Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 07-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
peskywinnets
Newly Registered User

peskywinnets is on a distinguished road
Dlookup with two criteria

if I have two criteria for a dlookup...one being text & the other a number ...bot stored in variable what would the command be?

So for example, two variables....

search_name = "john"
search_age = 49

I wish to use those variables above to search a table called members for a surname using dlookup...

dlookup("surname","members", name= search_name AND age = search_age )

it's the syntax in red I can't get right ...any ideas?

peskywinnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,401 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dlookup with two criteria

Try
Code:
DLookup("surname","members","[name]=' & search_name & "' And age=" & search_age)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
peskywinnets
Newly Registered User

[Post Self deleted - I spoke to soon & still haven't solved the problem yet!]

Last edited by peskywinnets; 07-18-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,079 Times in 2,797 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

So what happened when you tried DBG's suggestion?

Two other things
1. Name is a reserved word in Access so shouldn't be used as a field name. That's why DBG enclosed it in []
2. Age should never be used as a field as it keeps changing. Use date of birth or year of birth instead and calculate Age in queries as needed.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
peskywinnets
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
So what happened when you tried DBG's suggestion?
I think I got a syntax error for the command (not 100% sure, it was many iterations ago!)

I managed to get it working with this syntax....

DLookup("surname", "members", "[age] = " & search_age & " And [name] = """ & search_name & """")

Point taken about the reserved words...I'm not actually using those words, I just picked those words in my opening post to make following what I was trying to achieve a little easier on the eye.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,670 Times in 3,538 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm not actually using those words, I just picked those words in my opening post to make following what I was trying to achieve a little easier on the eye.
the problem with doing that is that it potentially hides the true problem. If you don't want to show your real names do as you did but say something like 'I've changed the names to make it easier on the eye'
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 AM   #7
peskywinnets
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
the problem with doing that is that it potentially hides the true problem. If you don't want to show your real names do as you did but say something like 'I've changed the names to make it easier on the eye'

it wasn't because I want to keep stuff secret, but more that the actual field names involved are a little obtuse, hence trying to make it a little easier to read ...the reason I didn't make the disclaimer., is because I'd overlooked the fact that they were reserved words(!), but in future I will :-)

Old 07-19-2019, 04:03 AM   #8
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,079 Times in 2,797 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

I only said that Name was a reserved word. Whatever you call it an age field is a bad choice fora different reason as previously explained

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: