Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 06-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #16
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hazardous Living

They also are not typically equipped to handle that much snow.

I remember the first year I moved from Wisconsin to Florida, Florida had a pretty good snowstorm. It actually left a few inches of snow on the ground, something that rarely happens there. The entire city shut down. They didn't have anything to remove the snow from the roads, so it quickly became a hazard. I didn't understand that as a kid because I would walk to the bus stop in a blizzard, but I gladly accepted the snow day.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #17
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,418 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

When it snows in the Greater New Orleans area, the locals have no idea how to handle it either. We don't, as a general rule, have snow chains or snow tires commonly available in our area so when the roads get iced over, it's like the old Bump-a-Car ride at the amusement parks.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #18
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

A couple of my co-workers watched Seattle shut down some years back when they got a couple of inches of snow. They lived in the foothills of central California, so driving through a few inches of snow (even without snow tires or chains) was not a challenge.

kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #19
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,418 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, snow is not really THAT much of a challenge here, either, except in a few places like bridge ramps and very sharp turns that can get iced over in the cold. The worst local road hazard I've ever been through was a crawfish migration.

No, not kidding. There are times of the year when crawfish (Fr. ecrevisse) migrate, probably spawning but I'm not 100% sure of that. One year I was on Interstate 10 highway in New Orleans East, where the I-10 passes through a wildlife sanctuary. The crawfish were migrating across the road en masse, a carpet of crawfish fully covering three lanes and two shoulders of I-10 and probably 40 to 50 feet wide. The pavement was not visible due to the number of them.

Several people (me included) drove very slowly along the road, and I can assure you there was a crunch sound coming from my tires. My tires actually did skid briefly more than once even at slow speed. At least a couple of vehicles had skidded on the crawfish body fluids, though, and hit a guard rail near the migration path.

The most interesting part was that several people had stopped their trucks, got out large baskets, and were shoveling up the migrating crawfish. In New Orleans, a load of freshly caught crawfish means only one thing: Big cooking pots WILL be used soon.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: