Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Debates

Old 06-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #16
jleach
Newly Registered User

jleach will become famous soon enough
Re: Flat Earth and Hollow Earth Theories

I'll listen to just about anything that comes from an actual musical instrument (sorry Techno) and isn't written by someone in a suit (sorry most modern chart hits).

BBVD: great music, my only critique would be that the singer could sound a tad less white (cool namesake for the band too!).

For classical, I like something with a bit more of an edge: Vivaldi's 4 Season as performed by Mari Samuelson in her early days - a bit rough around the edges in terms of technicalities, but an amazing amount of raw edge that it seems only the young can bring forth in her early records on youtube.

Lately I've been on an Avishai Cohen kick (his trio work, specifically). Excellent jazz standup bassist.

Good stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Microsoft MVP 2012-2016

Last edited by jleach; 06-12-2018 at 03:06 PM.
jleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,402 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

Although there are electric organs / synths as well as Piano involved have a listen to Bill Laurence's own material , he's keyboard player for Snarky Puppy. Very immersive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #18
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,038 Times in 947 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Actually, I still play my electronic organ. It's a Technics F5, full console style, and it conforms to the MIDI standard (though I have not tried to do anything with that). There used to be some YouTube recordings from a fellow who played a Technics F5 but a lot of them have been pulled because he went commercial with them.

When I play, it is the old Broadway stuff, but I'll also do rock, ballads, and some light classical. As to "anything that comes from an actual musical instrument" - trust me, it is an actual musical instrument. My personal playing style is a mix of Earl Grant (whom I never met) and Eddie Baxter (whom I met more than once - nice guy). Both of them are gone now.

The only musical things I don't let in the house are angry "gangsta" rap; howlin' dawg country laments that induce dogs to sing along; and super heavy, beyond psychedelic, eardrum-bursting, clanging-guitar rock where you hope the guitar strings break before your bones do from the sound pressure. Otherwise, I'm fairly ecumenical in what I play on my own keyboards and what I play on the CD box.

When a synthesizer is involved, sometimes it can be fun. For instance, some of the classical realizations from Wendy Carlos (formerly known as Walter Carlos) are quite good. But Isao Tomita's work is hit-or-miss for me. Then again, I have to admit I rather liked the primitive electronic tonalities from Forbidden Planet back in the 1950s.

Looks like this thread diverged from the topic, though. I guess flat Earthers don't want to know about how earthquake resonance from the interior mantle proves that the Earth isn't flat. The frequencies are a bit low, but they are definitely "music of the spheres." Well... "music of the sphere." OK, music of the oblate spheroid.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #19
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,402 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
OK, music of the oblate spheroid.
Phrases you wouldn't expect tor hear on a database forum. ^^ No 1. ^^

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: