Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Nano
Newly Registered User

Nano is on a distinguished road
Ignoring null criteria in a multi-criteria query…

Hello, I am working on a query that uses 3 combo boxes in a form to use as criteria in a query. As it is private data let’s say the combo boxes are “Model”, “color” and “size”. So far I have been about to query data if all three combo boxes are filled out correctly and matches a record. However I would like it to be able to show matching records if only 1 or 2 of the boxes are filled.

For example if the user selects red as the color I would like a query to show all of the records that are red regardless of the model or size. Or if they select Model Z I want the query to show all the colors and sizes for Model Z.

How would I do this?

Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,051 Times in 3,987 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Ignoring null criteria in a multi-criteria query…

One way:

http://access.mvps.org/access/queries/qry0001.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbaldy For This Useful Post:
Nano (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Nano
Newly Registered User

Thanks works great!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Nano
Newly Registered User

Well maybe not, now it brings back all of the records even if it doesn't meet the other criteria
Old 10-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

The "And's" and "or's" and parentheses might have gotten screwed up. Access will do crazy things to it in design view, but in SQL view you'd want this type of thing:

WHERE (Field1 = Combo1 OR Combo1 Is Null) AND (Field2 = Combo2 OR Combo2 Is Null)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Nano
Newly Registered User

Ok here is the code I pasted in in the SQL view to replace the old "Where" however now it is prompting me for it type of data rather then looking at the form. Do you see a problem with my code?

WHERE ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![ModelCB] = ModelCB OR ModelCB Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![colorCB] = colorCB OR colorCB Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![sizeCB] = sizeCB OR sizeCB Is Null)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Is the form open when the query runs? It needs to be. If it is, something must be misspelled.

Also, the second part of each should refer to the combo, not the field:

WHERE ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![ModelCB] = ModelCB OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![ModelCB] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![colorCB] = colorCB OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![colorCB] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![sizeCB] = sizeCB OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![sizeCB] Is Null)

Old 10-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Nano
Newly Registered User

Yes the form is open when running this query.
Ok, I will fix that part, that is likely my problem.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Nano
Newly Registered User

No sadly it is still not working. I might have to try something else like an iif statement.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Can you post the db here?

Nano (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Nano
Newly Registered User

No I can't, it is for my job and has too much private information to wipe. I am sure I can figure it out with iif statements eventually. Although it would be a whole lot simpler this way.

Thank you for trying.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
Brianwarnock
Retired

Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light

What Paul has suggested is the bog standard approach so should work. In what way is it not working? Post your SQL code again.

Brian

I do not have Access these days 2015
Brianwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
Nano
Newly Registered User

Here is the full SQL code: (Note: I have changed the names of the fields to protect the data)

SELECT [Product Table].[Product ID], [Product Table].Barcode, [Product Types].Model, [Product Types].[Color Group], [Product Types].Size, [Product Table].[%], [Product Table].Solution, [Product Table].Quantity, [Product Table].Unit, [Product Table].[Created by], [Product Table].[Date Created], [Product Table].[Date Updated], [Product Table].Location, [Product Table].[Current Lot Number], [Product Table].Retired
FROM [Product Types] INNER JOIN [Product Table] ON [Product Types].[Product ID Code] = [Product Table].[Product ID]
WHERE ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![ModelCB] = ModelCB OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![ModelCB] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![ColorCB] = ColorCB OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![ColorCB] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![SizeCB] = SizeCB OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![SizeCB] Is Null);
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

You appear to have used the combo names instead of the field names. Try

SELECT [Product Table].[Product ID], [Product Table].Barcode, [Product Types].Model, [Product Types].[Color Group], [Product Types].Size, [Product Table].[%], [Product Table].Solution, [Product Table].Quantity, [Product Table].Unit, [Product Table].[Created by], [Product Table].[Date Created], [Product Table].[Date Updated], [Product Table].Location, [Product Table].[Current Lot Number], [Product Table].Retired
FROM [Product Types] INNER JOIN [Product Table] ON [Product Types].[Product ID Code] = [Product Table].[Product ID]
WHERE ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![ModelCB] = Model OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![ModelCB] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![ColorCB] = [Color Group] OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![ColorCB] Is Null) AND ([Forms]![Imput CSG]![SizeCB] = Size OR [Forms]![Imput CSG]![SizeCB] Is Null);

Nano (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #15
Brianwarnock
Retired

Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light

I concur with Paul, I think that this would be more easily avoided if the criteria were typed as laid out by Paul in post #5

Brian

I do not have Access these days 2015
Brianwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brianwarnock For This Useful Post:
Nano (10-29-2013)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: