Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 07-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
TheJoeness
Newly Registered User

TheJoeness is on a distinguished road
PO generator

Good day all,
I made a PO generator on excel, then realized that we need a database to assist in tracking and to reduce the number of places we input the same data. If anybody is willing to help please drop me a message so that I can share all the info, as I have reached a wall in my brain.

I will share the document on this thread for others that also want a business tracker as soon as I'm done. The idea behind it is to aid all aspects of our business except invoicing.

TheJoeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: PO generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeness View Post
If anybody is willing to help please drop me a message
The idea of these forums is that you post your question publicly and then you will get advice from an amazing variety of people with different experiences and ways of doing things. From their responses, you are bound to be able to solve your problem.

However if you have never created a database before, well you might struggle a bit. your best option would be to Jen up on database construction, get yourself a couple of decent books and/or watch some videos.

Alternatively you might be better off employing the services of a professional database developer.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)

Last edited by Uncle Gizmo; 07-15-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Uncle Gizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeness View Post
I made a PO generator on excel,
It just occurred to me that a Purchase Order is essentially an invoice by another name.

One of the early examples provided by Microsoft Access is an invoicing application. I think it was the Microsoft Access 2007 northwind database.

This may well give you a leg up in producing your purchase order system.

There are links to several of the various northwind database examples on my website here:-

https://www.niftyaccess.com/northwind-downloads/

However they are only examples and not fully functioning applications, and they do have some inherent problems particularly the north wind 2007 version. You can find a link to my explanation of one problem I found and the several solutions I offered...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #4
TheJoeness
Newly Registered User

Thanks Uncle Gizmo, I agree it is very similar, I will have a look at the link. We used databases in programming when I was in high school so I'm just a little rusty. I've checked a few videos on the subject but they seem to all stick to the principal of ordering the same stock over and over, unfortunately our orders differ from job to job. That is why I posted the question as I did as I'd like the help from the community in such a way that we all learn together.

I'm actually busy with like a mission statement to describe the function of the DB that I want to add to the post, I feel a lot of companies/individuals can benefit from either the DB itself or the construction. That's also why I want to share the finished/closer to finished product.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:25 AM   #5
TheJoeness
Newly Registered User

In essence I don't want to waste peoples time with my issues but I do need help and love the learning part of it, it teaches my brain to look at problems differently... I don't want to just post my problem and sit and wait for feedback, then I won't know how to fix the problem when I encounter something similar.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,577 Times in 3,455 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

if you want help, you first have to describe what it is you are trying to do.

for context, describe your business (what you buy/sell) and how the 'PO' app fits within that - who's using it (one person/many people, from where (office/home/client location)
Also describe the specific issues you have - 'unfortunately our orders differ from job to job' doesn't tell us anything.

Also explain where you are going with this - how does the app fit with other parts of the business process either existing or to be developed.
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:56 AM   #7
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,988 Times in 1,936 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Joe,

See this link from M$oft re database design.

Another link on database design

Good luck.

jdraw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdraw For This Useful Post:
TheJoeness (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 AM   #8
arnelgp

Thanked 2,427 Times in 2,327 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

just give as a sample excel file as to how the PO is generated.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
TheJoeness
Newly Registered User

JDRAW

I started with that list shown in the first link all ready. I realized that although I know what I want the databases to do I can't convey it properly to others yet. So I'm writing the MO to share with everybody. This will also help other users in deciding if they want to also use it.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #10
TheJoeness
Newly Registered User

Uploading my current PO file now. The idea is to easily select the fixed variables like vendor and all that and then to input all the POs details in a single table for reporting. And then if you have a look at the PRINT sheet, all you have to do is select the PO number from the dropdown and the rest is automatic.

The short of it is I want to know if Access will allow/understand this style of data capturing as shown of the PO sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx PO to share.xlsx (98.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
arnelgp

Thanked 2,427 Times in 2,327 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

access can do that and much more.
TheJoeness (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,484 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

You commented that you were working on a "mission statement" for the DB in question. This is THE crucial time in your DB. You will not find another part so important until you reach final testing. That "mission statement" is your roadmap for whatever happens down the road. It pays you BIG TIME to build a good database "mission and goals" document. Niklaus Wirth, the creator of the Pascal programming language, was quoted as saying "80% of all programming problems originate from bad data design." (He said it in Polish so that is a translation, not a direct quote.)

Quote:
I have reached a wall in my brain.
If you have a good design document and know where you wanted to go, you will find that like the Biblical Joshua at the Battle of Jericho, that document will make those walls come tumbling down.

Don't let the design phase daunt you. Realize that time spent in design is time well spent. It pays dividends when you start code implementation. One of the biggest mistakes people often make with databases is "shooting from the hip" i.e. starting to code before the data design is essentially complete. Oh, sure, you stumble across issues during implementation and have to go back to tweak something. Happens all the time. But you want to get the "big picture" laid out early. That way, the "big ticket" items can be easily implemented.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
TheJoeness (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

To add to Doc's post, can you walk us through how you envision someone using the system? Start with the person taking an order. What do they need to know? What do they record?

Remember that as soon as you say "And the second", you will normally be looking at a child table (or tables) for what you record.

By walking through what you expect, you can sit down with those who do and see if it meets what THEY need. This is often done with end users so that you can avoid big issues later.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,431 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

As a start, the first two tabs will be separate tables and all the little tables on the third tab will be separate tables. Then the repeating part of the PO sheet will become the PODetails table and will contain 1 occurrence of description, price, and qty plus a foreign key that points to the POID of the PO table. So instead of fixing the number of items per PO at 30, each PO can have as many items as you need it to have.

Once you get that done, post back.
TheJoeness (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:51 PM   #15
TheJoeness
Newly Registered User

Thanks to all the help and advice so far, the info I supplied has been very vague, but you guys have been of great help. I considered closing the thread until I can post a proper question, but decided to leave it as is. The "MO" of my database is almost complete, as soon as it is I will post it for all to see and a copy of the DB as well. But once again a big thanks to everybody for their input.

Tags
database beginner , database design

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: