Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Web Design and Development

Old 08-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
Hoffman
Newly Registered User

Hoffman is on a distinguished road
Creating a website

Hi all,

I'm looking to create my own website. Nothing fancy and not for business, just somewhere to share my photos as I've recently taken up photography. Any advice for where or how might be best to do this? Other than social media

Thanks in advance

Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #2
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 3,238 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice
Re: Creating a website

find a website provider who has a template close to what you want - I'm not recommending them, but check out sites like godaddy or webpress.

Also google 'web templates' or similar
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Anakardian
Newly Registered User

Anakardian is on a distinguished road

Google has a free website service you can use.
I am sure there are other places that have a similar service you can use.

If you have your own webiste, there is a chance that your hosting company will have a webiste template you can use. Some of them have a one-click setup.
Otherwise you can use something like wordpress to get a pretty good start.

Anakardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:56 AM   #4
stopher
AWF VIP

stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough

If you build your own website then you will be investing quite a bit of time in the site development. You will also have to think about how to present your pictures. If you are new to website design then your content will be static meaning you will have to design the website each time you add more content. There are tools to overcome this of course but if your main goal is sharing your pictures, you may find this route a bit tedious. You want to focus on publishing images not spending too much time with the mechanics.

Anakardian mentioned Wordpress which has a gallery tool for handling all your images and making it easy to display in blogs or as a gallery. Note that Wordpress comes in two formats. One is hosted by yourself (or a 3rd party hosting service). The other is hosted online at wordpress.com. Both are free and setup it pretty quick and easy.

Also consider image websites such as Flickr which obviously specializes in publishing images on the web. The emphasis is on ease of publishing and presentation. As an aside, my company (and I guess many others) often trawl such websites to find images to use in our marketing materials. Such sites will handle the copyright and payments for usage of images for you. They do differ from site to site if that is important to you.
stopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:19 AM   #5
Hoffman
Newly Registered User

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies!
@Stopher - "You want to focus on publishing images not spending too much time with the mechanics" - exactly!!

So following you guys' advice, I think WordPress is probably the way to go. I've been doing a bit more research (I really am a terrible amateur with this stuff!) and by the sounds of it, it should be pretty straightforward. However, there's one thing I'm a tad confused about. One guide I was reading talks about wordpress.org and wordpress.com, and apparently wordpress.com is better for beginners - what exactly is the difference then, and how do I make sure I sign up with wordpress.com as opposed to .org? Sorry if this is a really silly question, like I said I am a novice in this department.
Anyway, thanks again (and in advance) for your help.

Last edited by Hoffman; 01-16-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #6
stopher
AWF VIP

stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies!
@Stopher - "You want to focus on publishing images not spending too much time with the mechanics" - exactly!!

So following you guys' advice, I think WordPress is probably the way to go. I've been doing a bit more research (I really am a terrible amateur with this stuff!) and by the sounds of it, it should be pretty straightforward. However, there's one thing I'm a tad confused about. One guide I was reading talks about wordpress.org and wordpress.com, and apparently wordpress.com is better for beginners - what exactly is the difference then, and how do I make sure I sign up with wordpress.com as opposed to .org? Sorry if this is a really silly question, like I said I am a novice in this department.
Anyway, thanks again (and in advance) for your help.
Just go to www.wordpress.com and click on the "create blog" option. I have not done it for a while but it will hold you hand from there. Don't worry too much when choosing from the various themes and options - as I remember you can tailor everything later.

I look forward to seeing your site listed here within the hour
stopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #7
Hoffman
Newly Registered User

Great, thanks!
Haha, I admire your confidence in me...

Old 11-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
tomjackman351
Newly Registered User

tomjackman351 is on a distinguished road

I suggest you to search good wordpress themes for your website from themeforest. There are such themes available there which specially designed for photographers.
tomjackman351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
whqlmethis
Newly Registered User

whqlmethis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjackman351 View Post
I suggest you to search good wordpress themes for your website from themeforest. There are such themes available there which specially designed for photographers.
This. Wordpress + Themeforest
whqlmethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 AM   #10
SimplySarah
Newly Registered User

SimplySarah is on a distinguished road

Agreed that WordPress is a good option. It's incredibly easy to use and has good themes for what you want to use it for. But if you want to play with design yourself instead of going with a pre-designed theme, there are ways that you can build a photo gallery yourself on your website. This article actually explains Lightbox galleries really well, including how to embed it in CSS, JavaSript and HTML. It even discusses image gallery plugins for WordPress, if you are going that route, and image gallery plugins for Joomla and TYPO3 as well. Essentially almost anything you might want to know about creating a website with an image gallery.

Hope that is helpful!

Last edited by SimplySarah; 01-16-2017 at 01:20 AM.
SimplySarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
robert_mann
Newly Registered User

robert_mann is on a distinguished road

If you want to learn basic web design go for Blogger otherwise go for WordPress. You will find everything there.
robert_mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:07 AM   #12
Albert Dicosta
Newly Registered User

Albert Dicosta is on a distinguished road

For sharing pictures try wordpress website and you can easily create site on this platform. But use content also. Content is search engine friendly.
Albert Dicosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:36 AM   #13
arnelgp

Thanked 2,138 Times in 2,049 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

ah.. sir.. dont wake the dead (post).
you never know what might manifest.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 AM   #14
lpapad
Newly Registered User

lpapad is on a distinguished road

Check Wix.com, I think it is easier than wordpress.

lpapad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: