Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #1
Tera
Newly Registered User

Tera is on a distinguished road
Me as a developer and how my apps are used.

I just saw this on tik tok.
It reminded me how my colleagues use my apps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_25564.jpg (85.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by Tera; 08-13-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tera For This Useful Post:
Uncle Gizmo (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about
Re: Me as a developer and how my apps are used.

I can relate. But...and I guess I am lucky in this regard, I have two users who will find the ONE thing I overlooked and find it quickly.

I use them as beta testers. If they run out of "bugs" chances are no one else will find one either!
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
Tera
Newly Registered User

I wish I could find someone too.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
I wish I could find someone too.
Bugs are inevitable. What I don't like is when users don't tell you there's a problem and either just live with it or find creative ways to get around it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,055 Times in 3,991 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Bugs are inevitable. What I don't like is when users don't tell you there's a problem and either just live with it or find creative ways to get around it.
I have those too, and it is annoying. Had a recent situation where I was integrating functionality in my app to a third party app. The functionality in my app was fine so the users didn't bother telling me they were getting an error message, even though I had told them about the integration and to tell me if they got any errors. Arrg!!

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbaldy For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,055 Times in 3,991 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
I just saw this on tik tok.
It reminded me how my colleagues use my apps.
That's funny! There are users that have an uncanny knack for finding ways of doing things you didn't anticipate. I guess anticipating them makes us better developers.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbaldy For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #7
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Almost as annoying as finishing up the change request, rolling out a new function that is on their "Must have" list, and going back 6 months later to see they never use it.

Really hated seeing a call center passing out calculators at a sight I'd done a system for selling services at. One of their managers asked "Can't we get the computer to do this for us?"

I looked them in the face, put my hands to the sides of my head, and looked to be in deep thought for a few seconds. Then I said "Press Control K".

To their amazement a fully functional calculator popped up on their screen, preloaded with the value for the entry they were in.

"How did you do that?" I was asked.

I didn't mention it had been there for HALF A YEAR BECAUSE THEY HAD ASKED FOR IT...

Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_ For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman has a spectacular aura about Gasman has a spectacular aura about Gasman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Just been to a training session for our new computer system that the charity is going to use and hence myself as a user. This has been thoroughly UAT tested before being rolled out for training.

You select an address from a list after putting in a postcode, and selecting the Find button.

The address list is presented as follows
Code:
1 Address Line1
10 Address Line1
110 Address Line1
2 Address Line1
20 Address Line1
210 Address Line1
211 Address Line1
8 Address Line1

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gasman For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Tera
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
I saw this on twitter. It made me laugh so hard.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_6912.jpg (19.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,485 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

MANY years ago I worked for a company that made specialty control systems with a display and a keyboard with a ton of special keys. We had a brand new system and were ready for a phase-one customer demo - to show that while we weren't done, we WERE making some progress on their contract. (That way we could bill them for X percent of contract value.)

Their chief operator liked what he saw but said he had to give us the ass-id test (he drew it that way on purpose.) So he sat on the special keyboard. Not more than 15 seconds later he crashed the system. He explained that his operators would casually sit where they shouldn't be sitting because while they weren't minimum wage, they weren't likely candidates for the Nobel Prize either. He exposed the flaw that our system didn't protect itself from buffer overflows. That fix went in IMMEDIATELY and after that, we never again crashed a system.

A couple of weeks later we were talking about hiring a tester to help us foolproof our programs. However, that led to a discussion of how we might advertise for the position: "Help Wanted - Perfect Fool - to test foolproof programs." When the laughter died down, the next question was "But what fool would hire him?" Followed by "If he's such a fool, why would he even apply for the job? What fool WOULD apply?" Needless to say, the rest of the afternoon was foolishly wasted.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,434 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

I agree that bugs are inevitable and that users will not pass on info about bugs they experience.

For one of my schools apps, I went through adding automatic error logging code to every procedure. Its a huge app and doing so took me several weeks. As well as logging error details (who/what/where/when etc) to a table, the code 'silently' emailed me the error log. I had asked permission to do this beforehand but the individual users were totally unaware of this happening.
When I rolled out the new system the first few weeks were hell with a lot of emails related to a fairly small number of errors from a limited number of users.

I fixed all those bugs, released an update and the emails stopped. Its now been about 18 months since any errors occurred.

So as far as I'm concerned, job done.
The code proved its worth by the fact that its now apparently redundant

Some time prior to that I also added a process to log the use of each feature in the same app.
Doing so allowed me to prioritise updates according to usage.
Like Mark said, I had previously spent a lot of time delivering requested updates that were rarely used.
The usage log gave me evidence to support why certain requests were more important than others.

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 08-13-2019 at 11:26 AM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #12
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,485 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

My biggest Access system for the Navy had that logging idea, though it didn't silently e-mail me the logs. The security guys were pretty cool about a lot of things but they shut the door on the idea of silent e-mails even for one of our own (i.e. not 3rd party) apps. I wanted to, but they said no. All e-mail had to be consciously triggered.

I gently refrained from comments about how some civil servants would never send any e-mail at all under that requirement. After all, the security guys were civil service, too.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 AM   #13
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,670 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

In a couple of my systems I started logging which reports were being run and if they were being exported to excel, and by who.

I wasn't being nosey, just intrigued about which of the 4 million slightly similar report options I'd been asked to create were actually being used...

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #14
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,434 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

I gave my clients the option to opt out of the error logging emails with a simple combo box yes/no setting controllable by program admins.
Although there was an initial hesitation by some clients, all agreed to it once they understood its purpose.
I had originally planned to include a screen grab as an email attachment but couldn't get working reliably.
However Anders Ebro has an excellent Access Crash Reporter utility with that feature (but not the email part)

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Tera (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #15
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

As my job doing QA for Sierra On-Line games, we were supposed to try things that would think that no one should. Unfortunately we missed an easter egg that a programmer had planted that we should have caught. Too many times we followed the script to just be able to get through the game.

kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: