Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

HillTJ is on a distinguished road
Access Front End Auto Updating.

Hi,

I've installed a utility by Bob Larson (BTABDevelopments) to enable auto updating of front end applications. Install appeared to work, but I could not complete the following step.

6. From the FRONT-END, you MUST set a link to the 'tbl-version_fe_master' in your backend database. If you do not, the process will not work. To link, click File / Get External Data / Link Tables and then browse to the back-end database. Select it and click LINK button. Find 'tbl-version_fe_master.' select it and click OK.

I could not browse to & select the BE database!

Anyone got any experience with this?

Appreciate it.

HillTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough
Re: Access Front End Auto Updating.

Never had a problem linking tables. However, I use VBA to reset table links so I can use UNC path.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,478 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I could not browse to & select the BE database!
This implies some issues in either the mapping itself (perhaps via a drive letter conflict) or the security (permissions) associated with that mapping.

However, I'm a bit confused. If you could not get to the BE file, how did you get the FE file? From where did IT come? Was it not in the same folder as the BE?

The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

June7, thanks, but the problem seems to be that I cannot browse to the BE tables using the inbuilt install utility as described in the instructions reproduced in the original post. It all seemed pretty straight forward!!..Cheers. Do you know how I can fix this?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

Cannot reproduce issue so have no idea how to fix.

If you can browse to the folder with Windows Explorer then should be able to in Access.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
HillTJ
Newly Registered User

All, Got it going & works real well. Problem appeared to be some kind of incompatibility between 32bit (the version I wrote the application in) & 64bit (installed on one of the networked PC's) versions of Access. After replacing the 64Bit version with 32Bit version all worked sweet. I don't understand the differences, but happy days. The project continues..... Thanks to all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: