Old 12-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
kirkm
Newly Registered User

kirkm is on a distinguished road
Can't find field. Error 2465

From a button click event I'm trying to debug print the value of a field
Code:
debug.print Form_frmList!FileSpec
If I put a Stop in the code and paste that line into the immediate window there is not error and the correct value is shown.
Why does it go to error in the click event ?
The field does exist in the query the Form is based on, but there is no control for that field on the Form. But this is true for some other fields in the query yet I can debug.print them.

kirkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
theDBguy
I’m here to help

Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,633 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can't find field. Error 2465

Hi. Is the button on frmList or a different form?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
kirkm
Newly Registered User

The button is on the Main Form and frmlist is there also but as a datasheet. A subForm? (this confuses me a bit)

Old 12-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
theDBguy
I’m here to help

Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,633 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkm View Post
The button is on the Main Form and frmlist is there also but as a datasheet. A subForm? (this confuses me a bit)
What is the name of the main form?

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,324 Times in 3,000 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Debug.Print Me.filespec if on the same form

Or

Debug.Print Forms!frmList.FileSpec if on another form

Or

Debug.Print Me.frmList.Form.FileSpec if on a subform

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)

Last edited by isladogs; 12-07-2019 at 03:06 PM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
kirkm
Newly Registered User

Many thanks for the replies. I'm sorry this is the sort of thing that drives me crazy. I've spent over 2 hours on this and suddenly it starts working. I've done nothing to fix it.

Trying Colins examples here doesn't seem to work. Is this a clue of some kind?

Debug.Print Forms!frmList.FileSpec
error 2450 Microsoft Access cannot find the referenced form 'frmList'.
Debug.Print Me.frmList.Form.FileSpec
Method or data member not found (with .frmList highlighted)

Debug.Print Form_frmList!FileSpec
This is now working every time.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,324 Times in 3,000 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

How you need to reference a control will depend on where you are calling it from

If its in a subform, you need to reference the name of the subform control.

See http://access.mvps.org/Access/forms/frm0031.htm

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: