Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #16
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: we seem to be getting more visitors lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Are you frequently posting from a cell phone on this forum? That would explain using common cell-phone shorthand. It also would give you the excuse that from a phone, a long message isn't so often an easy thing to do. On a regular keyboard from a real PC, shorthand is an annoyance to those of us who have to read it.
i appreciate your comments richard. the answer is NO, I rarely, if ever, post anything on this forum or any other forum I'm part of, from a cell phone. It's always from a laptop. I guess I've never heard anyone, over 10 years now, other than you, say that shorthand stuff like "ur", "prolly" and the like was annoying to read. Although I think isladogs said something about my use of "prolly". To me, it's just a way of writing a quicker message, and most people understand what it means anyway, don't they?

Is this a generational gap argument between you and I perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tera View Post
Doc, I just wanted to say if somebody is criticizing others for poor or mistakes in writing or usage of words, at least he himself should use correct words in criticizing. Even if it's sent from a phone. He had a lot of mistakes telling others' English is not proper.
Adam, I'm sorry. I didn't meant to be rude
it's no big deal Tera. All I was saying to the recruiter was that it was blatantly obvious that the test writer was from India or China. and it's still well known that idiotic America is taking advantage of those heavily populated countries by employing people who have high level skills for just pennies, which of course is BS. And this is just another case of that crap happening. and of course, they always get what they pay for, just like in this case!

(my solutions are not guaranteed to work. They are just recommendations sourced from problem solving abilities. Consult an MS Access expert on the forum to clarify my solutions if you're unsure they will work for you)
vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #17
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,331 Times in 3,005 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Whether its a generation gap or not, I also find your continual use of shorthand both irritating and a distraction to the point you are trying to convey. Whether its 'prolly' or 'cuz' or 'u r' or 'enuf' or any of the other shortened words you employ regularly, using text speak is off putting for me to read and I suspect for many others.

Tera was right to pick you up in this particular example. You criticized a non-native English speaker for their use of English yet your own grammar and spelling was dreadful.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam (Terry Jones - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Tera (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #18
vba_php
Software Engineer

ok then. i'll stop. it doesn't matter to me either way, but I sure don't wanna be ousted again from here just because of this marginal issue.

(my solutions are not guaranteed to work. They are just recommendations sourced from problem solving abilities. Consult an MS Access expert on the forum to clarify my solutions if you're unsure they will work for you)
Old 12-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #19
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
ok then. i'll stop. it doesn't matter to me either way, but I sure don't wanna be ousted again from here just because of this marginal issue.
Pretty sure you just did it again, they tend to scrutinize the grammar first.
AccessBlaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #20
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I guess I've never heard anyone, over 10 years now, other than you, say that shorthand stuff like "ur", "prolly" and the like was annoying to read.
Really? Then I guess I wasted my time pointing that out about a week ago. I don't think I called it annoying but that was the message I was politely trying to get across.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #21
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
Really? Then I guess I wasted my time pointing that out about a week ago. I don't think I called it annoying but that was the message I was politely trying to get across.
well as you can probably tell by now Micron, I don't pay much attention to these things, which I've always considered "marginal" at best. But like I've already said, I'll stop doing it since so many people here seem to be against it. I write this way on the net but I certainly don't speak that way in real life. That's one of the reason I hate internet communication. It's so impersonal. I don't see how people can instill any trust by doing it.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #22
Micron
AWF VIP

Bingo! My kids seem to all prefer texting and I think it's stupid. It takes 30 minutes for 2 people to complete a text 'conversation' that can be accomplished in 2 minutes, and texting is way less personal. Like I told you in the other post - what our brains can skip over and still correctly process is amazing - if it resembles what it's supposed to. Reading your stuff is like tongue twisters, but for the brain and eyes. In short, it's so much work that it borders on annoying (OK maybe for others is full blown annoying). I wonder if you've ever had to read much of it, or if you just write it and move on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Micron For This Useful Post:
Tera (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #23
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,731 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

No, Tera, your comments were not out of line considering we are in the Watercooler section. We try to avoid vulgarity, and actual name-calling is terribly frowned upon unless it is clearly in jest, but a dialog on linguistic skills doesn't, to me, cross any boundaries whatsoever.

As to 12 Angry Men, in my high school I was a cast member when we staged that play. (I played as the bigot, who was juror #10 as the script was presented to us.) Great play, great experience.

Back to topic, this thread has drifted to a discussion of skills or lack of same. I know that I try to watch my language and my syntax in answering any question. Many of us do that as a matter of course. But I have to also remember the Parable of the Sower and the Seeds. We cannot chastise a field just because it only yields 60 bushels of grain, not 80 or 100. The field is what it is and does what it does based on its ability. It is wrong to chastise something for being true to its nature.

Therefore, while calling out irony in Adam's statement, I tried to avoid rudeness as well. Which is why my comments included two tangential apologies for daring to answer the question he actually asked. What's that old saying? Beware of asking for what you want, you might actually get it.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
Tera (12-08-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #24
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
I wonder if you've ever had to read much of it, or if you just write it and move on.
if i'm answering a question, i never 'move on'. that would be like leaving someone out in the cold, the deep end of the pool, up the creek without a paddle. i re-read my own stuff all the time and I never have an issue following it.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #25
Micron
AWF VIP

TDM - I think it's
Beware of what you ask for...
the inference being that it may not be what you really want.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #26
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,731 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I've heard many variations, Micron. The implication either way is that you can ask but it is possible that what you requested wasn't in your own best interests.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #27
Micron
AWF VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
i re-read my own stuff all the time and I never have an issue following it.
Interesting. Then being the author, you must have some sort of 'mental map' that allows you to process such words much easier. To be clear, I'm saying it's actually hard to read. I'm not sure if the objections of some others are only about poor grammar or not.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #28
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
I'm not sure if the objections of some others are only about poor grammar or not.
it's funny you mention that Micron, because most of the software and hardware people I've worked with in my short career have absolutely horrible grammar usage when they talk in person, and I'm not just talking about the foreigners either. actually when it comes to this issue, the foreigners are better than the US citizens! I've even had supervisors fall into this category of people with poor grammar.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #29
Micron
AWF VIP

I don't want to imply that my grammar is impeccable as I probably violate rules around using "who" when I should use "whom" or some other obscure rule. Plus, don't ask me about things like "dangling participle" because every time I look it up, I remember what that means for about a day at most. I just Googled 'common grammar errors" and came across a test that I took for fun. It was too easy - got 15 out of 15. I'm going to look for a more challenging one. What was interesting is that what I thought might have been more about spelling they characterized as grammar errors. Improper use of lose/loose; losing/loosing; vice/vise; break/brake; then/than; advise/advice is becoming very prevalent and I don't think it's because of English being a second language. If you grew up in North America (OK, or UK) you should know the difference between then and than for crying out loud. If not, then I admire anyone who can communicate in English at any level because they're better at it than I am at any other language.

http://www.softschools.com/quizzes/g.../quiz3374.html

Last edited by Micron; 12-08-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelin and gramur
Old 12-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #30
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,331 Times in 3,005 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

In my experience across multiple forums, many respondents whose spelling and grammar are both excellent are those for whom English isn't their first language

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam (Terry Jones - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: