Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
Atomic Shrimp
Humanoid lifeform

Atomic Shrimp has a spectacular aura about Atomic Shrimp has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Ten Commandments of Access

Never shalt thou utter the words 'I don't need to solve [real-world scenario] because it will never happen". The man or woman that says this is to be taken to a public place and beaten with a trout.

Atomic Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,485 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Mike G: Waste of a good trout. How about a channel mullet or a choupique (local Louisiana trash fish)?
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
avcastner (12-26-2013)
Old 06-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
statsman
Newly Registered User

statsman will become famous soon enough

Thou shall never attempt User or Group Level Security on the original database. Thou shalt always use a copy. For when the sinner screws up the Security, he shall always have a safe harbour to which he may return.
Here endeth the lesson.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #19
Lightwave
Ad astra

Lightwave will become famous soon enough

Thou shalt sit the user down preferably at management level and padlock him to a desk with paper copies of his own procedures and tell him to work through each procedure to ensure they are logical.

Thou shalt not let him leave until you are confident that they fully understand the critical paths and potential dangers.

During this minimum week period you shall remember to feed them
Lightwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #20
oumahexi
Free Range Witch

oumahexi is on a distinguished road

On adhereing to these wonderful commandments the Gods will surely favour you with new and wonderous employment opportunities, but beware, thou shalt be smitten if thou leavest in haste with little to no relevant and understandable documentation.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #21
bulrush
Newly Registered User

bulrush is on a distinguished road

You people forgot a major one for managers:

"Thou shalt not hire a database manager without at least a 4 year degree in computer science or the equivalent."

You would not believe how common it is for a secretary to be doing database design. Not that secretaries are bad. But I don't want a brain surgeon fixing my car either.
bulrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #22
shadow9449
Newly Registered User

shadow9449 will become famous soon enough shadow9449 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulrush View Post

"Thou shalt not hire a database manager without at least a 4 year degree in computer science or the equivalent."
That is an interesting point. I do have a university degree in computer science and I'd actually be interested in speaking to others here about their feelings of how much it has or hasn't helped in their career.

SHADOW

shadow9449 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #23
mrrayj60
Newly Registered User

mrrayj60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to mrrayj60 Send a message via Yahoo to mrrayj60

I told my boss about the help I was getting from this site and noted how many people were from England, She quickly noted that its always cold and raining there, no reason to go outside. lol Thanks all, especially the brits! Stay warm and dry.
Ray
Brooksville, Florida
mrrayj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #24
Rabbie
Super Moderator

Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow9449 View Post
That is an interesting point. I do have a university degree in computer science and I'd actually be interested in speaking to others here about their feelings of how much it has or hasn't helped in their career.

SHADOW
When I worked for a major UK computer manufacturer my old boss once told a professor of computer science that the one advantage that a computer science graduate had was that we didn't need to show them how to turn their PC on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #25
shadow9449
Newly Registered User

shadow9449 will become famous soon enough shadow9449 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbie View Post
When I worked for a major UK computer manufacturer my old boss once told a professor of computer science that the one advantage that a computer science graduate had was that we didn't need to show them how to turn their PC on.
That's interesting because when I was in Computer Science, there was a joke passed around like this:

Q: How many Computer Science grads does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None. That's a hardware problem

The truth is that we studied JK Flipflops, logic gates, integrated circuits, multiplexers, and far more. But given anything practical with regard to hardware and we'd be at a loss.

I maintain that I'm a better coder because of the university background than I would have been without it. Before I touched Access, I spent years programming in C and C++ both in school and commercially. I'm curious what other people with degrees have experienced.

SHADOW
shadow9449 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,395 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

The most dasterdly work of the evil one has been entirely overlooked. Set the caption property of the fields in a few tables, set up some relationships, make some queries and build a form or two with the wizard. Change between the design and datasheet views of the tables and queries a couple of times.

Then try to modify the queries or forms using functions in derived fields or the control source of a textbox without getting confused. Table Level Lookups will appear comparatively benign.

Field captions are the programming equivalent of looking up at a stick while turning around, then droping the stick on the ground and jumping over it.

I tried one field caption property just once and immediately deleted it. Last weekend I worked in a database where they had been extensively used. You would swear you were going crazy. Well you would swear at least.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #27
mans123

mans123 is on a distinguished road

Excellent Information....! thanks all poster for sharing your useful views.
mans123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #28
copcop

copcop is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You would not believe how common it is for a secretary to be doing database design. Not that secretaries are bad. But I don't want a brain surgeon fixing my car either.
I totally agree with bulrush's views. A right person at a right place can really create a difference.
copcop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to copcop For This Useful Post:
avcastner (12-26-2013)
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #29
Rabbie
Super Moderator

Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Disagree entirely. There are many good database managers without degrees who have learned their skills on the job and are much better than some people with degrees. The important thing is that the person understands what they are doing and not whether they have a degree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rabbie For This Useful Post:
access7 (08-31-2011), avcastner (12-26-2013)
Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #30
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,022 Times in 988 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiom View Post
The most dasterdly work of the evil one has been entirely overlooked. Set the caption property of the fields in a few tables, set up some relationships, make some queries and build a form or two with the wizard. Change between the design and datasheet views of the tables and queries a couple of times.

Then try to modify the queries or forms using functions in derived fields or the control source of a textbox without getting confused. Table Level Lookups will appear comparatively benign.

Field captions are the programming equivalent of looking up at a stick while turning around, then droping the stick on the ground and jumping over it.

I tried one field caption property just once and immediately deleted it. Last weekend I worked in a database where they had been extensively used. You would swear you were going crazy. Well you would swear at least.

Captions are surely an abomination

I haven't examined all the facilities available in A2007, but are not these "features" continually being extended into other areas - did someone on here not comment about multi value fields (I havent looked to see what they do, but it doesnt sound realtional). I also dont like/see the point of the + sign in tables.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: