device field in the IP table to automatically update it's values based on the values found in the Devices table. In this case, the values that should appear in the Device field in the IP table are "Xserve" and "ProliantX".

I've searched through but haven't found a complete solution, just little pieces which I'm too inexperienced to put together myself.

thank you
-Tim

timmeahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
WayneRyan
AWF VIP

WayneRyan is a jewel in the rough WayneRyan is a jewel in the rough WayneRyan is a jewel in the rough WayneRyan is a jewel in the rough
Tim,

The real answer is that you don't need the information in both tables.
In fact, you really DO NOT WANT the information in both tables.

A query can retrieve all info at any time:

Code:
Select Devices.Name, Devices.Description, Devices.Asset, Devices.IP, IP.Type
From   Devices Inner Join IP On Devices.IP = IP.Address
Having multiple copies of the same information allows you to introduce errors
into your data.

hth,
Wayne
WayneRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,579 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeahy View Post
I don't have any database experience whatsoever so please go easy.
I'm guessing this kind of this is extremely simple for all of you.

I'm constructing a database of network resources and devices and I'd like to automatically update the values in one field based on the values of a field in another table.

The first table is called "IP" and the fields are called "Address", "IP Type" and "Device".
The second table is called "Devices" and contains the fields "Name", "Description", "Asset Number" and "IP".

Here's an example of the tables: (ignore the "code" tag. i've only used it to align my columns properly)
Code:
DEVICES:
Name		Description	Asset	IP
Xserve		File Server	107	203.30.144.75
ProliantX	DHCP		119	203.30.144.15
Code:
IP:
Address			IP Type		Device
203.30.144.75		Static		
203.30.144.15		Static
What I want is for the Device field in the IP table to automatically update it's values based on the values found in the Devices table. In this case, the values that should appear in the Device field in the IP table are "Xserve" and "ProliantX".

I've searched through but haven't found a complete solution, just little pieces which I'm too inexperienced to put together myself.

thank you
-Tim
Believe me, I am trying to go easy on you, but I want you to know that you really, really appear to be doing something totally unnecessary. You should only store a value ONCE, not in multiple tables. I think you are possibly looking to create a table that is not necessary and that the information can be pulled via a query but you aren't sure how to do it and making a table in the format you want to see the data in is easier for you (even though it is really incorrect). Is that correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: