Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #151
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough
Re: Orlando Shootings

So what you're saying is that if Trump says he's going to build a wall along the Texas border with Mexico, Texas can say no?

Col

Old 03-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #152
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

U.S.C. Article 1 Section 9 item 7
No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

Trump could build a wall with his own money. Only congress can appropriate funds for a Federally financed wall. You would be best served by spending some time learning HOW other governments work so that you can understand what abilities a given political position holds. Remember, some would believe the Queen could have you killed if she didn't like you.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #153
ColinEssex
Old registered user

It seems to me that any system of government that holds presidential elections and the one with the lowest number of votes from the populace wins, must be weird.

Anyway, back to Orlando shootings.

The mass rallies and protests that it sparked off. Do you think they will have any effect on anybody or anything?

Col

Old 03-28-2018, 03:48 AM   #154
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post
It seems to me that any system of government that holds presidential elections and the one with the lowest number of votes from the populace wins, must be weird.
Please read-up on the Electoral College. The US is technically not a democracy. It is supposed to be a republic. But over the years that distinction has been evaporating. The US has been slowly creeping towards more mob based rule otherwise known as democracy.

Furthermore, the selection of the United Kingdom's Prime Minister is not based on the popular vote either. So your concern over how the US President is selected seems a bit misplaced.

Last edited by Steve R.; 03-28-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:39 AM   #155
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,029 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The mass rallies and protests that it sparked off. Do you think they will have any effect on anybody or anything?
That's actually a very fair question. My personal opinion is, not right away. Our system is designed to keep us from rash action unless it is also IMMEDIATELY and OBVIOUSLY necessary to a wide range of (congressional) people.

Case in point: The declaration of war after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii in 1941 was a next-day decision of Congress. And yes, that is an example from over 75 years ago because there are so few cases that meet my stated criteria. That's because a true consensus of that magnitude is incredibly rare.

To the point of your question, I believe that these protesters, particularly those who are still of what we call "secondary school" age, will influence a lot of people, but the REAL effect will be four to eight years from now, when that lot becomes voting age. Right now, the politicians can still discount them. But if they reach the voting booth, there will be no more discounting and a lot fewer debates. They will become a voting bloc of considerable fervor and as such will be "a force to be reckoned with" as the phrase goes.

That's my take on it, Col. Hope it was clear enough.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #156
Steve R.
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
Simply focusing on eliminating guns deemed inappropriate in today's society will not address the mental/social issues that individuals face in today's society. Nor will will it make the government/bureaucracy act in a responsible manner.
Link between mass shooters, absent fathers ignored by anti-gun activists

Comment from OlvieTrumpet.
Quote:
"Feminized modern society has downplayed time and again the importance of men in the family. The government and courts have not helped much with all of their programs that "reward" single mothers if they destroy the family. The education system spews out garbage like "toxic masculinity" on ever younger children and men in the media are often portrayed as complete idiots or just evil. Chateau Heartiste, IIRC, posted a point that 26 of the 27 biggest mass shooters in US modern history came from single mother households. Society needs to at least begin acknowledging that men are indeed important in children's lives."
Those on the political left will never acknowledge that their policies of "helping' people may have negative unintended effects.

Last edited by Steve R.; 03-28-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #157
Mark_

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.

@ Steve,

Down side of politics stepping farther and farther away from individual accountability. If you try to hold someone with a "Disability" or "Minority status" accountable your are crucified in the court of public opinion. Better to simply ban anything that could be an influence rather than ask each person to do what is proper.

By blaming the weapon, you can excuse the massive systemic failure in the State of Florida. You can ignore a system that did not address the behaviors of an angry "Orphan" and politicians can divert attention away from their failure.

The children that today are walking out of class are doing so because they have a system that is protecting itself and using them. Some of the students have figured this out. Others see this as a chance to have their moment of fame and glory and don't care that they stand on the dead bodies of their class mates to have it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_ For This Useful Post:
Steve R. (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #158
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough

The 2nd Amendment is an outdated piece of legislation and needs to be overhauled..

The Right to bear arms was written over a hunderd years ago when the gun of the day was a lead shot musket, that fired about 4 rounds a minute if you quick at reloading it..

I'm pretty sure the 2nd Amendment was not written at the time to take into account Assault Rifles that fire 60 rounds a minute...

Outdated and needs to be reworked, but never will be whilst the Politians are in the pockets of the NRA..
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #159
Mark_

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post
The 2nd Amendment is an outdated piece of legislation and needs to be overhauled..

The Right to bear arms was written over a hunderd years ago when the gun of the day was a lead shot musket, that fired about 4 rounds a minute if you quick at reloading it..

I'm pretty sure the 2nd Amendment was not written at the time to take into account Assault Rifles that fire 60 rounds a minute...

Outdated and needs to be reworked, but never will be whilst the Politians are in the pockets of the NRA..
The founding fathers were very familiar with repeating arms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Now they never envisioned a system by which their printed words would appear magically before another, so your logic would best be used to rework that outdated 1st amendment. Course to do so properly you'd need to find a local print shop capable of producing your pamphlets for distribution.

For the true topic, we do have very disturbed people who commit horrid acts. This is not new. Telling those who are law abiding that you believe they should have their rights curtailed because you lack extensive knowledge on the topic does not help address how to identify and help those who are not mentally sound. It also focuses on a rather benign issue compared to the multitude of other ways that people kill one another.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #160
Steve R.
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post

When the 2nd Amendment was adopted, few envisioned a future US that promotes welfare, vilifies white males, glories single mothers, considers certain free speech to be hate speech, and bastardizes Christian values. The progressive left needs to consider the possibility that their proposed social engineering has negative unintended social consequences that allows for a negative mental health climate, which may be acted-out through a mass murder event. A very deplorable situation.

PS: Some on the progressive left even believe that it is perfectly acceptable to physically attack a person that they disagree with under the guise of "self-defense" since that person will obviously be invoking "hate speech". Given that some on the left desire to use physical force to impose their political will, those (on the right) with guns may be reluctant to give them up.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #161
ColinEssex
Old registered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
That's my take on it, Col. Hope it was clear enough.
Yes thanks Doc. As always the voice of reason and sensibility.

Shame some other posters here can't come up with sensible comments instead of stupid snide remarks a two year old could improve on.

Col
Old 03-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #162
ColinEssex
Old registered user

Why is the NRA so powerful? Surely it is just a club like swimming or basketball.

It seems (to an outsider) that the NRA controls the president, a bit like the CIA or FBI do. I'm sure the local bridge club hasn't that power, or maybe they have in The USA's weird politics.

Col
Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #163
Mark_

Quote:
Why is the NRA so powerful? Surely it is just a club like swimming or basketball.

It seems (to an outsider) that the NRA controls the president, a bit like the CIA or FBI do. I'm sure the local bridge club hasn't that power, or maybe they have in The USA's weird politics.

Col
NRA is an organization for shooters that has about 9 million members. It has no control over any politician other than by campaign contributions.

FBI and CIA do not control the president. That makes about as much sense as saying the BBC controls the Queen or PM.

Then again if your in a nation where a person has the right to start wars just because of who their parents are, you'd probably see many other nations politics as weird.

The NRA has far more members than your local bridge club.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #164
ColinEssex
Old registered user

I like it, so innocent. If you believe that about the NRA. . . . Why do you think they contribute tens of millions to politicians?

You know what, I think I'll continue this conversation in the next serial killing thread in a month or so. I reckon it's run its course here. Let's hope the next one isn't boring guns again.

Col
Old 03-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #165
Mark_

Quote:
I like it, so innocent. If you believe that about the NRA. . . . Why do you think they contribute tens of millions to politicians?
From your posts regarding how the United States Government works, I'll consider the source for this.

Quote:
You know what, I think I'll continue this conversation in the next serial killing thread in a month or so. I reckon it's run its course here. Let's hope the next one isn't boring guns again.

Col
Next one? Being optimistic? Well, I'll wait for the next thread for your reply. After all, you won't reply here with a post like that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: