Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
mkdrep
Newly Registered User

mkdrep is on a distinguished road
No query results if Field left blank

I have set up a simply query as shown in attached (.pdf)
[specjobs] is my main Project database, [Job Process] is where the users put their project notes. [Architect] is a database containing Architectural Firms that would be involved in the design of the Project

The way the query is set up, I would like the Architect info included in the report I generate. Unfortunately, not all projects have an Architect involved in it, so those projects will not show up on the report.

How can I get a project to show up on a report even when it does not have an Architect involved?

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Empty_AIA_Info_In_Qry.pdf (46.6 KB, 27 views)

mkdrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,901 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice
Re: No query results if Field left blank

Your diagram indicates these tables are related 1:1.
You should review the picture and info to see what data is available in the various JOINs .

I have a feeling that there may be some hidden entities based on your specjobs table.
Seems JT_ might signify something
Status, JobBidDate,EU_Contact,JobTrackDate....may indicate different "things" that are not expressly identified in your pdf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,952 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Double or right click on the join line between the tables to edit the join and the correct selection should be obvious.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbaldy For This Useful Post:
mkdrep (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP will become famous soon enough MajP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Your diagram indicates these tables are related 1:1
I am not sure what you are seeing but that is not what it is showing. A 1-1 will have a one on both sides.
1-----------------1
Which is done by linking two indexed unique fields.

Nothing on the end shows that referential integrity is not set
.------------------.
Even if it is a 1 to many without refential integrity you still get nothing on the end of the lines.

The arrows show inner and outer joins and having nothing to do with how tables are related.
MajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

I'm not seeing a clear recipe for success without 2 queries as the architect join doesn't involve a PK field. IMHO, the AIA_ID PK should be linked to specjobs but there is no field for it. Would have to play around to be sure but the Firm fields look like a many many join, plus there is the issue of nulls in specjobs.
Suggest you avoid spaces in object names and not just fields.
Micron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
mkdrep
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
Double or right click on the join line between the tables to edit the join and the correct selection should be obvious.
That did it! I changed the JOIN between [specjobs].[firm] and [Architect].[Firm] to "All records from 'specjobs' and only those records from "Architect' where joined fields are equal."

Thank you very much!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
mkdrep
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
I'm not seeing a clear recipe for success without 2 queries as the architect join doesn't involve a PK field. IMHO, the AIA_ID PK should be linked to specjobs but there is no field for it. Would have to play around to be sure but the Firm fields look like a many many join, plus there is the issue of nulls in specjobs.
Suggest you avoid spaces in object names and not just fields.
I appreciate the suggestion about avoidng spaces in object names. Unfortunately, I wrote a lot of this program YEARS ago when I didn't realize spaces could become a problem. Too many changes would have to be made and I haven't really run into any issues.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,952 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdrep View Post
That did it! I changed the JOIN between [specjobs].[firm] and [Architect].[Firm] to "All records from 'specjobs' and only those records from "Architect' where joined fields are equal."

Thank you very much!
Happy to help!

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

Well, I guess I didn't have enough data that I made up because that didn't work for me. Still think the table relationship isn't correct - assuming for a given record, you are storing the same text value in both places yet there's no PK field involved at all.

Micron is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: