Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > VB.NET

Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Ryobi
Newly Registered User

Ryobi is on a distinguished road
Multi Column Combox

Does anybody know how to get multi columns in combo box ? I search on the net but so far no answer. There was one that had the code, but it did not explain as to how to compile the code and using in the program. I have also saw a video on youtube that had a DLL file, but it does show where to get not ? Does any body has any suggestions ?

Thank you

Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
RuralGuy
AWF VIP

RuralGuy is just really nice RuralGuy is just really nice RuralGuy is just really nice RuralGuy is just really nice RuralGuy is just really nice
Re: Multi Column Combox

Have you tried using the wizard to create the combo box?
RuralGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
moke123
Me.Dirty=True

moke123 will become famous soon enough

or have you tried adjusting the column counts and column widths?
0 width will hide a column and anything else (>0) will show it.

moke123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
Ryobi
Newly Registered User

By wizard do you mean the toolbox ? Thanks for the suggestion, but my problem not in creating combo box but with the columns that the combo box will have. The comb box has only have one column and I it did to have more then on like in Access. I have seen a sample where they put data in single column and use "|" as divider for the data, but is it still one column and the when data is extracted form the database and loading into the combo box it will be messy because it goes into only column and only one line is used to load the data into the combo box.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Ryobi
Newly Registered User

monke123,

In Vb.net there column count like in Access, at least I did not see one that is part of the problem with the combo box in Vb.net has only one column.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,636 Times in 2,414 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Open the form in design view & select the combo.
Now go to the Format tab on the property sheet and change the column count & column widths as suggested above

EDIT:
Oops - sorry - the above is for Access not VB.Net. Do you have something similar?
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (9.4 KB, 90 views)

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
Ryobi
Newly Registered User

isladogs,

Thank you for for the suggest, but the photo is for Msaccess. I need the one for Vb.net. Perhaps I have posted the question in the wrong forum.

Thank you

Old 04-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,636 Times in 2,414 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

No it was my error. Realised immediately i'd posted. See comment below the screenshot.

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
Ryobi
Newly Registered User

Re: Multi Column Combox - Changing text in combo box

For moment I am doing a working around the issue by using a "|" between items to divide the single column into multiple columns. When I did this I ran into the issue that when the item is selected the whole column is displayed on the text box when I only need first column. I used the 10 bytes for the first column and I able to extract the data by I can not seem to put this value into the combo box text value. I have tried it various events of the combo box, but no luck so far. Below is an example of the the items in the drop down look like.

Bundy | AL
Dylan | Bob
Bean | Mr.

When I select an item for Example Bundy | AL, I want only Bundy to appear on the Combo box text as the select item, not Bundy| AL. The reason that I want this is because I will searching in the database for that field base on the text of that field.

Does anybody know to fix this problem ?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Tera
Newly Registered User

Tera is on a distinguished road

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...orum=vbgeneral

is it what you're trying to do?
Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
Ryobi
Newly Registered User

Yes, that is what I exactly what I need. I will tried it latter tonight when I get home. Thank you,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: