Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #16
stevekos07
Newly Registered User

stevekos07 is on a distinguished road
Re: How to go from Intermediate to Advanced - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdemaris View Post
Steve, how did you go about establishing such a beneficial relationship with a professional company? I would like to do the same, but am unsure about who to approach and how.
Sorry about the late reply. In my case, about 60% of my job is developing and maintaining a database for our operations. I built it from scratch as a rank novice, and built up my skills as I went. At a certain point it began to go from an accessory application for minor tasks to the backbone of our operations across several locations with a growing list of users.

At my suggestion to my employer, we engaged a company to review and assess the database for any structural problems or security issues, and make recommendations and adjustments as they saw fit.

As we were working through this process, I was happy that the overall assessment was that they were quite impressed with the quality of my work considering my novice level on commencing the build. After a discussion around how marketable my skillset would be in the marketplace, this has now led to the formation of an arrangement as described above.

I have yet to see this come to fruition from this company, but I have since taken the bold step of starting to make known to friends and family etc. that I am available to assist with database development projects. Having the in-principle arrangement in place with this company I am much more confident about stepping out in this way.

So far I have one completed project outside of my work under my belt, which I was paid a reasonable amount for, and I am looking forward to more work from referrals as the word gets out.

I think that one area of potential business is helping small businesses who are struggling with managing their business using spreadsheets, to convert to Access instead. This will mean taking on fairly basic projects that will deliver high productivity gains for the customer, and make me look better than what I am .

My suggestion is to open up a dialog with a few professional companies around your area to explore such potential arrangements. My understanding is that many professional database developers would appreciate having someone they could utilize for intermittent assistance on large projects or to have someone available to refer small projects that they don't really want to take on.

stevekos07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,574 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I have found that the an excellent way to raise your skill level is to learn by examining how others do things. I am talking about really READING someone else's code; not to copy it by rote but to actually UNDERSTAND why it does what it does and why it works. In other words, START with someone else's solution to a problem and try to decide WHY something was done that way. Work backwards knowing that the code IS the solution to a problem.

The Northwind database and some of the databases and snippets available through the forum can give you insights on how to do certain tasks. Seeing how someone else approached the problem might eventually give you a new set of tools for your toolkit.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
stevekos07
Newly Registered User

stevekos07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
I have found that the an excellent way to raise your skill level is to learn by examining how others do things. I am talking about really READING someone else's code; not to copy it by rote but to actually UNDERSTAND why it does what it does and why it works. In other words, START with someone else's solution to a problem and try to decide WHY something was done that way. Work backwards knowing that the code IS the solution to a problem.

The Northwind database and some of the databases and snippets available through the forum can give you insights on how to do certain tasks. Seeing how someone else approached the problem might eventually give you a new set of tools for your toolkit.
I have found too that by downloading and working through the templates offered in the standard Access package is a great way to learn. I am still working through Northwind Traders, which is a treasure-trove of opportunity to learn. Also, there are various tutorials based on NWT online. One thing I do is to look at the database, work through the various tables, queries, forms etc. and see how they do what they do, learning the code and techniques as I go.

The world of data management is almost infinite in scope, and in a sense nobody is ever going to be an absolute expert in every aspect. That's why forums like this are so valuable!

stevekos07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
Allard
Newly Registered User

Allard is on a distinguished road

My two cents. I work with access daily, I earn my money with manipulating microsoft office . What I have learned is that you will always be a beginner. The moment you think you are an expert, you are lost. I learn new things nearly everyday. And I love learning them. I always have an open mind on how people design and build things. I have never used a Class in my professional career. But that does not mean I do not know how they work or what they are. Because sometimes an app might come by with a class that needs some tweaking.
What I am trying to say, you will never stop learning if you do it right. There isn't so much right or wrong on a certain level. There are means to an end.
Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #20
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

I don't use classes in MS Access either. I have written only one by way of a hobby project to learn about them, which I find quite useful, however I made it over complicated. I have seen one or two classes by others which I thought wow that's useful! But I've never found a need to use them. In a way you are using class's all the time in MS Access. The main one being A Form itself, a class.
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allard View Post
What I have learned is that you will always be a beginner.
I agree, that is so true!
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #22
officecomsetup
Newly Registered User

officecomsetup is on a distinguished road

Moving from one stage to the next is important rather than dodging. This would help in building a better foundation.

officecomsetup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: