Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 08-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
spinkung
Newly Registered User

spinkung is on a distinguished road
DB state?

Hi All,

I have a button on a form which when clicked queries a lotus notes db. This places my db in a frozen state for a good 2/3 mins.

My questions is....

If i have multiple users using the db and someone triggers the import will all the other users find the db in a frozen state??

i.e does access proccess the code on the individual machine or is it done at the db location and will everyone be unable to perform actions??

Thanks,
Spin.

spinkung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
DCrake
Administrator

DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Skype™ to DCrake
Re: DB state?

First question are you using a split FE/BE system. If so the processing is done at machine level however the db is ported across the network, interrogated and released.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Home of Simple Software Solutions.

O/S Windows XP (SP3) & Windows 7 64bit
Access 2003 (version 11.0)
Access 2007 (version 12.0)

Remember when posting sample databases you will get a better response if it is pre Access 2007 - not all people have it installed.
DCrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
spinkung
Newly Registered User

thanks crake,

unfortunately you lost me at "First...".

I haven't split the db into FE/BE. Is it always best practive to do this, does is cost more overhead/time when querying the back end???

can you help me understand "however the db is ported across the network" please??

thanks, spin.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
DCrake
Administrator

DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light DCrake is a glorious beacon of light

There a plenty of discussions on splitting mdb's between front end and back end. Not doing so will enevetably lead to corruption. Do a search on this for a more concise explanation. Giving you the reasons here would be like re inventing the wheel.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remember when posting sample databases you will get a better response if it is pre Access 2007 - not all people have it installed.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
spinkung
Newly Registered User

thanks again crake. i have since educated myself on the 10 commandments.

Am i right in thinking then that if the db is split that the users no longer have shortcuts on their pc's to the db but actually have the FE db stored locally on their pc's.

Isn't this a bit of a pain in the ass if you make any updates?? or am i getting this wrong and the shortcut to the FE still applies?

thanks,
spin.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #6
DCrake
Administrator

Each user will have their copy on their machine and the shortcut will point to the front end, which inturn has links to the back end. Updates can be a pain but there are topics on auto updating of front ends on the forum.

David

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: