Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Debates

Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,481 Times in 3,368 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice
Re: UK Cycle paths Vs Roads

Quote:
If you want to drive a car in the city you "SOL"
I know 'SAL', what's 'SOL'?

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SOL
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
MickJav
Newly Registered User

MickJav is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
Swings and roundabouts really.
Today I saw a cyclist ride up a one way street the wrong way and that was only in the small suburb of Swansea where I live.
I used to see cars running red lights on roundabout of J48 of the motorway every day. That was just because that was my route to work.

Yeah I agree there Gasman the thing is though in a car your in a protective cage on a cycle or moterbike you havent any protection.

DD's Book Library:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Under Development DD's Works Manager Due end August 2019, DD's Employee Works Rota Demo Expected 2020
MickJav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #19
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJav View Post

I'm going to start a collection of videos when I get my new cam.

I've got a mate who does that - not sure a bicycle is involved though.

Col
Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,367 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

I find roads too dangerous for riding a bicycle. So I ride a unicycle instead.

In Australia a unicyclist is classified as "a pedestrian operating a wheeled recreational device", so we can ride on the footpath as well as roads without marked lanes and having speed limits not above 50 kph.

I can cruise along at about 15 kph and not have to worry much about cars.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #21
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,373 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I remember when playing "tourist" in Ottawa that they have dedicated bicycle lanes that are set aside during non-snow seasons. The guides on the tour bus briefly discussed some statistics on their usage. I was suitable impressed.

I was more impressed (and jealously DEpressed) at the fewer number of potholes in the road in Ottawa. New Orleans cyclists have TWO issues of concern. First, our Louisiana drivers are not very good; they are arrogant and aggressive. Second, our streets are in terrible shape because Hurricane Katrina undercut the street foundations in many places and that led to formation of ginormous potholes. It takes time to do that work in a city that has a LOT of aging infrastructure to repair, particularly when the "suburban flight" is an ongoing process.

I also noted with interest that there is a section of Ottawa where the river flows through to the central business district and according to the guide, when it freezes over, it becomes an ice-skating lane for those who want to skate to work. That seems a bit slow to me, but the exercise benefits do offset the longer travel times. At least on the ice, there are considerably fewer vehicles with a chance to hit the skaters.
The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #22
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

In California our state is doing something called a "road diet" link here. I have no issues sharing the road with bicycles, almost everyone here has one or ten.

I guess my beef with road diets are: California is roughly 700 miles long by 250 miles wide. With almost 40 million people. Now most if not all of this infrastructure was bought and paid for by the motoring public through fuel taxes, not the bicycle community.

To take away precious lane(s) and give it to the 1% is BS. We need more lanes not less, double stacked if possible.

The goal in my opinion is to frustrate and guilt trip the motoring public out of their cars period. While celebrities and politicians give up nothing.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #23
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,367 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessBlaster View Post
To take away precious lane(s) and give it to the 1% is BS. We need more lanes not less, double stacked if possible.
The number of cars always expands to the point of congestion however many lanes are provided. Without the bicycle lanes there would be even more cars on the road.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #24
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,373 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Like a problem in hydrodynamics, the most frequent cause of congestion is driver impatience leading to speeding leading to non-laminar flow leading to snarls. (Figuratively and literally if the driver is rabid enough.)

The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: