Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Access Web

Old 08-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

HillTJ is on a distinguished road
Reliability Problems split FE/BE. A better Way?

Hi, We've been running our quotation database for a month or so & the application works well. It has a split FE/BE. The FE is installed on each local M/C & the BE is saved on a remote networked data drive (at our head office). Unfortunately, we are now experiencing regular drop outs "Connection Interrupted" necessitating restarting the app. Our IT department is unwilling to assist (I'd suggest they are not happy that we maybe treading on their turf!). Are there any work arounds that will improve reliability as we wish to use this remotely by our sales staff in the field. Appreciate any advice. Seems we may have to skirt around the fringes!!

HillTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
theDBguy
I知 here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Reliability Problems split FE/BE. A better Way?

Hi. When you say “in the field,” how will the sales team connect to the BE?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
a remote networked data drive
This is Ethernet or some other type of cable? Surely you don't mean wireless - that is a recipe for corruption.

Replication is out of the question; Sharepoint is no longer being trumpeted by M$; web based databases using Access are no longer supported either. Data import may be possible from field fe's (Get External Data) but would need to be well thought out.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

Guys, we need our sales staff to have access to the application via laptops as they visit clients. I'd anticipate this maybe via mobile hotspot or wifi. I understand that this will not work reliably with 'native' Access. I ask what can be done?. We currently have 4 PC FE installations connected to a server via ethernet with the BE on the server. I have heard of SQL Express, which seems to be what we may need to handle the data transfer. However, our IT department are unwilling to assist. Any advice would be most appreciated. What is Microsoft Azure Cloud? Has anyone any experience with it?

Last edited by HillTJ; 08-07-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,395 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

You are pretty screwed trying to connect any external computers to your network without the support of your IT Department.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #6
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

Check out Citrix. As I mentioned, synchronizing may be possible if users are not modifying the same records. If they are, who uploads first?
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #7
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

To the best of my knowledge, cloud based BE are a non-starter. Your best bet, IMHO, would be to develop a batch transaction import routine. I have read one developer even managed to this with emails.

Not that this helps, but SharePoint offers an Offline functionality for just this type of scenario, but Access and SharePoint have parted ways and unless your company already has it, I doubt they would be any help, given what you have alluded to.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

Yeah, gents thanks. Will do some further investigations (negotiations).
Old 08-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTJ View Post
Yeah, gents thanks. Will do some further investigations (negotiations).
Please keep us posted. Good luck!

|
|
Old 08-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

An update, configured a laptop as a file server. Migrated database BE to SQL Express & FE on local M/C. All works, am able to log in remotely BUT response is very "Laggy" & borders on unusable. Don't know why this should be. We log in remotely to a different (Corporate) server for other stuff using the same PC (primarily accounting software) & it works fine. Had a look @ Caspio & registered a demo. I was able to up load my tables, but it appears that I have to recreate all forms & reports. This is a big job. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #11
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
An update, configured a laptop as a file server. Migrated database BE to SQL Express & FE on local M/C. All works, am able to log in remotely BUT response is very "Laggy" & borders on unusable. Don't know why this should be. We log in remotely to a different (Corporate) server for other stuff using the same PC (primarily accounting software) & it works fine. Had a look @ Caspio & registered a demo. I was able to up load my tables, but it appears that I have to recreate all forms & reports. This is a big job. Anyone got any ideas?
Hi. Unfortunately, any migration from Access to a cloud version will pretty much almost start from scratch. Not sure if a migration tool will ever become available for it.

|
|
Old 08-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

theDBguy, yeah looks that way. I have Access reports that include logic statements, lookups etc & also bucket loads of queries. Does anyone have experience reproducing this stuff in Caspio? Seems to me that Caspio only uploads the tables, which are a small part of my overall project.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #13
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
theDBguy, yeah looks that way. I have Access reports that include logic statements, lookups etc & also bucket loads of queries. Does anyone have experience reproducing this stuff in Caspio? Seems to me that Caspio only uploads the tables, which are a small part of my overall project.
Caspio can do almost anything you can do in Access, but you'll have to recreate them using their own logic tools to get the job done. I think you can even tweak some of the built-in features using JavaScript. As I said earlier, Caspio (and others) does not provide a complete migration tool from Access to their cloud system).

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
HillTJ (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

So, is it possible to sync remote data back to a central database?. What I mean is a full install of the database on each remote PC that can be sync'd to a central Database upon return to the office. I cannot get my head around how this may work, particularly if two remote PC's make the same new record (ie key field). Could this be handled? Anyone got any experience with this? Appreciate some direction.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #15
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
So, is it possible to sync remote data back to a central database?. What I mean is a full install of the database on each remote PC that can be sync'd to a central Database upon return to the office. I cannot get my head around how this may work, particularly if two remote PC's make the same new record (ie key field). Could this be handled? Anyone got any experience with this? Appreciate some direction.
Hi. This used to be possible with Access Replication, but it too was deprecated by MS a few versions back. SharePoint is able to do a little bit of it, so that could be an option for you.

|
|

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: